Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:41:54 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Bill O'Brien Fired
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Bill O'Brien Fired  (Read 3030 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2020, 10:25:28 pm »

The most accurate analogy I've seen:

Great coaches like Paul Brown, Chuck Noll, Bill Walsh, and Bill Parcells teach their assistants how to make clocks.
Bill Belichick teaches his assistants how to tell the time.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2020, 10:32:02 pm »

1.  HC requires skills and knowledge not required to be an outstanding coordinator.  And being using the limited time to teach those skills won’t help win games for BB he doesn’t waste his time on it.  Other head coaches might be more willing to start a discussion, “here is something you might need to know when you become a head coach “.
Why haven't any of his assistant coaches went on to be successful coordinators elsewhere?
Why do they all look like bums the moment they leave his immediate orbit?

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2020, 02:46:36 am »

Why haven't any of his assistant coaches went on to be successful coordinators elsewhere?

Why does that matter? If anything,  you are just helping to boost the man's coaching legacy.  He wasn't hired to make other coaches. He was hired to win and the fact his assistants sucks just helps prove how effective he is.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2020, 01:50:39 pm »

Bill Belichick has a strong argument for greatest coach of all time.  Not disputing that.

What I am disputing is that other organizations should hire his coaching staff.  They shouldn't, because he's exceptionally terrible at developing assistant coaches.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2020, 04:48:06 pm »

Bill Belichick has a strong argument for greatest coach of all time.  Not disputing that.

What I am disputing is that other organizations should hire his coaching staff.  They shouldn't, because he's exceptionally terrible at developing assistant coaches.

Teams shouldn't trade with BB either, because most of the time two years later they look like fools.  But they do. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2020, 10:15:29 am »

The idea that no one else in the organization contributes is silly.  But BB isn’t looking to hire assistant to groom them for elsewhere.  He is looking for folks that fit the patriots system. Doesn’t mean they will fit elsewhere.  Putting a Lamborghini transmission in a ford focus won’t improve the car, in fact it might not run at all.  Putting a coordinator that has only operated in a highly efficient system in a dysfunctional one  and he will be less able to cope with the dysfunction than someone use to an inefficient system.   I had a coworker with 20 years experience in the army who absolutely could not cope with the lack of documentation and formal procedures.  There was nothing wrong with him as a person, employee or tech and in fact he did a ton to improve the department in the six months before he quit.  But he just couldn’t cope with our level of disorder. 

But I think the real key is BB has earned him a level of respect that allows him to act in a way that when he does it every one accepts it and when other copy it they are viewed as arrogant and foster a mutiny.

BTW i am not advocating hiring NEP coordinators.  It is tiresome seeing so many good ones leave.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2020, 02:28:17 pm »

I'm sure there are many reasons why Belichick's coaching tree has been uniquely terrible compared to those of other great coaches.  As you already pointed out, developing his staff so they can go on to have future success is not part of his job description.  That would require something like empathy or a sense of paying forward the treatment you were given by those who taught you, neither of which help him "fill Kraft’s trophy case with Lombardies."  Every minute that Belichick spends teaching his assistants how to have success in the future is a minute that he is NOT spending teaching them what they need to do for the Patriots to win next Sunday, which is Belichick's bottom line.

Not everyone is lucky enough to have someone like Bill Parcells as a mentor, right?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 03:14:08 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2020, 03:07:11 pm »

it will be perfectly fine by me if a division rival becomes the next casualty on the list.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2020, 03:14:12 pm »

But I think the real key is BB has earned him a level of respect that allows him to act in a way that when he does it every one accepts it and when other copy it they are viewed as arrogant and foster a mutiny.
No, the real key is that Belichick knows what he is doing when it comes to football.  Many of his assistants, having not been taught anything of value, leave the organization and proceed to copy the only part of Belichick's approach they can: be a dick.

The problem for his assistants has not been their arrogance; it has been their incompetence.  If they had anything remotely approaching Belichick's success, their arrogance would be as warmly embraced by the ownership and players as his has been.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2020, 03:37:39 pm »

No, the real key is that Belichick knows what he is doing when it comes to football.  Many of his assistants, having not been taught anything of value, leave the organization and proceed to copy the only part of Belichick's approach they can: be a dick.

The problem for his assistants has not been their arrogance; it has been their incompetence.  If they had anything remotely approaching Belichick's success, their arrogance would be as warmly embraced by the ownership and players as his has been.

100%
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray