Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:51:57 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Quarterback situation for next year
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Quarterback situation for next year  (Read 6398 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2021, 10:41:03 pm »

You don’t become a better team by getting rid of a better player so a weaker player doesn’t have competition for the starting job.

Either Tau can earn the starting job with Fitz on the roster or he can’t. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2021, 11:35:11 pm »

Name the last first-year (or even second-year) starting QB who repeatedly got benched if he was trailing in the 4th quarter, and used this experience to become a Pro Bowl player or SB champion.

Again, if Flores thinks Fitz gave the team a better chance to win (and winning this year is the primary objective), then Fitz should have been starting until he played himself out of the job.  By putting Tua in early with handcuffs on, Tua never gets a chance to truly learn.  He's conservative for 3 quarters and then gets benched if the team isn't leading... and yet somehow, we're surprised when Tua is asked to mount an aggressive comeback and doesn't know what to do.

Flores is showing the hallmarks of a Belichick disciple: proving that he's the Smartest Person In The Room by "starting Tua" on an arms-length leash, instead of letting him take his lumps like Peyton, Eli, Mayfield, or even Burrow and Herbert.

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2021, 02:46:16 am »

Name the last first-year (or even second-year) starting QB who repeatedly got benched if he was trailing in the 4th quarter, and used this experience to become a Pro Bowl player or SB champion.

Again, if Flores thinks Fitz gave the team a better chance to win (and winning this year is the primary objective), then Fitz should have been starting until he played himself out of the job.  By putting Tua in early with handcuffs on, Tua never gets a chance to truly learn.  He's conservative for 3 quarters and then gets benched if the team isn't leading... and yet somehow, we're surprised when Tua is asked to mount an aggressive comeback and doesn't know what to do.

Flores is showing the hallmarks of a Belichick disciple: proving that he's the Smartest Person In The Room by "starting Tua" on an arms-length leash, instead of letting him take his lumps like Peyton, Eli, Mayfield, or even Burrow and Herbert.
  On a side note, how does this year NOT prove that BB is an incompetent moron?

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2021, 08:21:55 am »

I never thought of it that way but it makes a lot of sense. No wonder Tua didn't make any mistakes until this week, because he wasn't trying to win, just trying not to lose.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2021, 08:37:52 am »

And there were FOUR CHANCES to make the playoffs this year and they failed at all four.  Is the universe out to get our football team?

Yes it is, and if you peek over the edge of the flat Earth, you can see the universe there, scheming...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2021, 10:29:57 am »

...except that Tua's development has clearly been impacted by Fitz's presence.
It only matters if you pick the wrong QB. If you pick the right QB this doesn't matter. Not at all. Chris Simms was right. I was right. You were wrong. Simple as that. Tua's still gonna be a good QB, he just won't ever be Herbert and we could have had him. That sucks.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 10:37:56 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2021, 11:06:31 am »

Well he sure took his lumps on Sunday. Let's see how he responds. If you want him to take his lumps then everyone needs to quit making excuses for him. It was Fitz. It was the receivers. It was Chan. Whatever. It was Tua. Let's hope he can get better.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 11:08:53 am by Pappy13 » Logged

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2021, 11:15:33 am »

It only matters if you pick the wrong QB. If you pick the right QB this doesn't matter. Not at all. Chris Simms was right. I was right. You were wrong. Simple as that. Tua's still gonna be a good QB, he just won't ever be Herbert and we could have had him. That sucks.
You don't know this.  I know you have a hard on for Herbert, but lets see how these guys careers pan out first shall we?
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2021, 11:32:56 am »

It only matters if you pick the wrong QB. If you pick the right QB this doesn't matter. Not at all.
Was Tannehill the "wrong QB," or was he coached incompetently?  How do you feel about his immediate success the moment he left MIA?

Well he sure took his lumps on Sunday. Let's see how he responds. If you want him to take his lumps then everyone needs to quit making excuses for him.
Again, you guys don't really seem to see how bad this is.

How many other rookie QBs were given ZERO LOSSES worth of slack before being benched for "performance"?

Had I known that Flores would coach like this, I wouldn't have cared whether the Dolphins picked Tua or Herbert, because it wouldn't have mattered.

Can you imagine if Zac Taylor had yanked Burrow in the 4th quarter during each of CIN's many losses?  Is the reason why he didn't because the Bengals don't have Ryan Fitzpatrick on their roster?

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2021, 12:03:23 pm »

You don't know this.  I know you have a hard on for Herbert, but lets see how these guys careers pan out first shall we?
Maybe I don't know it, but I'm 99% convinced of it. I've only ever seen 1 other guy have a rookie year that reminded me of what Herbert did this year and his name was Dan Marino. That's how sure I am that Herbert is special. I suspected he might be special coming out of college but even I underestimated what he would do in the NFL. Now that I've seen it, I'm convinced. Now I'm not saying that he's going to be great every single year, not even Marino was terrific every single year, but you already see that he has something special about him that you just don't see very often. He's going to be one of the best year in and year out for a decade. Maybe not the best, but one of the best. I am convinced of that. You may need to wait to be convinced, but I don't.  As far as Tua, yes it's possible that he will be special too, but you saw no indications of that this year. He looked good at times, but never did he wow you.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 12:43:23 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2021, 12:08:30 pm »

Was Tannehill the "wrong QB," or was he coached incompetently?  How do you feel about his immediate success the moment he left MIA?
As I said when Tannehill was with Miami he didn't have the support he needed to succeed. I always liked Tannehill and thought he could have been a winner in Miami if given the support. He never was. Not on the offensive side of the ball and not on the defensive side of the ball. I was not shocked that he did better in Tennesse. They had a better team than Miami, it's no surprise Tannehill was able to produce better results there than in Miami.

Tua was given plenty of support in Miami this year on the defensive side of the ball. I'll grant you that he didn't have a lot of support on the offensive side of the ball but he didn't elevate anyone's play either. Gisecki played better when Fitzpatrick was in the game. I felt the same about Parker. If Tua was really that good, he should have been able to do something with those guys in there. More than what he did anyway.

It's funny Spider you keep blaming Flores whereas all I read is that Flores should be given coach of the year consideration. I don't see them saying that about Herbert's coach.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 12:20:53 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2021, 12:52:59 pm »

Maybe I don't know it, but I'm 99% convinced of it. I've only ever seen 1 other guy have a rookie year that reminded me of what Herbert did this year and his name was Dan Marino. That's how sure I am that Herbert is special. I suspected he might be special coming out of college but even I underestimated what he would do in the NFL. Now that I've seen it, I'm convinced. Now I'm not saying that he's going to be great every single year, not even Marino was terrific every single year, but you already see that he has something special about him that you just don't see very often. He's going to be one of the best year in and year out for a decade. Maybe not the best, but one of the best. I am convinced of that. You may need to wait to be convinced, but I don't.  As far as Tua, yes it's possible that he will be special too, but you saw no indications of that this year. He looked good at times, but never did he wow you.

Baker Mayfield - 3,725 passing yards, surpassed Peyton Manning and Russell Wilson for most touchdowns thrown in a rookie season with 27, 14 INTs
Josh Allen - 2,074 passing yards, 10 TDs, 12 INTs

Baker Mayfield - 3,827 passing yards, 22 TDs, 21 INTs
Josh Allen - 3,089 passing yards, 20 TDs, 9 INTs

Baker Mayfield - 3,367 passing yards, 25 TDs, 8 INTs
Josh Allen - 4,544 passing yards, 37 TDs, 10 INTs

Baker Mayfield had a record breaking rookie season, but who is the better QB now, Baker or Josh Allen?  Herbert had a phenomenal season, and broke records himself, I can't deny that, but like I said, you don't know if Herbert is the better QB yet give it time.

oh, and while we're comparing rookie seasons....

Josh Allen - 2,074 passing yards, 10 TDs, 12 INTs
Tua - 1,814 passing yards, 11 TDs, 5 INTs in two less games than Allen
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2021, 01:12:29 pm »

You don’t become a better team by getting rid of a better player so a weaker player doesn’t have competition for the starting job.

Either Tau can earn the starting job with Fitz on the roster or he can’t. 

Haven't you heard, Rosen never got a chance.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2021, 01:18:05 pm »

I find all of these comparison to Herbert and Lawrence to be moot.

We didn't draft Herbert and we're not going to be able to draft Lawrence, so who gives a shit?

Tua is the pick we made, we owe it to ourselves to let that pan out.  You can't do that if Fitz is waiting to come in at the end of every game we're losing.  Tua hasn't had a fair shot, either.  He needs a preseason, mini-camps, to build a rapport with the team, the ability to make mistakes, to play from behind, etc.  It doesn't mean he's going to be a start; you just gotta let it play out.

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2021, 01:53:36 pm »

Baker Mayfield - 3,725 passing yards, surpassed Peyton Manning and Russell Wilson for most touchdowns thrown in a rookie season with 27, 14 INTs
And Herbert outdid all these numbers this year. Even when Baker Mayfield was putting up those impressive numbers in 2018, I still didn't think he was special. I think Herbert is.

If Tua starts playing like Josh Allen this year, I'll be the right there cheering him on, but unfortunately until then I need to see it. I haven't seen it. I didn't see it at Alabama and I didn't see it this year. What I saw at Alabama was a guy who was protected by a good offensive line who was throwing to wide receivers that were wide open and who never trailed in a game because his defense was the best in the country. I think you put any above average QB in that position you will see similar things. Maybe not as good, but pretty good. I think Tua will get better, but I think he's limited by just how good he can be. I think his ceiling is well below Herberts. He doesn't have a tremendous arm. He doesn't have tremendous running ability. His accuracy wasn't as good as expected when trying to throw into tight coverage. Yeah, he's shown the ability to hit a guy when he's open, let's see him now throw a guy open. Yeah he's shown some things, but not enough things for me to consider that he can ever be special. Time will tell.

Baker Mayfield had a record breaking rookie season, but who is the better QB now, Baker or Josh Allen?
Maybe the question should be who is the better QB Josh Allen or Justin Herbert? His stats were close to Allens this year. You keep saying that you don't know what Tua will do next year or the year after and you're absolutely right I don't. But you don't know what Justin Herbert is going to do next year. He might have a year like Dan Marino had after his rookie year where he rewrote the record books. You might see Herbert throw 45 TD's and 5,000 yards next year.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 02:26:40 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray