Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:23:19 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Jets Release Bell
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Jets Release Bell  (Read 2508 times)
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2020, 06:44:17 pm »

Bell was outstanding several years ago.  The fact that what is arguably the worst team in the NFL (Jets) didn't want him and no other team in the NFL would give them even a conditional 7th rounder for him and they decided they would rather have nothing than have him on their team pretty much says it all.   Whether it is for personal reasons or performance reasons, if the worst team in the NFL is willing to get rid of you for absolutely nothing in return, you probably don't have much to offer.   
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2020, 06:47:34 pm »

The worst team in the NFL (by a sizable margin, at the time) got rid of Minkah last year.  Should we judge Bell based on what other teams were willing to pay?

Keep in mind that Minkah and Bell have very different contracts, and any team that traded for Bell (as opposed to waiting for him to be released) would inherit the 2nd largest RB contract in history. Quality of play is not the only factor here.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 07:02:37 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2020, 07:45:13 pm »

He signed with the Chiefs
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2020, 07:45:36 pm »

Now that he’s signed with the chiefs are we looking at a repeat Super Bowl champion? They just got a lot better than they already are.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2020, 09:00:26 pm »

The worst team in the NFL (by a sizable margin, at the time) got rid of Minkah last year.  Should we judge Bell based on what other teams were willing to pay?

Keep in mind that Minkah and Bell have very different contracts, and any team that traded for Bell (as opposed to waiting for him to be released) would inherit the 2nd largest RB contract in history. Quality of play is not the only factor here.

You are absolutely right about how a team who traded for Bell would have inherited his huge contract. I had a brain fart and his contract had completely slipped my mind when I was making my post.   Interesting point that you raise about Minkah.  To be honest, I (and probably nobody outside of Dolphins mgmt) never really understood what the hell was going on with that trade.  There was clearly a lot going on behind the scenes between Minkah and the Dolphins and it could have been pretty much anything.  I definitely agree with you that quality of play is not the only factor here. There is probably more involved than just quality of play in most trades, actually.   

KC was an interesting and somewhat surprising (at least to me) landing spot for Bell.   Given that Hellaire isn't very big I suppose I could see KC using Bell as an inside the 5 yard line "punch it into the end zone" kind of back.  Personally, I don't think Bell has much left in the tank but I will be the first to admit it if he goes in there and lights it up in KC.   
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2020, 08:53:45 am »

They just got a lot better than they already are.

Wow...I thought they just signed Le'veon Bell.

KC was an interesting and somewhat surprising (at least to me) landing spot for Bell.   Given that Hellaire isn't very big I suppose I could see KC using Bell as an inside the 5 yard line "punch it into the end zone" kind of back.

That is definitely Le'veon's purpose in KC.  Clyde Edwards-Helaire is not just really bad in short yardage situations, he's arguably one of the worst short yardage backs in the entire league so far this season. CEH has had 7 goal-to-go carries this year, and he has turned those 7 carries into 1 total yard, zero TDs. The kid needs open space to operate.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2020, 12:56:04 pm »

for the record the patriots would take him no question

Doesn’t mean he makes sense for the Dolphins.  On the same vein as my comments in the Belichick doesn’t have a coaching tree thread.  Just because BB can say to a player, “I don’t give a shit what crap you got away with elsewhere, in NE you follow the rules “ And players fall in line doesn’t mean it would work when Flores says it.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray