Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:56:37 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  If available, would you trade for Deshaun Watson?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24 Print
Author Topic: If available, would you trade for Deshaun Watson?  (Read 43705 times)
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #180 on: February 02, 2021, 08:07:36 pm »

2013? What happened in 201.....*has seizure from relapsed trauma*

The #3 pick this year is insanely valuable because of 3 outcomes. 1) Draft Sewell who is a once a decade O-Line prospect 2) Draft Chase or Smith and elevate the passing game 3) Drop down a few spots and accumulate more picks so some QB needy team can draft the next Sam Darnold at 3. Not as glamorous but could be better for the team overall to fill out some depth

There are obviously years where the draft talent sucks or the 84th best prospect in the draft goes 3rd just because he is a QB, but this is a very good draft and our pick is worth a lot.

If you trade down with Cincy and end up at 5, one of the first two options will still happen. 

That being said, if I'm Greer, I drop out at this point.  The Raiders are now in trade talks with the Texans for Watson and are willing to package multiple first round picks plus Derek Carr to get him.  The irony is that if this trade goes through,  Carr will be playing for the team his big brother got ruined by.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #181 on: February 02, 2021, 08:54:42 pm »

If you trade down with Cincy and end up at 5, one of the first two options will still happen. 

That being said, if I'm Greer, I drop out at this point.  The Raiders are now in trade talks with the Texans for Watson and are willing to package multiple first round picks plus Derek Carr to get him.  The irony is that if this trade goes through,  Carr will be playing for the team his big brother got ruined by.

I think the Raiders are trying to trade Carr anywhere and using those picks for Watson, not throwing in Carr as a prize. Texans probably have no interest in him because they won't be contending anytime soon.

I think we are just going to place a phone call and bow out too, the more teams that are actually involved, the greater likelihood some team will go way too far with compensation. Raiders are a decent destination if you are Watson, they are a middle of the pack team that will improve with his play.

I would be fine with trading back to Carolina at 8 if they pay enough. We won't get our top WR choice but we will get our 2nd or 3rd choice and that is still a major improvement over what we have now. If no one bites, then trade with Cincy.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #182 on: February 02, 2021, 09:26:46 pm »

I would be fine with trading back to Carolina at 8 if they pay enough. We won't get our top WR choice but we will get our 2nd or 3rd choice and that is still a major improvement over what we have now. If no one bites, then trade with Cincy.

Or why not do both and pick up a slew of picks?
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #183 on: February 02, 2021, 09:33:49 pm »

Or why not do both and pick up a slew of picks?

Very possible too, but as long as it is worth it. I don't want to go from 3 to 8 for just a 2022 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder.
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #184 on: February 03, 2021, 10:55:47 am »

Ok, I've been thinking about this and have had this epiphany. If this were just a straight up man for man trade, then sure, do it. But I want the Dolphins to keep these first round draft picks. They're just too valuable. So no, don't do it.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #185 on: February 03, 2021, 08:12:28 pm »

I was going to mention this interview with Jimmy Johnson from the Joe Rose show but some writer posted the interview in an article without giving credit to where it had actually come from. I see this done all the time and it seems a bit disingenuous to me. Anyway it keeps me from having to type out the jest of it ... hahaha ...

“I think Tua is a good player,” Johnson told WQAM on Tuesday. “I like him. He made some good plays. He can throw the football. He’s got a little bit of mobility. He’s a young kid. As he matures and as he gets better and as you give him a better supporting cast with all those draft picks, he’ll be a good player. I like him. ... It takes time. My buddy Terry Bradshaw didn’t smell the end zone until his fourth or fifth year.”

Johnson also weighed in on the Deshaun Watson-Houston Texans debacle.

“He’s more valuable than what Herschel Walker was,” said Johnson. “They’ve got to change the culture in Houston. Obviously, people weren’t happy with [DeAndre] Hopkins being traded to Arizona. I’m sure Watson wasn’t either. He’s one of the best receivers in the entire league. You don’t get rid of superstars. They’re hard to find. Watson, at his age, and especially with the contract when you don’t have the deferred money, he’s worth more than in any other trade I’ve ever seen.

“My advice to [the Texans] is you knock on [Watson’s] door, have a couple beers, and say, ‘Hey, how can we work this out?’ And if he says no, you go back the next day and knock on his door and say, ‘How can we work this out? I do believe if you put it on Watson and say, ‘What do you want?’ Put it on him and if he says, ‘I need this,’ you say OK let’s work together and get this done. I wouldn’t let him go. They’ve got no shot if they let him go.”

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #186 on: February 03, 2021, 08:20:29 pm »

Jimmy Johnson's problem is that he is using logic, the Houston front office doesn't use logic. The whole team is basically run by a Life Coach. In theory, he is correct that the best course of action would be to stick with DeShaun and see if it works out. Problem is, they just lied to him and pissed him off again by not having him involved in the GM and HC searches. They didn't even call the very qualified guy that Watson recommended.

These are not old problems, they just happened. The only thing left undecided is will Watson go to a less desirable team just to leave or will the Texans call his bluff and keep him if a team like Miami doesn't have the best offer.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #187 on: February 04, 2021, 12:01:34 am »

Problem is, they just lied to him and pissed him off again by not having him involved in the GM and HC searches. They didn't even call the very qualified guy that Watson recommended.
If it were only that they lied to him, that would be one thing.

But the Texans hired an outside firm to conduct a GM search, then - after receiving their recommendations - completely ignored them to hire the life coach's former coworker who was never even submitted for evaluation to the the scouting firm.

Clowns of the earth.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #188 on: February 04, 2021, 07:21:11 am »

Jimmy Johnson laid out a perfect example of why I don’t want to sacrifice much to get Watson.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/jimmy-johnson-names-most-talented-quarterback-he-s-ever-seen/ar-BB1dmFX1?ocid=spartan-ntp-feeds

“But it’s the supporting cast,” Johnson concluded. “I don’t care who your quarterback is. Matthew Stafford could have won a bunch of Super Bowls if he’d had the right supporting cast. You look at Aaron Rodgers. He’s as talented any quarterback in the league right now but (Green Bay) has come up short. People made a lot of the fact that when I coached the Cowboys we had “the triplets”—Troy Aikman, Michael Irvin and Emmitt Smith. They overlook the fact that we were No. 1 in the NFL in total defense. But it’s really a team game. I don’t care how talented your quarterback is.”

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #189 on: February 04, 2021, 08:32:13 am »

If it were only that they lied to him, that would be one thing.

But the Texans hired an outside firm to conduct a GM search, then - after receiving their recommendations - completely ignored them to hire the life coach's former coworker who was never even submitted for evaluation to the the scouting firm.

Clowns of the earth.

They are villains, you almost wish they would trade Watson for a 4th rounder to the Giants just to laugh at them more.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #190 on: February 05, 2021, 04:34:02 pm »

From a person who has successfully dealt with personnel I thought Scott Pioli said some interesting things today in regards to Tua.

“From a personnel standpoint, as any outsider, I don’t think you can sit here and have a real opinion on that because the only people that know what kind of progress that Tua made this year and how good he is on a day-to-day basis and how good he’s going to be in the pro system, in their system (are the Dolphins)," Pioli said Friday. "That was the (Dolphins') first pick overall last year. They obviously liked a lot of things about him.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #191 on: February 12, 2021, 10:38:37 am »

Reports this morning are that Watson is not interested in the Jets but is "intrigued" by the Niners and Broncos. Niners have no cap space so even if they dump Jimmy G, which they would have to since he wouldn't be their QB, they would probably only barely be able to afford Watson while letting ey guys walk in free agency. Combine that with a tough division and it just doesn't make much sense as a desired landing spot for him.

Broncos.......only if he REALLY wants out of Houston. They are not a good team and while he would definitely improve them, the Chiefs are still the class of that division and the Chargers will only get better. I can see the Chargers winning 10 games next year now that their idiot coach is gone and won't cost them every close game with his decision making. Raiders are good for 7-9 wins as well.

But now that Watt is gone, it appears the rebuild is on and Houston will be more motivated to move him but I'm 99% sure at this point he won't be a Dolphin. Only real way was him forcing Houston's hand to accept our small offer but that seems unlikely now.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #192 on: February 17, 2021, 10:40:06 am »

More word that the Broncos are very interested and are willing to pay for Watson. They do have some young talent but that will do Deshaun no good if they go to Houston. I would say Deshaun is 99% dead in the water for us so unless something changes in the next 2 weeks, might as well move this to the Around the NFL forum.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #193 on: February 17, 2021, 05:45:21 pm »

More word that the Broncos are very interested and are willing to pay for Watson. They do have some young talent but that will do Deshaun no good if they go to Houston. I would say Deshaun is 99% dead in the water for us so unless something changes in the next 2 weeks, might as well move this to the Around the NFL forum.

I think Bronco's ownership has had enough of John Elways QB picking; I can understand them wanting to bring in a proven talent.  The only thing Elway did right was bring in a proven talent, Peyton Manning.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #194 on: February 18, 2021, 08:51:37 am »

I think Bronco's ownership has had enough of John Elways QB picking; I can understand them wanting to bring in a proven talent.  The only thing Elway did right was bring in a proven talent, Peyton Manning.

It's hard to pick a franchise QB from where they were drafting and good QBs rarely become free agents. Not impossible but certainly harder than with a Top 5 pick. Their options this year are to trade up for one or trade for Watson. Otherwise, Drew Lock is their guy.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray