Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:50:50 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  If available, would you trade for Deshaun Watson?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24 Print
Author Topic: If available, would you trade for Deshaun Watson?  (Read 43876 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2021, 08:30:32 am »

I'm sure there would be but the No Trade Clause makes that irrelevant. Watson would never go to the Jets, let alone a Jets team that just gave up 5 first rounders for him.
We assume he wouldn't go to the Jets from our perspective but who really knows? Some people just love those bright lights and big city.

Not sure if I've mentioned this but I do like Watson and think he is much better than Tua to this point. I just don't see "this" Dolphins team trading for him. Past ... heck yes. I think they will kick the tires just like they did the first pick last year but won't give up what they've built to get him. There is too much New England in this team to do that. As well ... if they start dumping all their picks then everything they are doing at the Senior bowl is a waste of time.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2021, 09:06:56 am »

Yeah, Flores and company are not the type of team to make a splashy trade for a QB, but they will absolutely do their due diligence, knowing they are the overwhelming favorites to land him if he does get traded. I think a trade happens if the chips fall into place and Watson basically turns heel and threatens to sit out unless he is traded to a specific team. Once that happens, we don't have to send back too many picks or players, maybe even get to keep the #3 pick.

But like I said, the chips have to fall into place. If Watson is open to being traded to 6 different teams then there will be a bidding war and we are going to sit it out.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2021, 09:51:25 am »

^^^^ I completely agree with that. If it does happen I'm guessing he will have a list of teams. I think teams like Chicago, Las Vegas, Denver, and Washington would get pretty silly for him. Or at least more silly than we would want to go.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2021, 03:10:29 pm »

Watson just stated that his preferred landing spots are New York (Jets) and Miami.
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2021, 03:54:58 pm »

I don’t really know what I think about the possibility of Miami trading for him. Part of me thinks that it would be a mistake. He won’t come cheap, and the Dolphins should have a great draft to build around Tua. Watson though is a proven quarterback that can pit a team on his shoulders. He’s an automatic upgrade for almost any team.
But got God’s sake I do not want him in the AFC East if the Dolphins don’t trade for him.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2021, 05:23:49 pm »

Watson just stated that his preferred landing spots are New York (Jets) and Miami.

So, great weather, no income taxes and Superbowl contention vs. the asshole of America and maxing out at 7 wins by 2022.

Yeah, tough call.

EDIT: The Texans probably leaked this to get a better offer from Miami but they won't get into a bidding war with a team that will have no draft picks or wins for the next few years. Let Watson rot in NY if he honestly wants to go there. If he hates bad management and losing, not the best choice.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 05:29:33 pm by EDGECRUSHER » Logged
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2021, 02:45:01 am »

It would be a shame to narrowly avoid having Trevor Lawrence playing for a division rival, only to wind up with Deshaun Watson there instead.

ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #97 on: January 24, 2021, 06:37:35 am »

Looks like the Texans like Tua.  Like I said before, I'd offer them picks 18 and 36 along with Tua.  No more.  Then trade down from 3 to 5 and recoup some of those picks.

https://www.inquisitr.com/6459306/nfl-rumors-texans-tua-tagovailoa/
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2021, 09:47:57 am »

It would be a shame to narrowly avoid having Trevor Lawrence playing for a division rival, only to wind up with Deshaun Watson there instead.

Yes, but Watson goes to them while a ton of first rounders goes to Houston. Combine that with normal Jets incompetence and he wouldn't be nearly as much of a threat if he went to the Pats instead.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2021, 01:20:18 pm »

Chris Mortensen reports that no matter who Houston hires as head coach, Watson still wants out. If he is even considering the Jets, then he is using his emotions over his brain and I don't think that will play well with Flores and our team.

I know that the organization has treated him terribly and he deserves to be angry, but you want someone who wants to win, not just leave because the owner isn't your best friend. He will never sniff the playoffs with the Jets. Still hoping that is just a fake rumor leaked by the Texans themselves.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2021, 02:29:55 pm »

Yes, but Watson goes to them while a ton of first rounders goes to Houston.
Again, the Rams gave away a raft of picks for Goff, and they have been quite competitive since (including a trip to the SB).  PHI gave up 2 firsts, a second, a third, and a fourth for Wentz before they won the SB (which Wentz didn't even play in).

I think you guys are really overestimating how much lost picks "cripple" a team.  It isn't significantly worse than bad picks, which happen ALL THE TIME.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 02:31:56 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2021, 03:21:09 pm »

Again, the Rams gave away a raft of picks for Goff, and they have been quite competitive since (including a trip to the SB).  PHI gave up 2 firsts, a second, a third, and a fourth for Wentz before they won the SB (which Wentz didn't even play in).

I think you guys are really overestimating how much lost picks "cripple" a team.  It isn't significantly worse than bad picks, which happen ALL THE TIME.

It's certainly possible but the Jets are a complete disaster and have virtually no talent on their team. You can't build an entire roster via free agency, you are going to have to hit on some draft picks to fill out the roster to be competitive. Hard to do that with no 1st rounder until, what, 2023? Not to mention that while they have a good amount of cap space, Watson will be taking a good chunk of that. There is just no scenario where they make the playoffs anytime soon if they pull this trade off.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2021, 04:30:59 pm »

One slight point of difference, if someone decides to pick up Watson not only are they going to potentially gift up a swag of high draft picks, they could also potentially cripple their own salary cap with his huge contract.

I just can't get my head around why Miami would even contemplate such an absurd thing after trading away Tannehill because of his salary, then Tunsil, Stills (and to a lesser extent Minkah) to get a huge haul of high draft picks to rebuild the team, and then blow the whole lot on Dehaun Watson. The guy is not the huge upgrade to be worth it, full stop.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2021, 05:13:18 pm »

One slight point of difference, if someone decides to pick up Watson not only are they going to potentially gift up a swag of high draft picks, they could also potentially cripple their own salary cap with his huge contract.

I just can't get my head around why Miami would even contemplate such an absurd thing after trading away Tannehill because of his salary, then Tunsil, Stills (and to a lesser extent Minkah) to get a huge haul of high draft picks to rebuild the team, and then blow the whole lot on Dehaun Watson. The guy is not the huge upgrade to be worth it, full stop.

Watson is definitely that big of an upgrade over Tua, at least the 2020 version of Tua. I am not giving up on the kid and I expect much better play in 2021, but we just went 10-6 and have a lot of young talent. Watson is the type of guy that makes us Superbowl contenders right now. Not saying we need to make the trade but it would absolutely improve us in the next few seasons.

It would not improve the Jets to the point of contention so that would be a stupid trade for them.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2021, 06:16:06 pm »

Watson is definitely that big of an upgrade over Tua, at least the 2020 version of Tua. I am not giving up on the kid and I expect much better play in 2021, but we just went 10-6 and have a lot of young talent. Watson is the type of guy that makes us Superbowl contenders right now. Not saying we need to make the trade but it would absolutely improve us in the next few seasons.

I can't disagree with the bolded bits strongly enough. As good as this seasons improvement was, the blowout to the Bills at the end of the season was a wake up call - we need improvements at wide receiver, running back, linebacker (and possibly safety) before we're a contender for the AFC East title, let alone anything else.

Watson at QB ain't going to fix any of that, if anything it makes the situation worse because the loss of picks and salary cap space robs us the ability to do it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 06:59:38 pm by Downunder Dolphan » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray