Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:54:52 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  If available, would you trade for Deshaun Watson?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24 Print
Author Topic: If available, would you trade for Deshaun Watson?  (Read 43324 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #210 on: February 23, 2021, 03:08:56 pm »

In other words the other 29 teams either have no interest in him, or don't have the assets to trade/or cap space available to accommodate him on the roster.  I don't think there is going to be a bidding war at all, the Dolphins are not interested at all, and any other team is looking to get him as cheap as possible (otherwise they can just stink for another year and hope for a high draft pick next year).  Watson really put himself in a corner with his public actions.

It's not that there is no interest in him, he has no interest in them, at least for now. Assuming we are offering Tua, the 3 and 18, no other team can touch that because this jumpstarts their rebuild right now. Anything else the other teams offer is mainly for the future. The Jets offering their #2 pick will be used for a QB, but then that's it for now. We are offering a franchise QB in Tua and the #3 pick. There is no comparison. 6 first rounders aren't the same as our offer because who knows what 2024 will bring?

I am still all for keeping Tua but it's worth discussing until we know one way or the other.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #211 on: February 23, 2021, 04:44:36 pm »

NY has very high income taxes and the cost of living is also insane. He would have to get millions more in endorsement deals in NYC that he wouldn't get in major market Miami to make up for it. That seems very unlikely considering the Jets are terrible and will remain terrible for the next few seasons.
We've seen the difference that Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, or Tom Brady make on a football team.  Yeah, HOU was bad this year, but the idea that the Jets will be a perennial failure with Watson is wishful thinking.  Watson would indeed get millions more in endorsements playing for the Jets.

Plus, where would youn rather live, Miami or crime ridden NYC that doesn't even open due to lockdowns? Since "2 weeks to flatten the curve" turned into what we have now, it's not right to assume this will change in NYC any time soon.
You're presuming that Watson shares your political leanings and thinks that a state that has remained Fully Open For Business during COVID is a good thing.  That might be an accurate presumption for someone like Drew Brees or Nick Bosa, but given that Watson was one of the leading voices in the NFL to speak out after George Floyd's death, he might have a different opinion than you expect.

Although I must say that "What player would want to go to crime-ridden, high tax New York City?" is a pretty innovative insight on player movement.  NY and LA teams must have a hard time attracting free agents, what with their expensive cost of living!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 04:48:32 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #212 on: February 23, 2021, 08:33:47 pm »

We've seen the difference that Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, or Tom Brady make on a football team.  Yeah, HOU was bad this year, but the idea that the Jets will be a perennial failure with Watson is wishful thinking.  Watson would indeed get millions more in endorsements playing for the Jets.
You're presuming that Watson shares your political leanings and thinks that a state that has remained Fully Open For Business during COVID is a good thing.  That might be an accurate presumption for someone like Drew Brees or Nick Bosa, but given that Watson was one of the leading voices in the NFL to speak out after George Floyd's death, he might have a different opinion than you expect.

Although I must say that "What player would want to go to crime-ridden, high tax New York City?" is a pretty innovative insight on player movement.  NY and LA teams must have a hard time attracting free agents, what with their expensive cost of living!

The Jets have been bad for awhile because they have bad ownership with an insane internal policy of not firing coaches midseason no matter how bad they are. They consistently hire the wrong people for the job. They have very little talent and if they trade for Watson, they will have a hard time replenishing their talent pool within the draft seeing as they will be without 1s and 2s for a bit. So, it's not wishful thinking that they will be bad for years to come, it's quite logical. The Jets just simply suck and that's good for us.

As far as NY goes, I live here and it is a shithole. It isn't what it once was so the lure of the Big Apple is gone. What NYC excelled at was restaurants and theaters and arts and they are all closed, some for good. That's why I bring it up, not for any political reason. Miami is open and while their pizza is absolute shit, I'm sure DeShaun will enjoy the nightlife more, not to mention the beaches and maybe the weather. Don't know if he is a cold weather guy or not. Don't look at this from a political point of view, look at it from a factual POV. Florida is open so a wealthy man like DeShaun can enjoy it. He cannot enjoy NY as much as he would be able to in 2019 and there is no real end in sight and that is probably a factor for him. After all, what good is tons of money and fame if you are stuck in your $4 Million apartment watching Netflix?
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #213 on: February 23, 2021, 10:44:07 pm »

The Jets have the same ownership they had when Rex Ryan took them to back-to-back conference title games.  Every team is one good head coach + one good QB away from contending.  (And sometimes you don't even need both; Rex Ryan never had a good QB and Aaron Rodgers didn't have a good coach.)

I also don't agree that there is "no real end in sight" for the lockdowns.  There should be enough vaccines for everyone who wants one - even in NYC - before the preseason starts.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 10:48:33 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #214 on: February 24, 2021, 10:36:59 am »

I am still all for keeping Tua but it's worth discussing until we know one way or the other.
I'm ok with keeping Tua and continuing on, but I'd rather have Watson. I wouldn't mortgage the future for him, but Tua the #3 pick and another 1st round maybe next year would be a steal in my opinion. It might take Tua, #3 and the #18 and I don't like that as much but I'd have to still consider that as well. Anything more then that, they can keep Watson and I'll take my chances with Tua.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #215 on: February 24, 2021, 11:33:10 am »

The Jets have the same ownership they had when Rex Ryan took them to back-to-back conference title games.  Every team is one good head coach + one good QB away from contending.  (And sometimes you don't even need both; Rex Ryan never had a good QB and Aaron Rodgers didn't have a good coach.)

I also don't agree that there is "no real end in sight" for the lockdowns.  There should be enough vaccines for everyone who wants one - even in NYC - before the preseason starts.

I certainly hope that the end is near in terms of lockdowns, but you have to forgive me for being skeptical considering all that has occured. Let's just all hope it is over soon and people are healthy.

Rex Ryan feels like 90 years ago now. His love of Sanchez might have cost them a Superbowl.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #216 on: February 24, 2021, 02:58:51 pm »

It's not that there is no interest in him, he has no interest in them, at least for now.

I think you are completely wrong.  If Watson is interested in the Jets, probably a worse franchise than Texas, then he would be interested in ANY team that would consider him at this point.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #217 on: February 25, 2021, 01:29:09 pm »

ESPN is reporting that Houston is avodiing calls about Watson while DeShaun is digging in. So basically, despite being an asshole to him for no reason, Houston wants him to stay and thinks they can work things out.

It is an eternity until the season starts, but this is already ugly. I can see a holdout happening with Houston getting $.50 on the dollar. We have to see if Watson is willing to sacrifice some huge game checks in order to get out. Everyone has principles until it affects them financially.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #218 on: February 25, 2021, 02:58:39 pm »

ESPN is reporting that Houston is avodiing calls about Watson while DeShaun is digging in. So basically, despite being an asshole to him for no reason, Houston wants him to stay and thinks they can work things out.

It is an eternity until the season starts, but this is already ugly. I can see a holdout happening with Houston getting $.50 on the dollar. We have to see if Watson is willing to sacrifice some huge game checks in order to get out. Everyone has principles until it affects them financially.

Not sure why Houston thinks they can work things out with him.  They've already made some moves that he didn't like because they make his job more difficult.  That's not easy to forgive and forget.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #219 on: February 25, 2021, 03:14:54 pm »

Not sure why Houston thinks they can work things out with him.  They've already made some moves that he didn't like because they make his job more difficult.  That's not easy to forgive and forget.

Occam's Razor, the simplest explanation is often the right one. That explanation is that Texans ownership and management is absolutely braindead and have no idea what they are doing. They are basically being ran by a Life Coach right now. They gave us the moon for a LT and received peanuts in return for a Top 3 WR. The smart play is to trade him for a huge haul and start their desperately needed rebuild. I can see them being stubborn and ignoring all trade requests and then DeShaun starts no showing camp and games, forcing them to deal him for Two 1st rounders and a 2nd because teams willing to trade before are now set at QB.

I am enjoying this trainwreck, it will only get better if Russell Wilson is traded to remove another team off the list for DeShaun.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #220 on: February 25, 2021, 03:20:05 pm »

ESPN's Dan Graziano reports Deshaun Watson met with new Texans coach David Culley last Friday and "reiterated that he wants to be traded and told Culley he has no intention of playing for the Texans again."
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #221 on: February 26, 2021, 09:07:54 am »

Occam's Razor, the simplest explanation is often the right one. That explanation is that Texans ownership and management is absolutely braindead and have no idea what they are doing. They are basically being ran by a Life Coach right now. They gave us the moon for a LT and received peanuts in return for a Top 3 WR. The smart play is to trade him for a huge haul and start their desperately needed rebuild. I can see them being stubborn and ignoring all trade requests and then DeShaun starts no showing camp and games, forcing them to deal him for Two 1st rounders and a 2nd because teams willing to trade before are now set at QB.

I am enjoying this trainwreck, it will only get better if Russell Wilson is traded to remove another team off the list for DeShaun.
This will start to come to a head once the draft gets close. Something will either get done before the draft or it won't and Watson will be under contract with the Texans for this year. Whether he plays or not is another question completely.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #222 on: February 26, 2021, 09:56:14 am »

This will start to come to a head once the draft gets close. Something will either get done before the draft or it won't and Watson will be under contract with the Texans for this year. Whether he plays or not is another question completely.

Yeah, they are going to lose a ton of suitors after the draft if they don't trade him. We would be one of them as I imagine the Jets would be too. Once NY has Wilson or Fields, I don't see them turning over that day and trading them to Houston.

Watson makes a lot and I know he wants out, but is he really going to sit out training camp and the first 7 games and lose all that money? Think it would be something like $15 Million. That's a lot of money for principles.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #223 on: February 26, 2021, 10:46:32 am »

Watson signed his deal when he knew how messed up the team was. A Houston sports writer who has been there forever says no one inside the organization is saying they are even considering trading him and in fact might use him as an example moving forward. They really do need to improve their stability so it would be a great place to start as everyone is looking at them.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #224 on: February 26, 2021, 11:50:59 am »

Watson signed his deal when he knew how messed up the team was. A Houston sports writer who has been there forever says no one inside the organization is saying they are even considering trading him and in fact might use him as an example moving forward. They really do need to improve their stability so it would be a great place to start as everyone is looking at them.

It's going to come down to 1 of 2 things. 1) What offer is being left on their voicemail? 2) Is Watson willing to sacrifice a lot of money to sit out but play in the last 9-10 games so that it counts as a year off his contract?

Once the draft passes and no trade has been made, sititng out is the only play left.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray