Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:25:38 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  The Miami Defense
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: The Miami Defense  (Read 4796 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2020, 09:11:38 am »

We have allowed 1 point more than the Steelers through 12 games. 2 points fewer than the Ravens in 3rd but they play tonight so that will likely go up.

Now we face the Chiefs and that is certainly a test to see how good our defense is.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2020, 12:14:12 pm »

We have allowed 1 point more than the Steelers through 12 games. 2 points fewer than the Ravens in 3rd but they play tonight so that will likely go up.

Now we face the Chiefs and that is certainly a test to see how good our defense is.
Defense still wins championships not QB's. Has always been that way, will always be that way. Now it certainly doesn't hurt to have a franchise QB as well, but that alone won't get it done.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 12:15:50 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2020, 03:00:57 pm »

I have Miami's D in my fantasy league.  People are jumping off that boat this week, rats off a sinking ship.  I'm going to let it ride and see if my guys can bring it home for me.  Fins up!

2nd best scoring offense in the league vs. the 2nd stingiest defense. This is going to be interesting. In all honesty, this is going to come down to Tua. If he plays like he did in the 2nd half last week, we have a chance. If he plays like he did in the 1st half, the Chiefs will be on the field a lot and no defense in the world can stop them if they aren't rested and always give up favorable field position.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2020, 03:01:48 pm »

I have Miami's D in my fantasy league.  People are jumping off that boat this week, rats off a sinking ship.  I'm going to let it ride and see if my guys can bring it home for me.  Fins up!

Can't play fantasy football with your heart... I hope they do fine, but I wouldn't put my fantasy playoffs life on it.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2020, 10:09:40 pm »

Through 15 games, we have allowed the fewest points in the NFL. Even if we give up 60 next week, that is a dramatic one year turnaround.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2020, 11:38:20 am »

Turns out we didn't need a franchise QB, just a defense. Been saying that for like the last 10 years. I'm pretty sure no one will listen to me even now.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2020, 11:56:52 am »

Turns out we didn't need a franchise QB, just a defense. Been saying that for like the last 10 years. I'm pretty sure no one will listen to me even now.
Why not both?
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2020, 11:59:36 am »

Why not both?
No reason in fact that would be great, but a franchise QB alone won't get it done. The Dolphins best chance is to put a complete team on the field. That's how you win championships. Do that and you can give the QB all the credit if you want, I'll know the truth. The Dolphins could have won with Tannehill as the QB IF the rest of the team would have been up to the challenge. It wasn't.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 12:03:44 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2020, 12:14:08 pm »

The defense has been key but you can't win it all without a good QB. Doesn't have to be a Top 3 guy, but he can't be a negative on the team. While he has had his moments of sucking, Tua has basically played mistake free and that's what has allowed us to win when combined with our defense.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2020, 12:48:41 pm »

The defense has been key but you can't win it all without a good QB. Doesn't have to be a Top 3 guy, but he can't be a negative on the team. While he has had his moments of sucking, Tua has basically played mistake free and that's what has allowed us to win when combined with our defense.
Agreed but Tannehill was not a negative QB he just never had an ensemble cast around him the way he now has in Tennessee. That was the missing component. I'm hopeful this team is getting to the point of supporting it's QB rather then relying on it's QB to win games for them. I think the team is close. The injuries are a problem, but that's true for every team around this time. A couple more pieces here or there will help counterbalance that issue and we'll be ready to compete for the playoffs year after year. Once you make the playoffs then anything can happen.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2020, 02:35:07 pm »

The defense has played well above my expectations; Howard has really been fantastic (he's going to be expensive next contract). I think it's just another example of a much better level of coaching.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2020, 09:47:49 pm »

Love the way this defense has led the NFL in creating turnovers much of the year too.

As good as it is now, I get the feeling we are one or two players off being a truly elite unit. Maybe another top quality linebacker (or if Van Noy is healthy and plays his best the full season), and upgrade at Safety over McCain. Another pass rusher could make it even more devastating!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2020, 07:20:31 am »

The defense has played well above my expectations; Howard has really been fantastic (he's going to be expensive next contract). I think it's just another example of a much better level of coaching.

Good thing we don't have to worry about it for quite some time.

"On May 9, 2019, Howard signed a five-year, $76.5 million contract extension with the Dolphins with $46 million guaranteed, making him the highest-paid cornerback in the league."
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2020, 07:22:33 am »

Just  because nobody else has rolled out the old saying yet......"Defense wins championships."    Wink
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2020, 09:23:47 am »

Just  because nobody else has rolled out the old saying yet......"Defense wins championships."    Wink

I think it every time I watch the Titans play. I want to root for them a bit, given the Dolphins connection, but man, those are some painful games to watch.

I've come to realize that purely in terms of watching games I'd much rather have at least a competent defense than have whatever the offense can produce be blown by the defense, putting even more pressure on the offense.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray