Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:32:22 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  R.I.P. Hank Aaron
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: R.I.P. Hank Aaron  (Read 2043 times)
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« on: January 22, 2021, 11:28:40 am »

We'll miss ya Hammerin' Hank.  Hit a moonshot for me at that big ballpark in the sky.
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 11:37:13 am »

The real home run king

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 11:51:01 am »

The real home run king

Absolutely.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 12:02:06 pm »

The real home run king

Indeed!   I was fascinated as a young boy watching him chase Babe Ruth's record.  My family was traveling the day he broke the record and we checked into a motel and turned on the tv just in time to see him hit #715 off of Al Downing.   I remember it very clearly still.  I read several books about him.  He wasn't very trusting of white people and with good reason.  It was horrible how he endured death threats, etc. as he was approaching the record.  The open and blatant hatred and racism he endured simply because he "dared" to be closing in on breaking a white man's record.  I remember my dad using that story as a way to teach me about the evils of racism when I was little.  RIP Mr. Aaron. 
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 12:42:19 pm »

^^^ Very similar situation here... I was 11 years old, and my family was moving into a new house closer to town. We had brought a load of boxes and other stuff, got  it unloaded, then my dad said "Stay here and guard the boxes...we'll go to McDonalds for some food." I asked "Can I plug in the TV?"...and Dad came over, plugged it in and adjusted the rabbit ears to get a decent picture. He walks out the door, I sat down on the floor and surfed through our 4 local channels, and hit the Braves game with the last channel. About 5 minutes later, Hank hit #715.  My dad was soooo pissed that he missed it.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 09:54:05 am »

I remember reading a story about Hammerin' Hank when he was a kid.  He was born to a working class family in Mobile, AL.  His dad was a longshoreman and tavern owner and the family didn't have money but Hank loved baseball so much, he did several odd jobs to transfer to a private school that had a top drawer baseball team.  One night in 1948, as he was listening to a Dodgers game on the radio with his dad, he heard the announcer marvel about how Jackie Robinson had broken the color barrier in baseball.  He then told his dad that he would become an MLB player and he would do it before Robinson retired.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 03:12:06 am »

Simply one of the best baseball players and human being.  I spent an awful lot of paper route money buying packs of cards trying to get his card, never got it.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 02:21:20 pm »

As a Braves fan he was our Dan Marino but I've always thought he was even more than that. Hank Aaron was a very special person and someone who resonated beyond sports. Many non sports fans knew and respected him and he earned this respect and admiration without asking for it. I think Chipper Jones kind of summed it up.

Rest in Peace Home Run King!

Chipper Jones
@RealCJ10
·
Jan 22
I can’t imagine what Hank Aaron went through in his lifetime. He had every right to be angry or militant.....but never was! He spread his grace on everything and every one he came in contact with. Epitome of class and integrity. RIP Henry Aaron! #HammerinHank

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray