Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:12:08 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Flores casts vote for old uniforms
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Flores casts vote for old uniforms  (Read 655 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: November 12, 2020, 01:38:35 pm »

This guy couldn't get any better!!

“If you want me to vote, I’ll vote for the old uniforms — you want me to cast a vote. If I had to choose the old or the new, I’d go with the old.” Flores said.

Several players have said it previously and now the coach. In fact if you ask around camp he's been known to wear the old logo stuff much of the time. I realize it doesn't change anything but hopefully every year we are closer to going back to a look we ca be proud of.  

One would think Flores, who was the Patriots' defensive playcaller in 2018 during the Dolphins' Miami Miracle win while wearing the aqua throwbacks, wouldn’t be a fan.

But he doubled down on his jersey affection after his Zoom press conference ended on Thursday.

“I like the old uniforms,” Flores said.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 01:40:59 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 02:34:43 pm »

Armando penned this after today's press conference regarding the uniforms.

A plea to make Dolphins throwback uniforms permanent. And why they’re not
BY ARMANDO SALGUERO COLUMNIST
NOVEMBER 12, 2020 10:20 AM, UPDATED 38 MINUTES AGO

The Miami Dolphins will dig into their vault of awesomeness this weekend and bring out their throwback uniforms for the game at Hard Rock Stadium against the Los Angeles Chargers.

Against one of the teams known for having great uniforms — the Chargers — the Dolphins are wearing their best uniform: Their classic 1966-era look with the gray face mask, old smaller Dolphin logo in the sunburst and black cleats.

So the uniform the team wore when it won back-to-back Super Bowls during the 1972 and ‘73 seasons will make its first of three appearances this year.

Some people think that’s a big deal. They love the throwback style. They believe they make the Dolphins look tougher, better.

And, they argue, if the players look good and feel good, maybe they play good.

I’d say a vast majority of fans feel that way. All due respect to all the uniform and logo iterations that followed, including the most recent in 2013, but the 1966 uniforms re-imagined by the team in 2015 are the absolute best.

Some people don’t think that’s a big deal. They either think the new uniforms are better or they’re ambivalent about what the team is wearing as long as it is winning.

For a few seconds on Thursday, Dolphins coach Brian Flores was in that camp:

“I’m not a big fashion guy, so it’s not really at the top of my priority list,” he said. “I like the new uniforms, I like the old uniforms. I like the old logo. But I just like coaching football. So sorry Mando, that’s not really at the top of my priority list. It’s not really something I think about.

“And I know there’s people that love the old uniforms. But old uniforms, new uniforms, I like to coach. I don’t care what we’re wearing.”

But here’s the issue: If you really think about it ... if you take a minute, there is no question which uni is best.

The throwbacks!

Without a doubt.

If you allow yourself a pause in your busy 2020 schedule to consider the matter, enlightenment will surely come. The throwbacks rock!

And Flores got there after a few seconds.

“If you want me to vote, I’ll vote for the old uniforms, if you want me to be casting votes,” he said. “If I had to choose the old or the new, I’d probably go with the old.”

Correct answer!

And just as the team’s head coach takes maybe 30 seconds to get to the right place, why hasn’t the rest of the organization done the same? What’s up with that?

Well, my understanding is a lot of people within the Dolphins organization have already gotten to that same right place on the throwback uniforms. They like it more. They think it’s better.

The issue is owner Stephen Ross hasn’t given a final approval to go all in on the throwbacks. He might eventually get there, perhaps even by 2021. But not yet.

It has taken him some time and consideration to fully commit. Because, in part, that would mean decommitting from the current uniforms, which he approved after much consideration.

So here’s where I am on this highly important topic:

I am asking Ross to please, please, please allow the change to be made to the throwbacks as the full-time uniform.

Wear your ultra-modern uniform and logo as the alternate if you like. Those are fine in small doses — except the all orange look that makes the players look like human popsicles. Don’t ever wear that atrocity again.

Embrace your new look as the alternate look.

But give this organization that is striving to regain the stature and respect of those 1970s teams the right look to go with that attempt.

Make those throwback uniforms your forever uniforms.

Think about it. Flores did. And he came to the right answer despite starting out kind of indifferent on the topic. How do I know this?

Because after answering all the reporters’ questions on his Zoom press conference Thursday, he said this unprompted before logging off:

“I like the old uniforms.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article247142676.html

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 07:05:27 pm »

I'd like to see them go back to the uniforms from the Jimmy Johnson era.  The ones with a meaner looking Dolphin in the sunburst and a shadow on the numbers. 
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 10:12:34 pm »

Moving to the throwbacks full-time is taking money off the table.  Anyone who wants a throwback can buy one.

Most teams would love to be in a situation where both their new and their old gear sells well.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 01:44:18 pm »

Most teams haven't gone through a significant change of logos/uniforms in decades. I don't think it's uncommon for the throwbacks to sell well. I see Patriots and Bucs gear a lot.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 03:46:17 pm »

PFT/Mike Florio even elaborated on the subject
Dolphins’ throwbacks could eventually become their permanent uniforms
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/11/13/dolphins-throwbacks-could-eventually-become-their-permanent-uniforms/

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray