Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:48:26 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  If available, would you trade for Deshaun Watson?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24 Print
Author Topic: If available, would you trade for Deshaun Watson?  (Read 43882 times)
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« on: January 08, 2021, 11:19:39 am »

Rumor has it, Watson wants out of Houston.  The price would be steep, like Tua, the #3 pick, and more. 

What would you rather have on this team, long term, moving forward (if possible):
Tua, or Watson?

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 11:34:25 am »

Not interested. Don't think Watson is worth a draft pick let alone giving up on Tua as well.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 11:35:00 am »

Nope

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 11:45:10 am »

Watson can stay in Houston, thanks.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 01:36:53 pm »

Before this season I would have said no way, but I think he played very well this season and without DeAndre Hopkins to boot.

I wouldn't give up Tua and the #3 pick, though. That's basically two high first round picks. That's too rich, IMHO.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 04:08:41 pm »

The contract and draft picks would make this too steep of a price but Watson is great. He played hard all year and even went out there Week 17 while banged up and threw for 365 yards on a 4 win team. He is an elite QB so hopefully he stays out of the AFC East.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 04:41:27 pm »

He's also been around a bit and banged up a bit. I'll take my chances with Tua especially since we don't have to give up anything and he's still on a rookie contract. I'm far from convinced about Tua but on the other hand he did about what I expected from him in his rookie year so I'm actually not down on him either like some seem to be. I think most of them had much higher expectations then I did.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 04:48:08 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 06:37:15 pm »

Rumor has it, Watson wants out of Houston.  The price would be steep, like Tua, the #3 pick, and more. 

What would you rather have on this team, long term, moving forward (if possible):
Tua, or Watson?

I would consider it if the price was right.  Keep in mind that Houston is going into a total rebuild mode, so they are not negotiating from a position of strength.  No way they get Tua and the #3 pick.   Not with that contract.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2021, 10:42:13 am »

Word is, the Texans are asking for 3 firsts and 3 seconds.  They are out of their minds
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2021, 12:37:39 pm »

He is untradeable as it would involve a $67 million dollar cap hit.   

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2021, 01:44:03 pm »

Word is, the Texans are asking for 3 firsts and 3 seconds.  They are out of their minds

That's the problem with the Texans, they have no idea about anyone's trade value because Bill O'Brien was a complete idiot. Their only shot at getting that price is trading to a team wHO hired Bill O'Brien to be their GM.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2021, 04:29:51 pm »

Let's suppose that Mahomes wanted out of KC.  Would 3 firsts and 3 seconds be a fair ask?
What about if Rodgers wanted out of GB?

I know no one wants to talk about what WSH paid for RG3 because Dan Snyder is crazy.  So let's remember that Jared Goff (plus a fourth and a sixth) was traded for 2 firsts, 2 seconds, and 2 thirds.

Deshaun Watson today is a LOT better than Jared Goff was coming out of college.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2021, 04:42:50 pm »

The issue with the Goff trade is that it was incredibly stupid at the time and worse now. Watson and Mahomes are a million times better than Goff but no one is worth no draft picks for 2 years. Even O'Brien wouldn't do that trade.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2021, 05:11:08 pm »

Are you saying that even Mahomes isn't worth 3 firsts and 3 seconds?   Because the flipside of what you are saying is that if someone offers a GM 3 firsts and 3 seconds for a player - no matter who that player is - that GM should always take it, as they are necessarily coming out ahead in that deal.

I mean, suppose we could go back in time to the 2000 or 2005 draft, with all GMs knowing what Brady or Rodgers will do.  What you're essentially saying is that if someone offered CLE or SF 3 firsts and 3 seconds for Brady or Rodgers, those teams should accept those trades.

I don't think draft picks are as valuable as you imply.  Look at the last 10 years of MIA first- and second-round picks, and tell me how many of them would have been worth giving up to have Mahomes or Watson on this team right now.

P.S. It is also worth mentioning that only 3 years after the incredibly stupid trade that left their cupboard bare of high-value draft picks, the Rams were tied for the best record in the league and made it to the Super Bowl.  Doesn't seem like they were hamstrung very much by that trade!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 05:13:48 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2021, 07:04:03 pm »

It depends on where you pick and how close you are to a championship. Cap space too is a factor. In general, if you lose your 1st and 2nd rounder for 3 years, you are on your way down. However, if you are an 11 win team with a crap QB, Mahomes can get you a championship or two.....before you start to go down the standings because you have no draft picks and your cap space is non existent since you have no cheap talent.

It's basically a Bill O'Brien move. You risk it all for short term glory, it's up to you whether you think it's worth it or not. I don't but I admit if we win 11 games next year while Tua plays like trash, I wouldn't be screaming if we made that trade since we are close to a championship.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray