Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:01:17 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Is it time for Tua yet?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Is it time for Tua yet?  (Read 5869 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2020, 12:27:35 pm »

Like when Tua as a Freshman was thrown into the National Championship game and won?
So you're saying that the fact that Alabama got to the National Championship game without Tua is meaningless, but the fact they won with him has some meaning?

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2020, 01:19:28 pm »

Unless Fitz takes MIA to the conference championship game, Tua needs to be the starter of 2021 Opening Day.  Beyond that, I don't care if he takes a single snap this year.  

Herbert wasn't coming off of a major injury.  Let Tua continue to get healthy and bulk up.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2020, 01:23:58 pm »

So you're saying that the fact that Alabama got to the National Championship game without Tua is meaningless, but the fact they won with him has some meaning?
I am directly addressing your quote, he was forced into playing and played well.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2020, 03:43:42 pm »

Unless Fitz takes MIA to the conference championship game, Tua needs to be the starter of 2021 Opening Day.  Beyond that, I don't care if he takes a single snap this year.  

Herbert wasn't coming off of a major injury.  Let Tua continue to get healthy and bulk up.

Even if Fitz wins us the Superbowl I would have Tua start Week 1 in 2021.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2020, 04:12:56 pm »

I am directly addressing your quote, he was forced into playing and played well.
Agreed. But he was forced into playing which is not the situation he's in now which was my original point when you brought up Alabama. I have no problem with Tua playing once he NEEDS to play. That day will come and I think he's getting valueable experience watching Fitz work and he'll be ready when it happens.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 04:19:24 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2020, 09:42:37 am »

The difference is that both players HAD to start. Don't know what you don't get about this. Just because those players stepped up to the challenge doesn't mean that Tua will. There's plenty of examples of players being forced into playing and not playing well. When Tua NEEDS to start, he will. Before then you're forcing the issue when it doesn't need to be forced.
LOL ... "Don't know what you don't get about this" but Burrow didn't have to start. They chose too start him because they saw a plan in developing him. They could have kept Dalton or played someone else. As it is Flores isn't making a decision. He is letting the decision get made for him. No risk for him that way and it kind of rubs some people wrong. Kind of like a run, run, pass offense. It's very safe and bland.

Just a word of advice but you may not want to be so finger pointing with your opinion. It isn't the be-all and end-all. It's just an opinion.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Seafort

Email
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2020, 07:50:58 pm »

Theoretically yes, but let's say Miami's offense gells and Miami goes 9-2 the rest of the way. I could see Fitzy come back for two more years to finish his career, while Tua continues to learn on the bench. It's rare when this happens with a rookie quarterback, especially one drafted this high but I recall this taking place with Philip Rivers and Aaron Rodgers. Both of them sat on the bench for three years before finally getting the starting role.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2020, 02:24:00 pm »

As it is Flores isn't making a decision. He is letting the decision get made for him.
Flores HAS made a decision. It's just not the one you agree with.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2020, 02:32:13 pm »

Flores HAS made a decision. It's just not the one you agree with.
Agreeing to let circumstances decide for you is akin to flipping a coin. While it technically is a decision it is only you choosing not to make one.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2020, 02:36:39 pm »

Agreeing to let circumstances decide for you is akin to flipping a coin. While it technically is a decision it is only you choosing not to make one.
He's not doing that. He's stated on multiple occasions that he believes that Fitzpatrick gives his team the best chance to win right now. Based on what Fitzpatrick is doing on the field I don't know how ANYONE can argue with that. When that changes, then it will be time to start Tua. You want Tua to start so he can get experience regardless of whether it means a loss or not. Lots of fans want that. The vast majority of NFL coaches would do what Flores is doing and start the player that gives them the best chance to win.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2020, 03:08:43 pm »

I'm not saying to start him now. I think that ship has sailed. I just think we should have been playing for next season when in fact we are playing for two seasons away. Tua won't play until he gives us the best chance to win or Fitz gets hurt. Either way most likely he and Trevor will be playing about the same time.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2020, 03:42:31 pm »

Pappy, here's what I take issue with that.

Tua may literally never give us the best chance to win RIGHT NOW.  Sometimes a QB has to come in and take their lumps to get acquainted.  There's always some journeyman who can come in and outplay the guy who's never taken a snap before.  So, why not this season?

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2020, 08:01:15 pm »

Pappy, here's what I take issue with that.

Tua may literally never give us the best chance to win RIGHT NOW.  Sometimes a QB has to come in and take their lumps to get acquainted.  There's always some journeyman who can come in and outplay the guy who's never taken a snap before.  So, why not this season?
If that's the case then we absolutely positively chose the wrong QB in the draft. That's not even a question. He absolutely better be the best QB on the team by next year and they better not have to get rid of Fitz for that to happen. If he's not that would be a HUGE disappointment. If Herbert were on the Dolphins, there's a good chance he might be starting now.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 08:04:13 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2020, 01:13:34 pm »

If that's the case then we absolutely positively chose the wrong QB in the draft. That's not even a question. He absolutely better be the best QB on the team by next year and they better not have to get rid of Fitz for that to happen. If he's not that would be a HUGE disappointment. If Herbert were on the Dolphins, there's a good chance he might be starting now.
Dan Marino didn't even win the position in practice. He won it by coming in to games and playing well. His first start was at 6 weeks after .

In his previous action, Marino combined for 240 yards, 3 touchdowns and 1 interception. Shula saw enough to name him the starter in Week 6 of the 1983 season, and wouldn’t look back from there.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2020, 01:56:01 pm »

If Herbert were on the Dolphins, there's a good chance he might be starting now.

Or... If Fitz was the starter in LA to start the season, maybe Herbert isn't starting yet.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray