Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:46:02 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Anyone getting anything for Prime Day?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Anyone getting anything for Prime Day?  (Read 1470 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: October 14, 2020, 11:58:08 am »

I'm gonna pick up one of Echo Smartspeaker things.  My sister has an "OK Google" type one and it's pretty useful.

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 12:16:07 pm »

About an hour before you posted this, I bought a ring doorbell/echo show combo, it's on sale
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 12:34:44 pm »

About an hour before you posted this, I bought a ring doorbell/echo show combo, it's on sale

I looked at that, but didn't get the ring.  My wife was interested, but I was kinda unsure how to make that work or if it would add value for me.  That might've been a missed opportunity.

Do you do the "smart home" thing?

I think that having some things like A/C...or maybe lights to be automatic would be helpful.

I drink your milkshake!
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 12:56:19 pm »

We have a Ring doorbell camera.  The video goes straight to our cell phones.   A couple weeks after we got ours, I thought I would be funny and walked up to our front door and did a "sexy dance".   About 10 minutes later my phone rang and it was from my wife's cell phone.  I answered it and heard her and about 6 of her female coworkers yell, "Nice dancing!"   My wife is a jerk sometimes.  LOL  She apparently shared it with her coworkers. 
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 01:24:53 pm »

I looked at that, but didn't get the ring.  My wife was interested, but I was kinda unsure how to make that work or if it would add value for me.  That might've been a missed opportunity.

Do you do the "smart home" thing?

I think that having some things like A/C...or maybe lights to be automatic would be helpful.
Not really, but I might be soon.  I agree, automatic lights and A/C would be helpful. 

We have a Ring doorbell camera.  The video goes straight to our cell phones.   A couple weeks after we got ours, I thought I would be funny and walked up to our front door and did a "sexy dance".   About 10 minutes later my phone rang and it was from my wife's cell phone.  I answered it and heard her and about 6 of her female coworkers yell, "Nice dancing!"   My wife is a jerk sometimes.  LOL  She apparently shared it with her coworkers. 
Note to self, don't do sexy dance in front of doorbell.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 02:02:53 pm »

Note to self, don't do sexy dance in front of doorbell.

I should point out that I was the only one who referred to my dance as "sexy".   The most commonly used adjective by her coworkers was "funny".   
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 12:32:26 pm »

So, I got this Alexa Echo thing.  It's like a screen/speakers that you can talk to.  We put it in the kitchen.

I really like it.  I'm surprised at how much I use it.  I just tell it to play songs throughout the day or set timers or ask what the score of a game is or get the forecast or whatever.  It's pretty handy.

I never know with devices like this whether or not I'm going to really adopt them into my life, but this one is good so far.

I drink your milkshake!
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2020, 02:04:51 pm »

So, I got this Alexa Echo thing.  It's like a screen/speakers that you can talk to.  We put it in the kitchen.

I really like it.  I'm surprised at how much I use it.  I just tell it to play songs throughout the day or set timers or ask what the score of a game is or get the forecast or whatever.  It's pretty handy.

I never know with devices like this whether or not I'm going to really adopt them into my life, but this one is good so far.

The screen / speakers in your pocket does the same thing, right? (Although admittedly with worse sound quality at "room" volumes.)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2020, 04:09:20 pm »

The screen / speakers in your pocket does the same thing, right? (Although admittedly with worse sound quality at "room" volumes.)

Yes of course.

It's a matter of convenience and that it's centrally located and that, frankly, it's not in my pocket.  When I'm cooking and I can just talk out loud, that's helpful.

I mean...all of these devices -- phone, desktop PC, laptop, tablet, TV, Echo, watch, gaming console -- they're pretty much capable of the same basic functions...it's just how you use them.

I drink your milkshake!
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2020, 11:13:55 pm »

What if you have a kid named Alexa?
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2020, 11:18:33 pm »

My wife kept watching Shitts' Creek and there's a character named Alexis and anytime they'd say her name Alexa would think she was being spoken to.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2020, 09:25:57 am »

You can change the name to wake up your Amazon Echo:

" Amazon speakers are set to listen for the name "Alexa" as its default "wake word," though you can switch its "wake word" to "Amazon," "Echo," or "Computer.""
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2020, 09:59:23 am »

Pretty sure I am definitely in the minority with this...but I have never purchased anything from Amazon.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2020, 08:43:47 pm »

Pretty sure I am definitely in the minority with this...but I have never purchased anything from Amazon.

I was a late joiner to Amazon, about three years ago, but now it is my go to anytime I want to buy anything.  First, it is great for streaming after I decided to cut the Satellite TV cord a couple years ago.  And since I hate going out to stores shopping, having to go to two or three stores to find what you want, in the size you want, it's a godsend.  I do try to still shop at the local owned mom-n-pop type businesses that are still left, but I haven't set foot in a Wal-Mart or Target in a couple years.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray