Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:00:16 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Robinson Cano Suspended for 2021 Season for Steroid Use
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Robinson Cano Suspended for 2021 Season for Steroid Use  (Read 4209 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« on: November 18, 2020, 06:10:31 pm »

He will lose $24 Million.

What an asshole. It's a full season because he got suspended 81 games in 2018 for steroid use. Why do these ballplayers keep getting caught using the same steroids a gym bro would take? At least Bonds basically started his own pharmaceutical company to help him cheat.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 08:55:01 pm »

but would he be making that much money if he hadn't been doing roids?

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 09:14:09 pm »

but would he be making that much money if he hadn't been doing roids?

Yes, baseball contracts are guaranteed so if he hit .183 next year, he still would've gotten $24 Million.

I don't think he was taking steroids his whole career, I think he is just taking stuff now that makes you quicker instead of jacked because he is getting older. One thing is for certain, this suspension destroyed any Cooperstown hopes he had. He probably would've gotten in too with his stats and projected 3,000 hits.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 09:42:13 pm »

There is an argument to be made that without roids, he wouldn't have gotten that contract.

If players immediately got caught every single time they juiced, they wouldn't juice.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 10:15:51 pm »

There is an argument to be made that without roids, he wouldn't have gotten that contract.

If players immediately got caught every single time they juiced, they wouldn't juice.

There is certainly a point to that argument, but if he was using generic steroids the entire time, he should've been caught a lot more than twice. I would expect people with lots of money to spend it on new types of steroids so they don't get caught. Pay off a Doctor to prescribe you large doses of testosterone for "medical reasons". Anything but using the same shit that your average guido from Brooklyn uses.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 10:39:54 pm »

There is certainly a point to that argument, but if he was using generic steroids the entire time, he should've been caught a lot more than twice. I would expect people with lots of money to spend it on new types of steroids so they don't get caught. Pay off a Doctor to prescribe you large doses of testosterone for "medical reasons". Anything but using the same shit that your average guido from Brooklyn uses.

Why would they not get caught if they used the newer types of steroids?
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 03:38:08 am »

Why would they not get caught if they used the newer types of steroids?

To test for steroids, you have to know what to look for in the sample. Typically, you would look for specific metabolites - that is, chemical compounds that result from the steroid being used and broken down by the body. Those metabolites differ depending on the steroid taken, so different tests are needed for different (families of) steroids. "Designer steroids" can be developed which result in new metabolites that are not caught by existing tests.

The best alternative today is a player-specific baseline for a whole host physiological parameters. Any substantial deviation from those parameters is then considered doping, even if the doping "agent" isn't known. The UCI (cycling) has a "passport" for each rider which contains a steroid profile in urine samples, a whole range of blood parameters and a history of all blood and urine samples taken. Combined with *real* randomized testing all year long (blood as well as urine), a strict "whereabouts protocol", and the long-term storage test samples to allow retesting later, and you can get a fairly reliable system.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 03:41:06 am by fyo » Logged
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 02:35:58 pm »

There are players who get caught taking steroids -- and players with better masking agents.

Exactly. McGwire and Sosa kinda took it to comical extremes, but there are lots of steroids that just make you a bit faster and simple just raise your testosterone so you can get through a long season. It's still cheating but not everyone does them to hit 50 HR or throw 100 MPH.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 03:49:14 pm »

Bodybuilding has become absolutely ridiculous with roids, etc.  The IFBB has mostly made half azz attempts to catch people and it is so rampant that there are now "natural" competitions where even the supposedly super clean bodybuilders are running gear.  I did it too when I was younger but I'm at the age now where I'm not willing to risk my health when I'm just an amateur competitor.  Training and nutrition has had something to do with it, but when you look at top bodybuilders today and compare them with guys in the 1980s they are carrying like 40% more muscle mass on them today.  There is biologically no way to be the size of these guys without "better living through chemicals".   Of course with baseball, track, and a lot of other sports, they are using designer roids to increase endurance and "dry" muscles like with Winstrol, etc.   And as a couple of you have said, for every new drug test that comes out, the illegal steroid industry is almost always a step ahead with new and better masking agents.  The scary thing is that with the internet, high school athletes are getting steroids from China which has no governing body on what is put into them.  Who knows what the hell these kids are injecting into themselves. 
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 04:48:50 pm »

Bodybuilding has become a joke due to HGH and Insulin abuse, creating those huge guts. They have always used steroids, dating back to Arnold's days but now it's insane.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 11:44:48 am »

Bodybuilding has become a joke due to HGH and Insulin abuse, creating those huge guts. They have always used steroids, dating back to Arnold's days but now it's insane.

I don't know if I would go so far as to call it a joke, but I don't disagree with you about the rampant HGH and Insulin abuse.  It has gotten so bad that now everyone says, "You have to cheat to compete".    Roids definitely increase your body's capacity for work, but you still have to put the reps in at the gym.  It isn't like the roids alone make you a bodybuilder.  Except for those lunatics in Russia (and elsewhere) who are injecting synthol into their muscles.  They go from pencil neck to freak show over night.  Of course they are going to die within 10 years from essentially filling their bodies with plastic and they still can't lift anymore than the average person off the street.  But its their lives I guess.  If you want a good laugh,  just google "synthol freaks". 
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2020, 01:40:57 pm »

I love seeing those oil monsters who can't even open a jar of pickles but have 28 inch arms.

You absolutely have to put the work in not just at the gym but in the kitchen, I just think the extended guts are absolutely ridiculous. It's a physique competition, you shouldn't walk on stage if you look pregnant.

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2020, 07:33:21 am »

LOL.  That is Phil Heath and Kai Greene.  You are spot on that "bubble gut" is caused by HGH and insulin abuse.  Neither Heath nor Greene typically look like that.  The bodybuilder physique will go through huge changes at different points in the training cycle leading up to a competition.   Phil Heath and Kai Greene have both won a ton of titles but I promise you that neither of them won those titles looking like they do in the picture you posted.  HGH and insulin abuse leads to increased abdominal muscle mass.  That creates the "six pack" muscles of Rectus Abdominis, but also increases the muscles underneath it like the Transverse Abdominis and the Internal Obliques.  The result is that the entire mid section grows and protrudes which creates the stomach distension that you see.  As bodybuilders get closer to a competition, they cut back on the hgh and insulin and of course modify their eating habits so that the Palumboism isn't there during competition.  When I was a lot more competitive than I am now, I would not eat for the last 36 hours before a competition and would be taking the steroid Winstrol in the weeks leading up to a competition which "dries the body out" and creates the defined and cut look that you see on stage. 

I liked your comment about the synthol freaks not being able to open a jar of pickles with 28 inch arms.  Funny and true.  Most of them have never spent a day in a gym and they are an insult to anyone who has ever put in the sweat equity of hard work in a gym.

Sorry, I accidentally derailed this thread pretty far off of Robinson Cano.  

« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 09:07:38 am by Dolphster » Logged
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2020, 10:33:32 am »

I love seeing those oil monsters who can't even open a jar of pickles but have 28 inch arms.

I have to admit to being so ignorant of steroids/HGH that I have no idea at all why they would have any difficulty opening a jar of pickles...

Does HGH shrink your hands or something?

Huh

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2020, 11:06:46 am »

I have to admit to being so ignorant of steroids/HGH that I have no idea at all why they would have any difficulty opening a jar of pickles...

Does HGH shrink your hands or something?

Huh

That isn't ignorance on your part at all.  The vast majority of people aren't up to speed on it.  Synthol is not a steroid or an HGH.  It is a mixture of 85% oil, 7.5% lidocaine and 7.5% alcohol that some people inject into their body at specific sites that they want to get big.  In layman's terms, they are essentially injecting petroleum jelly into a specific muscle (or muscles) which inflates the muscle kind of like blowing up a balloon but instead of air think of filling up a balloon with petroleum jelly.  You can kind of compare it to these women who want the "big booty" look and inject fat into their arse to make it bigger.  There is no increase in strength associated with injecting synthol, you are pretty much just filling it up with petroleum jelly to expand it.  The health hazards are numerous.  Besides the obvious blocking of blood flow, it also messes with the pulmonary system, can cause a cerebral stroke, heart problems and infection.  Some dolt in Russia recently had 3 pounds of it surgically removed from his biceps and triceps because the blood flow was so limited from it that he was about to have to have his arms amputated.  The comment about not being able to open a jar was in reference to the fact that a 140 pounds skinny guy can literally have 25 inch arms within an hour.  He isn't any stronger, but he has mutant looking arms. 
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray