Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:42:13 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Gase Fired
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Gase Fired  (Read 4072 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2021, 02:29:02 pm »

Meyer wants $12 Million a year. The Raiders really blew up the coaching market with that Gruden contract. Now, $10 Million is the floor for sought after coaches. Since it doesn't affect the cap, I do not care. The owners are all billionaires, they can afford it.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2021, 02:41:49 pm »

If he gets your team into the playoffs he's worth millions. Literally I think.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2021, 03:55:34 pm »

Meyer wants $12 Million a year. The Raiders really blew up the coaching market with that Gruden contract. Now, $10 Million is the floor for sought after coaches. Since it doesn't affect the cap, I do not care. The owners are all billionaires, they can afford it.

With limited fan attendance, the owners are not going to be spending as much because they can't afford to keep losing money.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2021, 04:01:16 pm »

It's a different animal.  I am realizing as I get older that college coaching is a different skill set than the NFL.  You can find guys that can do both, but there's a tactic in college, where you can be a strongman and use intimidation or fear as a tactic.  You have so much power, these kids rely on you to get playing time, to get seen, to get drafted -- so much of your career depends on one man, so there's a weird power dynamic.

In the NFL, a player doesn't have to take your abusive shit and can walk and another team will likely pick them up.

That's why I think a guy like Saban didn't work.  He can do the Xs and Os part, but I don't think you can bully millionaire adults into doing what you want like you can with 19 year old broke-ass kids.

The other half of being a college coach is recruiting. That's the part that you don't see on Saturday's and where at least half if not more of the games are decided. Guys like Saban know how to get the best players to commit to their school. There's simply nothing like this dynamic in professional sports and it's why some guys don't make it in the NFL after tremendous success in college.

You're both right to some degree.   I also want to point out that a lot of the gimmicky plays and schemes that win Nattys in college will not work in the NFL.

Dave hit it right on the head when he said that coaching in college requires a completely different skill set than coaching in the NFL.   There's a reason why in over 100 years of existence, only three men have won a Natty and a Super Bowl as a head coach
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 04:27:33 pm by ArtieChokePhin » Logged
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2021, 04:10:27 pm »

With limited fan attendance, the owners are not going to be spending as much because they can't afford to keep losing money.
The owners don't make that much money from fan attendance. Most of what they make is from Television contracts.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2021, 08:04:03 am »

There's a reason why in over 100 years of existence, only three men have won a Natty and a Super Bowl as a head coach

Umm.... I am missing at least 46 superbowls then.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2021, 08:13:24 am »

To clarify:

Pappy is 100% right when he talks about recruiting and that kinda ties into what I call "bullying".  That's probably a bad word for it because it's not necessarily a bad thing.  What I mean is that a college coach can be a strong-man and that can be a positive.  "I'm gonna take your slapdick son and whip him into shape because I rule with an iron fist and these kids are gonna do whatever I make them do."  It's almost like boot camp.

You just can't do that in the NFL.

I drink your milkshake!
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2021, 08:38:35 am »

It will be interesting to see where Gase lands after this.  I can't see him getting another NFL Head Coaching job or even an Offensive Coordinator with his documented history of horrible play calling.  I could see him getting a "lesser" assistant coaching job in the NFL or maybe a college Head Coaching job.  The dude has definitely been his own worst enemy as a Head Coach in the NFL.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2021, 09:20:24 am »

To clarify:

Pappy is 100% right when he talks about recruiting and that kinda ties into what I call "bullying".  That's probably a bad word for it because it's not necessarily a bad thing.  What I mean is that a college coach can be a strong-man and that can be a positive.  "I'm gonna take your slapdick son and whip him into shape because I rule with an iron fist and these kids are gonna do whatever I make them do."  It's almost like boot camp.

You just can't do that in the NFL.

Not sure if that is true.  Rumor has it they run a pretty tight ship in Foxoboro.  And Pete Carrol didn’t have a boot camp at USC.

I will agree with recruitment.  And for me this make college sports less interesting than the pros.  It is the equivalent of the NFL flipping the draft so that the team that wins the SB gets the first pick and the team with the worst record picks last.  You would have long lasting dynasties with it almost impossible to move up.

Jets have better chance at winning the SB in the next 3 years than UMASS does of winning a national championship in the next three DECADES.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2021, 09:23:40 am »

Not sure if that is true.  Rumor has it they run a pretty tight ship in Foxoboro.  And Pete Carrol didn’t have a boot camp at USC.

Bellichek might be an exception, I'm not sure -- but I don't think he started that way.

And I know there are coaches that don't run a tight ship in college.  It's not that you have to be a strong-man, it's that you can be one.

I don't think Bellichek is an authoritarian, anyway.  His players seem to like him -- the closest thing I can think of the strong-man in the NFL is a guy like Ditka.  But even then, it was so long ago that when he came back and tried it with the Saints, it just didn't work out.

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2021, 09:33:59 am »

Bellichek might be an exception, I'm not sure -- but I don't think he started that way.

And I know there are coaches that don't run a tight ship in college.  It's not that you have to be a strong-man, it's that you can be one.

I don't think Bellichek is an authoritarian, anyway.  His players seem to like him -- the closest thing I can think of the strong-man in the NFL is a guy like Ditka.  But even then, it was so long ago that when he came back and tried it with the Saints, it just didn't work out.

Tom Coughlin was a hard ass.  It was pretty detrimental to the teams he coached too, unless they were winning.  I remember stories of him easing up later in his coaching career though, more proof it doesn't work well in the NFL.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2021, 09:38:04 am »

Tom Coughlin was a hard ass.  It was pretty detrimental to the teams he coached too, unless they were winning.  I remember stories of him easing up later in his coaching career though, more proof it doesn't work well in the NFL.

Two superbowl wins.  That suggests Tom’s methods were pretty good.

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2021, 09:47:03 am »

To a certain extent, football has evolved (for better or worse) as society has evolved.  The iron fisted coaching styles of the past where players feared/respected coaches don't really fly anymore at least at the professional level.  Don Shula could never run a team today the way he did in the 70's.  Part of this is just because society is different than it was 50 years ago, but also at least in the NFL, it is pretty tough to be a hardass as a coach when your "employees" are making 10X the salary that you (the boss) are making. 
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2021, 11:14:06 am »

Two superbowl wins.  That suggests Tom’s methods were pretty good.
Exactly, it was good until it wasn't, then you would hear countless stories from players on how much of a dick he was.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2021, 12:23:46 pm »

To a certain extent, football has evolved (for better or worse) as society has evolved.  The iron fisted coaching styles of the past where players feared/respected coaches don't really fly anymore at least at the professional level.  Don Shula could never run a team today the way he did in the 70's.  Part of this is just because society is different than it was 50 years ago, but also at least in the NFL, it is pretty tough to be a hardass as a coach when your "employees" are making 10X the salary that you (the boss) are making. 

This is true.

There are other factors, too.  Stories come out and there are sponsors involved.  Money matters.  If you bully people and are seen as a dick (especially if you aren't getting wins), your players can cause stink and then Coca-Cola isn't going to want to give you all this money to have a bad image tied to them.

It was probably always the case to an extent, but with the media having such larger access and twitter being instant, it's exacerbated.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray