Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:48:04 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Netflix - The Social Dilemma
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Netflix - The Social Dilemma  (Read 1171 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: September 28, 2020, 12:02:12 pm »

Have you guys watched this? I think most of us knew they were collecting mass amounts of data on each of us but did realize just how much? I can't say I did and in no way knew how they used that against us. I don’t think it’s how much data they collect about a user as much as how much they actually control the user with that data. The control it uses on people has so many different negative effects and it’s getting worse.  Kind of a bummer that the experts didn't offer up any solutions. thoughts?

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 12:44:49 pm »

The fact that this wasn't already well-known by most speaks to the efficacy of their data mining.

Every time I see a friend or family member participating in one of those "list all of the things/people/places that you've done/seen/lived" facebook posts, I just shake my head...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 02:01:59 pm »

But it's so much than that. It pushes each individual for clicks regardless of it's true or not. It's AI and has no conscience or reasoning for right and wrong. It just wants to creates users to sell to their clients (advertising). If you seeing a article on Trump killing unicorns and will get you to click then that's what it will send to you. Click on it and you'll see more articles on similar. Meanwhile real news gets buried because it generates much less clicks than sensationalism.

They also show a huge correlation to social media and the rise of depression and suicides of many of the same reasons.  
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 02:06:43 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 02:38:23 pm »

I haven't seen it  but don't expect it to surprise me. When I  do.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 10:57:58 am »

But it's so much than that. It pushes each individual for clicks regardless of it's true or not. It's AI and has no conscience or reasoning for right and wrong. It just wants to creates users to sell to their clients (advertising). If you seeing a article on Trump killing unicorns and will get you to click then that's what it will send to you. Click on it and you'll see more articles on similar. Meanwhile real news gets buried because it generates much less clicks than sensationalism.

They also show a huge correlation to social media and the rise of depression and suicides of many of the same reasons. 

A local "celebrity" was liking and reposting all sorts of stupid covid-19 conspiracy crap (and a bunch of similar health-crap earlier) and was finally cornered by a reporter and asked wtf she was doing and if she actually believed that shit. Answer? No, she didn't believe it, but it gave her a bunch of clicks and was basically how she was earning her money.

My point... it's not just algorithms that will push crap for money, people are more than willing to do so as well.

Some of my favorite sites do A/B testing on article headlines and "engagement" measurements. They've been fairly open about it and the results are just depressing. The non-informative click-bait headlines consistently garner more clicks and the controversial (non-)topics score better in both clicks and engagement than real in-depth news and analysis.

Until the majority of people stop acting like idiots, we'll all be treated like idiots.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 12:56:37 pm »

Until the majority of people stop acting like idiots, we'll all be treated like idiots.

Adding to calendar...for the day after "Hell Freezes Over"

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 02:48:48 pm »

I think this would upset me and make me nervous, from the sounds of it.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray