Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:38:13 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  If available, would you trade for Deshaun Watson?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24 Print
Author Topic: If available, would you trade for Deshaun Watson?  (Read 43701 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #195 on: February 19, 2021, 02:52:25 pm »

I would say Deshaun is 99% dead in the water for us so unless something changes in the next 2 weeks
I would be tempted to say just the opposite. Most teams simply do not have the capital to get Deshaun Watson from the Texans. The problem is the Texans do not want Deshaun Watson. At some point the Texans are going to have to lower their demands for Watson's services and the only question now is when that will be. If this goes all the way up to a few days before the draft, I think it's at that time that Miami could be a player for Watson especially if Miami picks up a couple more pieces by trading down a few spots in the draft. If that happens, it will be very interesting to see just how high Miami is willing to go to get Watson. They are happy with Tua, but just happy. Not ecstatic. They would be ecstatic to get Watson. The only question is going to be the price tag and the longer this goes the price tag is going to start looking better and better.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 02:54:13 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #196 on: February 19, 2021, 02:57:17 pm »

Every team has the capital if they are willing to not draft a 1st rounder for 3-4 years. Granted, not one team can really match what we can offer for 2021 but there are teams who will give up a ridiculous amount for him.

If we offered Tua, the #3 and #18 picks, what would the equivalent to that be? 6 1st rounders? I can see some team coming close to that and hoping it works out.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #197 on: February 19, 2021, 03:02:24 pm »

Every team has the capital if they are willing to not draft a 1st rounder for 3-4 years. Granted, not one team can really match what we can offer for 2021 but there are teams who will give up a ridiculous amount for him.

If we offered Tua, the #3 and #18 picks, what would the equivalent to that be? 6 1st rounders? I can see some team coming close to that and hoping it works out.
It's not just about being able to give up the picks it's also about being able to fit Watson on your roster. Most teams have a QB already. Most of the others know who their QB is going to be this year anyway. There's only a handful that still don't know who the QB is going to be and some of those are looking at the draft to figure that out, they aren't going to give up several 1st rounders for him when they can just give up one one, it's just not going to happen. Everyone wants Watson, but most teams know you can't blow up your team to get him. The Dolphins are one of the few teams that could get Watson without blowing up the team. The Dolphins know this and so do the Texans. The question is who blinks first? The Dolphins, the Texans or one of the few others who would be willing to blow up their team?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 03:41:19 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #198 on: February 19, 2021, 05:06:56 pm »

If that article I posted about Howard is true, I would throw him into the trade and keep our 18th pick. No offer is better than Tua, the #3 pick and Howard.

That being said, I kinda moved on from Watson and think we might be better with a full offseason from Tua and adding some weapons for him.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #199 on: February 19, 2021, 05:11:50 pm »

i'm still with no on this .. draft weapons for tua and build through the draft and keep improving
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #200 on: February 22, 2021, 03:32:52 am »

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/are-panthers-clearing-so-much-cap-room-to-make-a-run-at-deshaun-watson-heres-what-carolinas-cleared-so-far/

Panthers are clearing a lot of cap space in a hurry, and Bridgewater has unfollowed the team on the weekend - looks like they are going to have a big try at a big name for QB, unless it's Rodgers or Wilson, you would have to think it's Watson.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #201 on: February 22, 2021, 09:03:51 am »

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/are-panthers-clearing-so-much-cap-room-to-make-a-run-at-deshaun-watson-heres-what-carolinas-cleared-so-far/

Panthers are clearing a lot of cap space in a hurry, and Bridgewater has unfollowed the team on the weekend - looks like they are going to have a big try at a big name for QB, unless it's Rodgers or Wilson, you would have to think it's Watson.

While they would certainly be better with Watson, they aren't exactly loaded with talent right now. So, trading away draft picks and assets is going to hurt their chances at being a contender. I can't think of any team like us that could absorb the trade cost and not necessarily feel it.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #202 on: February 23, 2021, 10:00:16 am »

It's been confirmed that Watson would waive his no trade clause only for the Jets, Dolphins, and Panthers. 

Looks like it's going to be a bidding war, which I would rather not see the Dolphins get involved in.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #203 on: February 23, 2021, 10:25:37 am »

It's been confirmed that Watson would waive his no trade clause only for the Jets, Dolphins, and Panthers. 

Looks like it's going to be a bidding war, which I would rather not see the Dolphins get involved in.

"I will only go to a playoff contender with a bright future or the worst team in existence with no draft picks." That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and what the hell are the Panthers doing there either? This smells like a behind the scenes agreement between Watson and the Texans to include more teams for a bidding war so Miami pays more for his services, he would be the biggest idiot in the league if he goes to the Jets. If he wants to play for a team that won't be in the playoffs before his contract expires and bad ownership, just stay where you are.

I am fully committed to Tua and keeping our good draft picks/cap space at this point. Let the Jets have him so they could go an "exciting" 4-12.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #204 on: February 23, 2021, 11:29:37 am »

The Jets play in New York City.

Including endorsement deals, Watson will make FAR MORE MONEY playing for the Jets than he will playing for any team not named the Giants or Cowboys, who I presume were not included as destinations.  (Keep in mind Watson will be leaving the 3rd largest city in the nation.) It's silly to dismiss that as a factor.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #205 on: February 23, 2021, 12:17:24 pm »

Including endorsement deals, Watson will make FAR MORE MONEY playing for the Jets than he will playing for any team not named the Giants or Cowboys, who I presume were not included as destinations.  (Keep in mind Watson will be leaving the 3rd largest city in the nation.) It's silly to dismiss that as a factor.

It is not the size of city that matters, it is the size of the fan base.  LA is the second largest city in the country, but nobody is going crazy trying to sign Rams players to national endorsement deals.  Dallas, NEP, Steelers, Patriots, Denver.....

https://www.statista.com/statistics/240028/facebook-fans-of-national-football-league-teams/

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #206 on: February 23, 2021, 01:10:51 pm »

It is not the size of city that matters, it is the size of the fan base.
No, it is not... especially in a league with a hard salary cap like the NFL.

The Chiefs are in the bottom half of the league in fanbase size, and yet Mahomes has quite a few high profile national endorsements.  The major difference is in the local/regional endorsements, and Big Ben isn't going to get regional endorsements in another team's city, no matter how many fans the Steelers have nationwide.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 01:13:07 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #207 on: February 23, 2021, 01:11:35 pm »

They didn't say "only".

On Monday, sources told Offsides with Marc Ryan that while the list may not be finalized and the situation remains fluid, there are three teams that Watson has expressed willingness to approve a trade to: the New York Jets, the Miami Dolphins, and the Carolina Panthers.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #208 on: February 23, 2021, 01:41:56 pm »

NY has very high income taxes and the cost of living is also insane. He would have to get millions more in endorsement deals in NYC that he wouldn't get in major market Miami to make up for it. That seems very unlikely considering the Jets are terrible and will remain terrible for the next few seasons.

Plus, where would youn rather live, Miami or crime ridden NYC that doesn't even open due to lockdowns? Since "2 weeks to flatten the curve" turned into what we have now, it's not right to assume this will change in NYC any time soon. Just a ton of factors for why Miami is a better destination, I won't believe he is seriously considering the Jets until he wears an ugly green jersey and goes 4-12.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #209 on: February 23, 2021, 03:01:30 pm »

In other words the other 29 teams either have no interest in him, or don't have the assets to trade/or cap space available to accommodate him on the roster.  I don't think there is going to be a bidding war at all, the Dolphins are not interested at all, and any other team is looking to get him as cheap as possible (otherwise they can just stink for another year and hope for a high draft pick next year).  Watson really put himself in a corner with his public actions.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 03:03:50 pm by masterfins » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray