Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:32:04 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Let's talk pass interference
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Let's talk pass interference  (Read 800 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: November 09, 2020, 08:32:04 pm »

I want to discuss the pass interference on the Dolphins in the first quarter on Howard.

People on the board seem to disagree with it.

Here is MY interpretation:

However, the rules say that actions that constitute pass interference include

- cutting off a receiver by making contact with him without playing the ball.
- contact by a receiver who is not playing the ball, and such contact restricts the receivers ability to make the catch.

Howard initiates contact with the receiver. 

This is a standard pass interference call

Here's another example of a similar play that was flagged

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHu85LR7jgM

Another example would be in the Mile High Miracle game. Tony Carter covered a receiver similarly

It is also interesting that most people on the board agreed with the flag against Moore in the Super Bowl, but disagreed with the call on Howard.

My interpretation on Moore's play was that because he didn't initiate contact, there should not have been a flag.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 03:03:51 am »

However, the rules say that actions that constitute pass interference include

- cutting off a receiver by making contact with him without playing the ball.
- contact by a receiver who is not playing the ball, and such contact restricts the receivers ability to make the catch.

Howard initiates contact with the receiver.  

This is a standard pass interference call

Howard is playing the ball. Contact is only PI if the player ISN'T playing the ball.

Here's another example of a similar play that was flagged

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHu85LR7jgM

If you really think those two plays are similar, you are even more clueless than I thought. Bouye never gets his head around, never plays the ball. It may still be a borderline call, but the argument for it is completely different than the Howard play.

My only explanation is that you actually didn't watch the game and are therefore referring to a different PI call than the one everyone else is.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 04:35:38 am »

I want to discuss the pass interference on the Dolphins in the first quarter on Howard.

Howard is playing the ball. Contact is only PI if the player ISN'T playing the ball.

Yes, this is the first bad PI call I referred to in the live blog which happened early into the third quarter (not sure what D4L meant when they said in the first quarter?). Howard is clearly looking back and playing the ball at the same time both players initiated contact, and at that stage it's basically receiver against receiver. It's nothing really like the examples given and should have been no flag on either player.

The following call I blew up on was the PI called on Howard on what was an uncatchable ball - during the broadcast commentator (and former WR) James Lofton expressed his opinion that it was probably PI because contact was early on when the ball was in the air, but this is completely wrong. If the ball is uncatchable it does not matter when contact occurred, there should be no PI call. End of story.

As for the physical contact aspect of Howard's play, Gilmore of the Pats does more than this beyond the five yards from the line of scrimmage week-in, week-out and rarely gets flagged - if Gilmore illegally held and touched up receivers any more than he already does without consequences, he should probably change his name to Kevin Spacey.

Anyway, go and rewatch the incidents and have a read of this if you are not convinced:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-pass-interference-rule-2019-explained-new-challenge-replay/153i5zqtso35g1h46l4h6jlw9g

"Also, because these will be debated during pass interference replay reviews in 2019, too, here are the "permissible acts by both teams while the ball is in the air," aka not PI:

Incidental contact by an opponent’s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball, or neither player is looking for the ball. If there is any question whether contact is incidental, the ruling shall be no interference."

As clearly stated "Contact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the pass is clearly uncatchable by the involved players, except pertaining to blocking downfield by the offense."

"Contact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the pass is clearly uncatchable by the involved players, except pertaining to blocking downfield by the offense."
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 11:09:15 am »

I did not see the one in the third quarter.  I was referring to the one in the first quarter with 10:33 left.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 11:13:15 am »

As I understand it, once the ball is in the air, there is no receiver and no defender.  Both players are the receiver and can go after the ball equally.  So long as the defender is playing the role of the receiver (looking at the ball, making a play for the ball rather than the man), there is no penalty.

I drink your milkshake!
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 10:19:26 pm »

The other two were just posted on youtube

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 10:23:54 pm »

The second one was in the third quarter when the score was 24-17.

From what I understand that is a standard pass interference.  He cut the receiver off without playing the ball.

Here's a video example from the NFL

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liyACW39t-c]

Here's a video example from the NFL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liyACW39t-c

This call is very similar to the one at 38 seconds of the video.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 10:26:54 pm by dolphins4life » Logged

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 10:24:19 pm »

The last one was garbage.  They were both trying for the ball.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray