Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:03:26 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  How important is it to draft a QB early?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How important is it to draft a QB early?  (Read 861 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: September 17, 2020, 02:22:18 pm »

I heard this on the radio this morning and it kind of surprised me. 22 1st round QBs started in week 1 of the NFL. 2 second rounders did as well. That only leaves 8 teams that weren't in the top and Tom Brady and Russel Wilson are two of those.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 07:35:42 am »

In general you should expect that a greater number of 1st rounders are going to be successful than later round picks (otherwise your scouting department is useless).

However, I think that maybe less of a factor than the fact 1st rounders are given more opportunities than later round picks.  A first round pick that is absolutely terrible his first year ill undoubtedly be given a second chance either on the same team or another team.  A late round pick will get one or two games to prove himself. 

Finally, there aren’t a  ton of second and third round QBs.  QB that reallly aren’t that outstanding are being drafted in the first round.   QBs either get drafted very early or very late.  Ones drafted early will automatically get an opportunity to start, those drafted late were drafted with the expectation o be a backup. 

Your stat doesn’t prove much.  The majority of teams that won this week had a 1st round QB, but also true that the majority of teams that lost this week had a 1st round round QB as well. 

Given how few of the starting QBs were NOT first eprounders, they do represent a disproportionate number of SB appearances, Brady, Wilson, Jimmy G, Brees. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 08:54:23 am »

I heard this on the radio this morning and it kind of surprised me. 22 1st round QBs started in week 1 of the NFL. 2 second rounders did as well. That only leaves 8 teams that weren't in the top and Tom Brady and Russel Wilson are two of those.
How many of them won their game?

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray