Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:08:08 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Darnold Traded to Panthers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Darnold Traded to Panthers  (Read 2749 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« on: April 05, 2021, 04:11:56 pm »

2021 6th Rounder
2022 2nd Rounder
2022 4th Rounder

Have to be honest, that's a pretty good haul for the Jets for a guy everyone knew they gave up on. Bad trade by the Panthers as they could've just drafted a QB now with more upside than Sam or packaged some picks to move up and see if the Falcons didn't want a QB. I think a 2022 2nd rounder should've been the only pick traded so congrats to the Jets. Panthers also picked up his 5th year option so they get to watch their failure for 2 years now.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 04:50:02 pm »

Well there goes any thought of missing out on one of the big 3 pass catchers and the OT at #6 in the draft. One of them is going to be there and probably multiple passing targets will be there.

For what it's worth that's more than I would have given for Darnold.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 05:00:51 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 07:51:27 pm »

I said in the other Darnold thread that I wouldn't be surprised if someone gave a 2nd rounder for him.  So with a 2nd, 4th and 6th, the Jets got more than I thought they would.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 10:21:52 pm »

Well there goes any thought of missing out on one of the big 3 pass catchers and the OT at #6 in the draft. One of them is going to be there and probably multiple passing targets will be there.

For what it's worth that's more than I would have given for Darnold.

No doubt about this now.  Jets are drafting Wilson or Fields
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 12:46:29 am »

I could see getting a 2nd and 6th, adding in that 4th rounder is probably a little much.  Good trade for the Jets (especially when you consider the Panthers will be terrible and their picks next year will be towards the top of the draft), poor for the Panthers, and terrible for Darnold.  If Darnold did have any upside it won't be found in Carolina.  Best he can hope for is to bounce around the league as a backup and bank some cash over the next six years.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 02:50:59 am »

Darnold's next two years aren't too expensive.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 08:04:22 am »

Much like with Miami and Rosen, this trade will either be a great deal or complete waste for Carolina.  If Darnold becomes the QB that he was projected to be and in fact his struggles are directly caused by Jets mismanagement than Carolina got the deal of a lifetime. OTOH, if he isn’t a permanent solution for Carolina’s QB position, than it was a waste of picks and they could have just used Bridgewater for another season.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 08:28:24 am »

Much like with Miami and Rosen, this trade will either be a great deal or complete waste for Carolina.  If Darnold becomes the QB that he was projected to be and in fact his struggles are directly caused by Jets mismanagement than Carolina got the deal of a lifetime. OTOH, if he isn’t a permanent solution for Carolina’s QB position, than it was a waste of picks and they could have just used Bridgewater for another season.

Rosen was just for a 2nd rounder and he only had one year under his belt, so the argument was he just had a bad environment in Arizona. Darnold has 3 years of shit and got a bigger trade package than Rosen. The Panthers didn't pay top dollar for a QB, but they didn't pay $1 for a lottery ticket either. Just seems like the team was tunnel visioned to find a new QB and they settled for anything.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 08:33:53 am »

Rosen was just for a 2nd rounder and he only had one year under his belt, so the argument was he just had a bad environment in Arizona. Darnold has 3 years of shit and got a bigger trade package than Rosen. The Panthers didn't pay top dollar for a QB, but they didn't pay $1 for a lottery ticket either. Just seems like the team was tunnel visioned to find a new QB and they settled for anything.

I think that is probably a pretty accurate assessment.  A lot of times, teams think they have better insight and understanding of things than other teams do.  Maybe Carolina thinks they see something in Darnold that can be relatively easily fixed so they were more comfortable with what they were giving up for him?  I dunno, just speculating.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2021, 08:35:47 am »

Is there some kind of connection between Carolina and Darnold? Maybe a coach that played with him before or something? That's usually what will get a player to a team when you can really find no other reason.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2021, 08:52:18 am »

Is there some kind of connection between Carolina and Darnold? Maybe a coach that played with him before or something? That's usually what will get a player to a team when you can really find no other reason.

I don't know but that's a good question!
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2021, 09:08:32 am »

I don't think so but sometimes teams see something in a player, like a flawed mechanic they think they can fix and turn him into a superstar. Problem is, Carolina isn't exactly filled with QB Gurus and the price they paid is way too much for a shot in the dark.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2021, 09:41:48 am »

I don't think so but sometimes teams see something in a player, like a flawed mechanic they think they can fix and turn him into a superstar. Problem is, Carolina isn't exactly filled with QB Gurus and the price they paid is way too much for a shot in the dark.

Maybe they need to bring in "The QB whisperer" Adam Gase.  LOL   Remember when that was what everyone called him when he first came to Miami?
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2021, 09:53:26 am »

Maybe they need to bring in "The QB whisperer" Adam Gase.  LOL   Remember when that was what everyone called him when he first came to Miami?

He made Jay Cutler show 55% effort as opposed to his usual 30% and that made him like $30 Million.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2021, 12:36:33 pm »

The Panthers have not picked up Darnold's 5th year option and their GM said the team will wait until after the draft to address it.

This is a poorly run organization.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray