Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:30:03 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Fitzpatrick Named Week 1 Starter
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Fitzpatrick Named Week 1 Starter  (Read 2072 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« on: September 08, 2020, 10:30:38 am »

Pretty sure everyone in the world knew this was coming but now it's official.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tua doesn't see the field at all this year. If we started out 2-8 then yeah but I don't think we will. I think we will be fairly competitive this year with Ryan being more than serviceable so you don't want to do a QB change while fighting for a Wild Card spot.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 10:43:48 am »

Rosen started out well but Tua easily surpassed him. I'm excited to see Tua in the offense but it's really hard to expect him to play behind this O-line right now. I think it's highly likely Fitz gets hurt and he will get his chance way before we are out of the race. The fact we dumped Rosen only confirms the team is ready for that scenario.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 01:24:30 pm »

I'm disappointed by this news.

In general, I support letting the guy who helps you win play the game, so I don't fault the coaches, but I was wishing that Tua would win the job.

I think that you have to shoot for the playoffs every year, even if they seem out of reach.  If we get a little bit hot, they won't play Tua.  We will have to play poorly in order for Tua to be moved to starter.  So, as a fan, it's a weird place to be.  You want your team to do well, but you also want to see your new QB develop.

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 03:10:05 pm »

It wasn't realistic to think that Tua could outright win the job with no preseason. Even with a preseason it would have been a longshot.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 03:32:41 pm »

I'm disappointed by this news.

In general, I support letting the guy who helps you win play the game, so I don't fault the coaches, but I was wishing that Tua would win the job.

I think that you have to shoot for the playoffs every year, even if they seem out of reach.  If we get a little bit hot, they won't play Tua.  We will have to play poorly in order for Tua to be moved to starter.  So, as a fan, it's a weird place to be.  You want your team to do well, but you also want to see your new QB develop.

Holding a clipboard for a year to learn the speed of the game and give the O-Line time to gel so you don't get killed can be extremely valuable.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 09:03:55 pm »

I remember Tannehill winning the job from Matt Moore in the preseason as a rookie.  I was fine with that.

However, every day Tua is not getting hit is a day his body has a chance to build up, and he can get bigger and stronger.  So I'm fine with this, too.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 07:39:09 am »

Holding a clipboard for a year to learn the speed of the game and give the O-Line time to gel so you don't get killed can be extremely valuable.

I think this is just an outdated way of doing things.  I think the experience is more valuable.

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 07:45:09 am »

I think this is just an outdated way of doing things.  I think the experience is more valuable.
Patrick Mahomes says hello.  Not having a proper offseason plus it will give Tua a chance to bulk up in an NFL strength program like Russell Wilson did (he was 205lbs his rookie year, he floats around 230lbs now...Tua is around 215 lbs now) are good reasons to keep him off the field this year.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 08:34:16 am »

Patrick Mahomes says hello.

I could just as easily argue that he wasted a year of his career doing nothing.

I drink your milkshake!
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2020, 10:01:47 am »

I remember Tannehill winning the job from Matt Moore in the preseason as a rookie.  I was fine with that.

However, every day Tua is not getting hit is a day his body has a chance to build up, and he can get bigger and stronger.  So I'm fine with this, too.

I agree on both of those points.  I was fine with Tannehill winning the starting job in the preseason as a rookie and I'm also fine with Tua taking more time to strengthen, learn, etc.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2020, 12:14:05 pm »

I could just as easily argue that he wasted a year of his career doing nothing.
And I would argue he couldn't read a defense before last season, so he was really setup for failure if he started his rookie year.  Plus Alex Smith was balling.  Plus he credits Alex Smith with how he progressed.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/06/patrick-mahomes-kansas-city-chiefs-breakout-performance-alex-smith

Argue away though.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 12:17:10 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2020, 12:16:12 pm »

Dave ... we have two rookie offensive linemen who have never played an NFL game since there was no preseason games. Richmond Webb said to expect a lot of "extra" issues out of the gate for this very reason. I have no issue with Tua not having to learn on the run. At least ... not at its worst.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2020, 01:26:44 pm »

Dave ... we have two rookie offensive linemen who have never played an NFL game since there was no preseason games. Richmond Webb said to expect a lot of "extra" issues out of the gate for this very reason. I have no issue with Tua not having to learn on the run. At least ... not at its worst.

This is probably the biggest issue. Tua needs to put on some size and our O-Line needs to gel or let us know that the guys we got just won't be cutting it for 2021. Tanny had a hell of a hard time progressing as a QB because he was being sacked 6 times a game. Don't want to repeat that with Tua.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2020, 01:47:09 pm »

This is probably the biggest issue. Tua needs to put on some size and our O-Line needs to gel or let us know that the guys we got just won't be cutting it for 2021. Tanny had a hell of a hard time progressing as a QB because he was being sacked 6 times a game. Don't want to repeat that with Tua.

There's another top draft choice whose career was ruined because they put him behind a really bad O-Line.  His name is David Carr.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2020, 06:37:38 pm »

Patrick Mahomes says hello.
I think there are a LOT more successful QBs who were thrown into the fire on day 1, especially if you're talking about top 10 picks.

Of QBs to play in a SB the last decade, Peyton, Flacco, Russell Wilson, Cam Newton, and Matt Ryan all started Week 1 of their rookie seasons.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 06:40:05 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray