Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:15:28 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Anti-Fins Chat (Moderators: jtex316, Phishfan)
| | |-+  Miami fan base can be toxic AF
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Miami fan base can be toxic AF  (Read 2075 times)
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« on: December 23, 2020, 08:44:55 am »

Yesterday on the Miami Dolphins Facebook page a photo of Jay Fiedler in the end zone, yelling, was posted.  It was the anniversary of the game where he led Miami on a comeback victory against Miami, including a scramble play for a TD to take the lead.  I remember the game, it was exciting to watch.

I posted as such - good game, and Jay was a solid, if unspectacular player for us.  Gritty, if nothing else.

Holy crow, you would have though I literally said "Jay Fiedler was better than Dan Marino."  People immediately jumping on me, demanding for me to "back up my claims" he was a solid player, absolutely slaying me.  I'm assuming these are the same people who are slaying Tua on line as well. 

It doesn't happen here, and I am thankful (it's why I stay).  But one thing I have noticed after covering the Patriots for so long, and being exposed to the league and other fan bases.  Miami fans are really a different kind of toxic and jaded.  No, I'm not looking past other fan bases, yes, I know it happens everywhere.  Am I wrong?

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 08:48:15 am »

Yesterday on the Miami Dolphins Facebook page a photo of Jay Fiedler in the end zone, yelling, was posted.  It was the anniversary of the game where he led Miami on a comeback victory against Miami, including a scramble play for a TD to take the lead.  I remember the game, it was exciting to watch.

I posted as such - good game, and Jay was a solid, if unspectacular player for us.  Gritty, if nothing else.

Holy crow, you would have though I literally said "Jay Fiedler was better than Dan Marino."  People immediately jumping on me, demanding for me to "back up my claims" he was a solid player, absolutely slaying me.  I'm assuming these are the same people who are slaying Tua on line as well. 

It doesn't happen here, and I am thankful (it's why I stay).  But one thing I have noticed after covering the Patriots for so long, and being exposed to the league and other fan bases.  Miami fans are really a different kind of toxic and jaded.  No, I'm not looking past other fan bases, yes, I know it happens everywhere.  Am I wrong?
I think it depends where you go.  Here, everyone is jaded as fuck, but I think are starting to come around.  Not toxic though.

The Miami Dolphins subreddit is filled with positivity and humor except a couple of people who are usually downvoted to oblivion.

Facebook is for boomers, so I'm assuming it's a bunch of old jaded Dolphins fans who have nothing but negative shit to say.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 09:26:28 am »

I'll admit, a lot of Dolphins (and Hurricanes) fans I've come across are jaded.   I'll stop short of saying they are toxic, but they are definitely jaded because they are spoiled.  The Dolphins had that perfect season in 72 and the Hurricanes had that amazing run in the 80s and early 90s.  Both fan bases are loaded with fans who think their teams own football and are extremely butthurt when the Dolphins/Hurricanes lose.

I heard all this talk this year about how the U is back, swagger, all that crazy shit.  Then they got pimp slapped by UNC's two running backs who lit them up for almost 600 rushing yards combined.  Now it's all "Fire Manny Diaz!!"  and "Get a new DC!!"

Spoiled rotten bitches, I tell ya.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 09:59:00 am »

Jay Fiedler is a sore subject for a lot of fans because he was the QB when we had the best team we've had since we went to the Superbowl and he did nothing with it. Even worse, when we got Ricky Williams we were contenders to win it all and he was just average while Ray Lucas was a nightmare. It's just about missed opportunities and Wannstedt's love for him that prevented us from getting someone else.

He was a very tough guy though and seemed like an excellent teammate. Nothing against him personally.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 04:01:48 pm »

Jay Fiedler is a sore subject for a lot of fans because he was the QB when we had the best team we've had since we went to the Superbowl and he did nothing with it. Even worse, when we got Ricky Williams we were contenders to win it all and he was just average while Ray Lucas was a nightmare. It's just about missed opportunities and Wannstedt's love for him that prevented us from getting someone else.

He was a very tough guy though and seemed like an excellent teammate. Nothing against him personally.

Fiedler was actually having a good season before he got hurt in 2002.   We were rolling on offense with Ricky running the football, Robert Edwards spelling him, and Jay Fiedler hitting Oronde Gadsden, Chris Chambers, James McKnight and Randy McMichael with timely passes.  Then Fiedler gets hurt, Gadsden gets hurt, Chambers gets hurt, we had no options left at receiver so we had to coax Cris Carter out of retirement.  While Fiedler and Chambers were hurt, Lucas singlehandedly ran the offense into the ground.  Jamie Nails was playing lights out at left guard and he got hurt.  Fiedler and Chambers came back but they were rusty as hell, nowhere near what they were before they got hurt.  Talk about a major train wreck.
David Fulcher

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2020, 04:12:36 am »

Fiedler was actually having a good season before he got hurt in 2002.   We were rolling on offense with Ricky running the football, Robert Edwards spelling him, and Jay Fiedler hitting Oronde Gadsden, Chris Chambers, James McKnight and Randy McMichael with timely passes.  Then Fiedler gets hurt, Gadsden gets hurt, Chambers gets hurt, we had no options left at receiver so we had to coax Cris Carter out of retirement.  While Fiedler and Chambers were hurt, Lucas singlehandedly ran the offense into the ground.  Jamie Nails was playing lights out at left guard and he got hurt.  Fiedler and Chambers came back but they were rusty as hell, nowhere near what they were before they got hurt.  Talk about a major train wreck.

Goodness, what a rollercoaster of a season that was!!  I Still to this day, 18 years later, will stick with that's the best non-playoff qualifying team I've ever seen, at the NFL level.  Granted, I've *only* been a fan since '92, and admittedly biased as far as the actual participant, but when they were rolling at points that season (still remember it like yesterday--it was my freshman year of college--God, the days!   Smiley ), it was masterful.  Still remember them beating the brakes off NE at home, but then the last 2 games, against the Vikes and in particular against the Patsies in Foxboro, week 17....just ripping our hearts out.  It was so evident Miami was the superior team that game as well, but Wannstedt was just basically helpless, and definitely got outclassed by Belli and his staff.  I'm sure there were some devious *tactics* aspects to it as well from NE's standpoint, as it was '02 and they were early into their devious and dark ways, but yeah, Dave didn't have to do too much to screw up a 2 car funeral, if you know what I mean!   Indifferent

I still don't put much of that season's failures on Jay.  Sure, he could have been better, but like Maine and many others, I'll always remember him as quite the gamer (Denver game, anybody).  Not the strongest of arms by any stretch, and you certainly didn't want him tossing the ball across the other side of the field or a pick was likely, but he managed the game very well, and could take off and run when need be, and generally was a good field general.  We saw how bad things could get when Ray was in for that middle portion of the season, besides the lovely "revenge" game against Baltimore from the playoffs that prior Jan., where otherwise we were terrible with Ray running the ship.  Man, oh man....some bittersweet memories there!  But I won't let them make me toxic to our boys like some others amongst our brood, no way!  Ha hah
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 04:33:26 am by David Fulcher » Logged

"I swear to Buddha--if someone challenges my Ping-Pong honor, their fortune cookie will see bad outcome!"

--guy from "My New Haircut", Asian edition
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2020, 08:20:48 pm »

I think it's more a Facebook thing than a Dolphins thing.

Go to any movie advertisement on Facebook and it's just people shit-talking how awful it is.

There's a lot of advertising for Wonder Woman 84.  I didn't care for that movie either, but the toxic bile being spewed on Facebook is insane.  The same with a new Paul McCartney album.  Old, jaded Beatles fans complaining -- it's just a cess-pool.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray