Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:21:33 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  How to address the running game?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How to address the running game?  (Read 683 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: November 11, 2020, 12:19:15 pm »

Just an open ended question, really.

It doesn't seem to me like we can run the ball with any regularity.  It's almost as if we're only doing it to keep the defense honest.

It is the RB?  The line (but they're pass-blocking ok???)?  Can Tua scrambling help with this?

I drink your milkshake!
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 12:37:02 pm »

I think that run blocking is very different from pass blocking so I can see where they would block well in pass protection but not so much in run blocking.  That is how Keith Sims and Richmond Webb were during the Marino era as well.  As young as the OL is, I have hopes that they can grow into being better run blockers.  But for the time being, I think that with Tua at QB, Miami might go to more of a spread offense which accents the quality pass blocking and takes some of the pressure off the OL as run blockers.  The Fins also clearly don't have any "elite" running backs so that doesn't help either. 
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 12:53:45 pm »

Our issue is two fold. Firstly, our RBs are terrible. Jordan Howard was probably the worst FA signing by any team during the offseason and everyone else is random junk. The only one who showed anything was the kid from Sunday's game whose name I forget.

Secondly, our O-Line seems to be doing pretty well with pass protection but not at opening up holes for our backs. Even a crappy back can get 100 yards a game if they have the 1994 Dallas O-Line. We do not have that O-Line. So, they need to improve in that regard as well, probably on the inside more than anything.

Sadly, this won't be addressed until the offseason.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 12:58:34 pm »

Address the running game by using the pass to open up the run, or use short dump off passes and screens as an extended run game.  Unfortunately, we have some JAGs at RB and our oline can't run block very well atm.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 08:02:31 am »

Playcalling / scheme is part of the problem as well.

No team in the league runs straight up through the middle as often as we do (73%) and only one team is worse at runs in that direction (BUF, who only run up through the middle less than half the time, the sixth lowest percentage in the league).

Maybe if we didn't KEEP DOING things we suck at, it would look a little better? And, maybe, just maybe, if we didn't KEEP DOING the same thing over and over, defenses would have a slightly harder time stopping us?

We've actually managed to get the most yards on average of any team in runs around left end, but of course we've only done that 9 times all season, so the sample size is agonizingly small.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 08:27:41 am »

I think Dave is right about doing it just to keep the defense honest, that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray