Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:48:55 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Is it time for Tua yet?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Is it time for Tua yet?  (Read 5871 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2020, 02:15:48 pm »

If Herbert were on the Dolphins, there's a good chance he might be starting now.
If the Chargers' team doctor doesn't puncture Tyrod Taylor's lung, Herbert isn't even starting for LAC.  Herbert didn't earn a start with his play; he got the nod because of Taylor's injury.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2020, 02:21:03 pm »

Or... If Fitz was the starter in LA to start the season, maybe Herbert isn't starting yet.

Herbert is only starting because the medical trainer is a moron who stabbed Tyrod Tyalor in the lung with a syringe. If Tyrod were playing well, Herbert probably isn't starting until say Week 10 if the Chargers were 3-7 at the time.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2020, 08:36:16 am »

Dan Marino didn't even win the position in practice. He won it by coming in to games and playing well. His first start was at 6 weeks after .

In his previous action, Marino combined for 240 yards, 3 touchdowns and 1 interception. Shula saw enough to name him the starter in Week 6 of the 1983 season, and wouldn’t look back from there.
BS. His play in practice is what convinced Shula that Marino needed to play. He was wowing everyone in practice. He clearly was the better QB in practice, but it took a while to convince Shula that his play in practice would translate to the games. I believe it was John Clayton that even compared Tua to Marino and said that Tua hasn't been wowing anyone in practice the way that Marino did. And it took 6 weeks plus preseason for Shula to pull the trigger. Most of you are just over eager for it to happen, that is all. Even Tua's trainer Trent Dilfer said giving him more time to prepare could be good for Tua.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 08:48:55 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2020, 08:39:01 am »

If the Chargers' team doctor doesn't puncture Tyrod Taylor's lung, Herbert isn't even starting for LAC.  Herbert didn't earn a start with his play; he got the nod because of Taylor's injury.
Well he definitely wouldn't have started as soon as he did but we don't know for sure that he wouldn't be playing by now. He's clearly outplaying what Tyrod Taylor has done his entire career.

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2020, 09:35:42 am »

I get it.  The Dolphins have been bad for a long time.  Tua represents hope.  So as fans, we are like little kids at Christmas who can't wait to open up the big present under the tree.   None of us and nobody in the media where we get our information from are privy to the coach's discussions with the other coach's or the coach's private thoughts.  What he or anyone else says to the media is meaningless.  Typically (not always) what happens is that as long as a team is playing well enough to still be in contention for a playoff spot, the coach won't throw the rookie QB in as the new starter.  Maybe a little mop up duty in a game, maybe not.  But typically, a coach won't make a rookie the starter until they are clearly not going to be in playoff contention.  The Bengals started Burrow immediately because the Bengals are terrible and Andy Dalton was gone.  The Chargers started Herbert because the team doctor accidentally deflated Tyrod's lung.  Herbert has played well enough to justify keeping him as the starter.  With the Patriots having a down year, the Dolphins aren't going to be out of playoff contention as early as they usually are this year.  Fitz is hot and cold just like he has been his entire career.  If he puts together 2 or 3 crappy games in a row that the Dolphins lose, they will probably make the switch to Tua.  Or when it becomes obvious that they aren't making the playoffs they will make the switch to Tua.  Tua will be the starter before the year is over.  But sometimes our parents make us wait to open our Christmas presents until after breakfast on Christmas morning.  So just be patient, kids, that present will still be under the tree after we finish breakfast. 
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2020, 12:51:12 pm »

Pappy, here's what I take issue with that.

Tua may literally never give us the best chance to win RIGHT NOW.  Sometimes a QB has to come in and take their lumps to get acquainted.  There's always some journeyman who can come in and outplay the guy who's never taken a snap before.  So, why not this season?

Because you are not playing meaningless games.  In most years Tau would have 4 games to take his lumps, but this year those 4 games were canceled.  You only play a guy for experience in the pre-season or garbage time.  And as the Dolphins are not eliminated from either winning the division nor a wild card, you must play to win.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2020, 01:58:16 pm »

Because you are not playing meaningless games.  In most years Tau would have 4 games to take his lumps, but this year those 4 games were canceled.  You only play a guy for experience in the pre-season or garbage time.  And as the Dolphins are not eliminated from either winning the division nor a wild card, you must play to win.

We actually agree on something!   Wink
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2020, 03:44:50 pm »

Well he definitely wouldn't have started as soon as he did but we don't know for sure that he wouldn't be playing by now. He's clearly outplaying what Tyrod Taylor has done his entire career.
Herbert is 0-4 and you're acting like he's the next Patrick Mahomes; meanwhile, Taylor took the Bills to their first playoff appearance in 20 years and has appeared in a Pro Bowl.  You might want to pump the brakes a bit.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2020, 08:47:20 am »

Herbert is 0-4 and you're acting like he's the next Patrick Mahomes; meanwhile, Taylor took the Bills to their first playoff appearance in 20 years and has appeared in a Pro Bowl.  You might want to pump the brakes a bit.
LOL. You're better then this Spider. Your Tua infatuation is showing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8nJXGso8No

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-bXejuvL2g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd2fKnqo_7Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x8NXbnFJ0A
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 09:14:46 am by Pappy13 » Logged

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2020, 03:23:00 pm »

Herbert is, indeed, playing well.  Not taking anything away there.

But after four losses, you have already declared that Herbert - who could not beat out a healthy Tyrod Taylor for the starting job - has surpassed Taylor's entire career.  Is Herbert well on his way to the Hall of Fame now?

You may want to calm down slightly.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 03:24:47 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2020, 07:03:16 pm »

It's time for Tua right now with 2:14 left in the 4th quarter of a shutout
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2020, 07:33:56 pm »

Herbert is, indeed, playing well.  Not taking anything away there.

But after four losses, you have already declared that Herbert - who could not beat out a healthy Tyrod Taylor for the starting job - has surpassed Taylor's entire career.  Is Herbert well on his way to the Hall of Fame now?

You may want to calm down slightly.
Just to clarify I said that Herbert is playing better now then Taylor has at anytime in his career. I stand by that statement. I believe that Taylor is healthy now, we'll see who starts the next time they play.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 07:37:53 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray