Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:51:14 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  I hate the crowd noise being added in the broadcasts
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: I hate the crowd noise being added in the broadcasts  (Read 2398 times)
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2020, 04:11:46 pm »

I watched the opening night baseball game between the Yankees and the Nationals. There was no crowd noise and there were no silly cardboard cutouts of people in the stands. I liked it. There was just something so eerie and cool about a game played in silence. I'd prefer silence to phony fans and crowd noises. I think it's the novelty of the whole thing and it just seems to fit perfectly with how screwy things are in the world right now.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2020, 06:37:16 pm »

I've watched plenty of sports both with and without added crowd noise over the past months and I am 100% on the with-noise team. I simply cannot watch a game without crowd noise.

I'm not sure what noise we were getting in the broadcasts. The reports from a few weeks ago stated that the NFL would provide teams/media with two tracks: One for playing over the stadium speakers and one to be added to the broadcast (which would be in addition to the former). If you listen to the post-game interviews with away team quarterbacks, several said it was really easy to call plays and do a hard count. This fits with the 75 dB limit the NFL has put on the stadium experience.

So when the broadcasts seem really loud, I'm assuming that's due to the second track which only viewers can hear. As I understand it, this is also the only track that contains boos. The way it was reported initially, it seemed like the broadcasters would have pretty much total control over how to use this second track.
David Fulcher

Email
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2020, 10:36:51 pm »

Yeah....this one's tough, I can see from both *crowds* as far as pro-noise vs anti-noise....but overall, I do fine it pretty weird, and a little bit much, like the OP and some of the other posters feel.  I don't know that I'm staunchly against it....like fyo and 'Stroke, I think watching it in total silence might be a bit weird, though also novel.  But it did grate at times.

Hey, maybe if our 'Phins had just played a little better overall, and particularly if they'd managed to pull out the W, maybe I wouldn't have minded it so much after all.   Cheesy

Will be interesting to see how different this week 2 game seems with the (few) fans in the stands for Miami, compared to this past game in Foxboro with none and the canned in/broadcast track alone.....

"I swear to Buddha--if someone challenges my Ping-Pong honor, their fortune cookie will see bad outcome!"

--guy from "My New Haircut", Asian edition
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2020, 10:46:42 pm »

Yeah....this one's tough, I can see from both *crowds* as far as pro-noise vs anti-noise....
I see what ya did there and I approve.  Wink

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2020, 08:52:20 am »

I watched the opening night baseball game between the Yankees and the Nationals. There was no crowd noise and there were no silly cardboard cutouts of people in the stands. I liked it. There was just something so eerie and cool about a game played in silence. I'd prefer silence to phony fans and crowd noises. I think it's the novelty of the whole thing and it just seems to fit perfectly with how screwy things are in the world right now.

Believe me, about halfway through the second game (or if you can stand it that long, maybe the third) the novelty of hearing all the players, refs and sounds of the game with no other noise in the background wears off remarkably quickly...

At first the AFL commentators were talking about how remarkable it was to be able to hear everything because it was new, until someone realized that the viewing audience were switching off en masse because there was absolutely zero atmosphere and it all seemed like a practice game. Even the most amateur games here have some crowd and external noise, it was just too strange for a TV broadcast of what is supposed to be the most professional, multi billion dollar sport in the nation. They tried hard to polish a turd no one was buying into, and about two weeks in the canned crowd noise started appearing in the TV coverage to make it more watchable.

It's interesting to hear/see the NFL is feeding fake crowd noise in the stadiums too which is different to here - it certainly goes part of the way to explain why Cam Newton was still being a FIGJAM to an imaginary crowd during the last game against us.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 08:54:08 am by Downunder Dolphan » Logged
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2020, 09:53:46 am »

I hate the fact that 330 million Americans had to suffer because of the fear mongering of the leftists in Washington over 200,000 deaths.

Fear mongering?  More people have died of covid-19 since 9/11/2020 then died of terrorism or the war on terrorism in the country's entire history including 9/11/01.  We have not overreacted, we underreacted.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2020, 09:58:17 am »

Fear mongering?  More people have died of covid-19 since 9/11/2020 then died of terrorism or the war on terrorism in the country's entire history including 9/11/01.  We have not overreacted, we underreacted.
This thread is about crowd noise being added in the broadcasts, not about how you feel regarding the people that have died, that's what off-topic is for.  Being a mod, I would think you would know this.
David Fulcher

Email
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2020, 10:15:59 pm »

I see what ya did there and I approve.  Wink

He heh...thank ya!!   Smiley

"I swear to Buddha--if someone challenges my Ping-Pong honor, their fortune cookie will see bad outcome!"

--guy from "My New Haircut", Asian edition
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray