Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:15:49 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Rookie QBs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rookie QBs  (Read 1796 times)
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« on: September 20, 2020, 05:34:11 pm »

Joe Burrow 3 TDs the other nite in Cleveland

And just now, Herbet threw his 1st TD against the defending Super Bowl Champions Chiefs

just saying....................... .......
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 07:07:47 pm by hordman » Logged

I'd rather be lucky than good.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 07:58:10 pm »

Watching Herbert definitely makes me want to get Tua in there. Our O-line is better than I had thought so as far as I’m concerned Fitz doesn’t need to be starting any longer unless there’s something we don’t know.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 08:26:54 pm »

Watching Herbert definitely makes me want to get Tua in there. Our O-line is better than I had thought so as far as I’m concerned Fitz doesn’t need to be starting any longer unless there’s something we don’t know.

I think the team is very leery about his conditioning for the NFL right now. He probably still needs to bulk up a bit and make sure that he is 100% healed. If we had a preseason, I don't think he would've played in it.

That being said, if we start 0-5 and it's because Fitzpatrick sucks, they may just throw him out there if they feel he is healthy.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 07:12:14 pm »

I think the team is very leery about his conditioning for the NFL right now. He probably still needs to bulk up a bit and make sure that he is 100% healed. If we had a preseason, I don't think he would've played in it.

That being said, if we start 0-5 and it's because Fitzpatrick sucks, they may just throw him out there if they feel he is healthy.
I disagree with that and I'll tell you why. If they didn't think he could play they wouldn't have released Rosen.  As it is he was next man up from the first play against New England.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 10:14:13 pm »

I disagree with that and I'll tell you why. If they didn't think he could play they wouldn't have released Rosen.  As it is he was next man up from the first play against New England.

That is a good point.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 10:53:07 pm »

Flores had better not mess this one up again like he did with Rosen.

Don't start Tua until you are 100% done with Fitz.  No more of this musical chairs business with a pointless journeyman.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 10:17:38 am »

Don't start Tua until you are 100% done with Fitz.  No more of this musical chairs business with a pointless journeyman.
I completely agree. I just don't think playing Fitz does anything for us right now other than collect a couple of more useless wins. Tua is our future. It would be nice to see if he is going to be able to handle the grind prior to next year. If he is as fragile as his critics have alluded to I'd rather be in position to draft another high QB ala Arizona.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 11:04:45 am »

I completely agree. I just don't think playing Fitz does anything for us right now other than collect a couple of more useless wins. Tua is our future. It would be nice to see if he is going to be able to handle the grind prior to next year. If he is as fragile as his critics have alluded to I'd rather be in position to draft another high QB ala Arizona.

This is where I'm at, as well.  I don't understand sitting Tua at this stage.  It just doesn't make sense to me.

I drink your milkshake!
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 03:42:32 pm »

I think Tua will be out there soon enough.  No reason to rush things at this point.  Something I thought of the other day, Buffalo and the Jets are now entering the third season of their rebuilds with new QB's, so it's not like Miami is going to show huge improvements for another two seasons.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 11:08:33 am »

This is where I'm at, as well.  I don't understand sitting Tua at this stage.  It just doesn't make sense to me.
1.  No offseason
2.  No Preseason
3.  Isn't even a year removed from major hip surgery, I'd rather sit him for as long as we can this first year so he is 100%
4.  A year off gives him time to bulk up in an NFL strength and conditioning program.  Russell Wilson went from 205lbs to 230lbs, I'd like to see Tua do the same, he's 215lbs right now.  If he's bigger, he'll be able to take hits better
5.  We have a very young offensive line, with 2 and possibly 3 rookies if Hunt ever beats out Davis.  The more time they get to play together, the better they will be.  In the mean time, Fitz can take the hits they give up during their growing pains, he's shown to be durable

Having said all that, we will probably see Tua around the time we play the Jets back to back, unless they really turn things around and go on a win streak.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 11:10:07 am by Tenshot13 » Logged
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2020, 02:41:39 pm »

Really hope that Tua isn't mentioned in the same breath as Ryan Leaf 20 years from now because Herbert is killing it so far.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 08:22:44 am »

I feel vindicated at this early point for wanting Herbert on the Dolphins. The guy can play. I'm not saying that Tua can't, I'm just saying I don't think people were giving him enough credit. He made some throws on Sunday that very few QB's can make, let alone rookie QB's.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 10:17:51 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2020, 08:40:51 am »

Spot on, Spider.  The mental part of sports is bigger than a lot of people realize.  Nothing will make a young QB play overly conservative and play in fear like thinking that he is one screw up away from being yanked and replaced (even if only temporarily).   I don't think Rosen is an NFL quality QB, but like you said, Flores didn't do him any favors last year with the musical chairs thing. 

On the bigger picture of when Tua will be put in, I don't think Flores is in any hurry to do it.  Fitz is what Fitz has been his entire career.  Super guy, and a great person to have in the locker room and mentoring Tua.  From a performance standpoint he is also what he has always been.  He looks world class one game and terrible the next.  Flores knows exactly what he has in Fitz.  It is easy for us to say, "put Tua in" but we don't have the liberty of seeing Tua every day in practice like Flores does.  We don't have the liberty of seeing how quickly Tua is picking up the offense mentally every day like Flores does.  So who knows what is going on with the team behind the scenes.  I do think we will see Tua become the starter at some point this season.  But I'm going to stick with my prediction from another thread where I think he will be moved into the starting QB spot after the Week 11 bye week when he get more reps with the starting unit in practice.  That is of course predicated on the wins and losses and Fitz's health being what they already are.  If Fitz gets hurt we obviously see Tua right away.  If the team starts losing every single game and the offense isn't doing anything, we would probably see Tua sooner.  If the team goes on a winning streak and it looks like they might make the playoffs is the only scenario I could envision where we don't see Tua take over the starting job at some point this year.  And yeah, I don't see playoff contention as being a realistic possibility this year. 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray