Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:24:45 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  With the 3rd pick the Dolphins select DeVonta Smith
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: With the 3rd pick the Dolphins select DeVonta Smith  (Read 4083 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: January 12, 2021, 10:08:58 am »

It sure seemed like a foregone conclusion before the championship game but now it has actually become a life of it's own with most new organizations and fans assuming we will get him. He will be the upgraded version of Jarvis Landry in my opinion so I really hope this will come to fruition. Obviously he will need to bulk up but many players are in that same situation coming out of college so that's a non issue for me.

Thoughts on him ... Is he as good as advertised?

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 10:14:47 am »

It sure seemed like a foregone conclusion before the championship game but now it has actually become a life of it's own with most new organizations and fans assuming we will get him. He will be the upgraded version of Jarvis Landry in my opinion so I really hope this will come to fruition. Obviously he will need to bulk up but many players are in that same situation coming out of college so that's a non issue for me.

Thoughts on him ... Is he as good as advertised?
I'm not against taking Smith, but would rather take Sewell.  If we take Smith, I'd rather trade back with Cincy at #5 and get more draft picks, and draft Smith there.

Yes, he is as good as advertised.  Other than his big TD plays, he had an unbelievable, toe tapping sideline catch.  If he could gain 10-15lbs more muscle, he'd be perfect.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 10:30:00 am »

Zach Wilson is getting a lot of love these days meaning someone might be willing to trade up for either Wilson or Fields. And even though he sat out this season, you'd have to think Ja'Marr Chase is going in the top 10 as well. I have only seen highlight reels of Chase (2019) and Smith (2020), but either would seem like an awesome addition - Chase just had those extra pounds that Smith is missing. (Of course, I have no idea what kind of shape Chase is in.)

Unless you are really gung-ho on taking a quarterback, it seems like there are a  handful of top-5 worthy non-quarterbacks which you could still grab with a small trade-down.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 10:52:41 am »

Zach Wilson is getting a lot of love these days meaning someone might be willing to trade up for either Wilson or Fields. And even though he sat out this season, you'd have to think Ja'Marr Chase is going in the top 10 as well. I have only seen highlight reels of Chase (2019) and Smith (2020), but either would seem like an awesome addition - Chase just had those extra pounds that Smith is missing. (Of course, I have no idea what kind of shape Chase is in.)

Unless you are really gung-ho on taking a quarterback, it seems like there are a  handful of top-5 worthy non-quarterbacks which you could still grab with a small trade-down.
Chase is also slower than Smith.  Chase reminds me of Jarvis Landry a bit.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 11:18:12 am »

I'm not against taking Smith, but would rather take Sewell.  If we take Smith, I'd rather trade back with Cincy at #5 and get more draft picks, and draft Smith there.

Yes, he is as good as advertised.  Other than his big TD plays, he had an unbelievable, toe tapping sideline catch.  If he could gain 10-15lbs more muscle, he'd be perfect.

Agree 100% with this. Devonta makes Miami's passing game better. Sewell makes the entire offense better.

I do like Davonta though, and consider him the best WR in this class (sorry Chase).

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 11:25:19 am »

Agree 100% with this. Devonta makes Miami's passing game better. Sewell makes the entire offense better.

I do like Davonta though, and consider him the best WR in this class (sorry Chase).

My sentiments exactly.  I always say that you can never have too much talent on the OL or in the Defensive Backfield.  A superior offensive line with depth makes both the RB and QB much better and a superior defensive backfield creates coverage sacks and makes the entire defense much better.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 12:01:14 pm »

It all depends on what Cincy has to offer to move up two spots as to whether I'd trade down to #5 or not.  They want Sewell bad, and I can't blame them.  He's going to be a fixture at LT for years to come. 
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 05:57:24 pm »

I really hope they take Sewell, their offensive line could be set for the next ten years.  There are good WR's every year to pick from, not so much for offensive lineman.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 07:47:51 am »

I don't watch college ball, so I'm stuck with looking at highlight reels to compare players and that's not exactly ideal - plus I don't exactly consider myself an expert scout Wink.

Comparing DeVonta Smith and Ja'Marr Chase through that lens, though, it just seems like Chase is much more impressive. Smith is fast, but hands and adjustments will always look good on a highlight reel, almost by definition. What is obvious, though, is that Smith goes down the second he's touched. Chase doesn't. And while Smith is perhaps faster, Chase's highlight reel has plenty of "outrunning everyone" action and reports are that he clocked a 4.40 on the 40. Sure, Smith might do a 4.30-something, but Chase seems to have all the moves and the muscle to make plays. I would worry somewhat that Smith would have problems getting off the line in the NFL and with cornerbacks a lot faster, I would worry about him being effectively taken out of (some) games. There also seemed to be an overwhelming number of crossing routes on those highlight reels and even with the additional protections in place (compared to, say, 10 years ago), he's going to get drilled on those in the NFL.

What makes Smith a better prospect than Chase that I'm not seeing on the highlight reels? (Other than Chase sitting out the season, which is certainly a concern, IMHO.)
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 07:56:02 am »

I don't watch college ball, so I'm stuck with looking at highlight reels to compare players and that's not exactly ideal - plus I don't exactly consider myself an expert scout Wink.

Comparing DeVonta Smith and Ja'Marr Chase through that lens, though, it just seems like Chase is much more impressive. Smith is fast, but hands and adjustments will always look good on a highlight reel, almost by definition. What is obvious, though, is that Smith goes down the second he's touched. Chase doesn't. And while Smith is perhaps faster, Chase's highlight reel has plenty of "outrunning everyone" action and reports are that he clocked a 4.40 on the 40. Sure, Smith might do a 4.30-something, but Chase seems to have all the moves and the muscle to make plays. I would worry somewhat that Smith would have problems getting off the line in the NFL and with cornerbacks a lot faster, I would worry about him being effectively taken out of (some) games. There also seemed to be an overwhelming number of crossing routes on those highlight reels and even with the additional protections in place (compared to, say, 10 years ago), he's going to get drilled on those in the NFL.

What makes Smith a better prospect than Chase that I'm not seeing on the highlight reels? (Other than Chase sitting out the season, which is certainly a concern, IMHO.)
To me, they're pretty close...like #1WR and #1aWR.  Smith is faster, Chase is stronger.  Smith showed up big in huge games and won the Heisman as a WR, which is really rare while Chase sat out which probably hurt his draft stock slightly.  If Chase goes to the combine, a fast 40 time would be comforting because I've seen reports of him running more in the 4.5 forty range, where Smith is like you said in the 4.3 forty range.  Everything else is pretty even:  both have great hands, run good routes, are quick and agile, excellent body control and sideline awareness.  I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2021, 03:53:45 pm »

To me, they're pretty close...like #1WR and #1aWR.  Smith is faster, Chase is stronger.  Smith showed up big in huge games and won the Heisman as a WR, which is really rare while Chase sat out which probably hurt his draft stock slightly.  If Chase goes to the combine, a fast 40 time would be comforting because I've seen reports of him running more in the 4.5 forty range, where Smith is like you said in the 4.3 forty range.  Everything else is pretty even:  both have great hands, run good routes, are quick and agile, excellent body control and sideline awareness.  I don't think you can go wrong with either.

as long as we don't draft their families as well
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2021, 09:45:38 am »

as long as we don't draft their families as well
LMAO Fau ...  When it comes to Chase and Smith aren't we talking about two different positions? I mean ... wouldn't Chase take Parker's spot while Smith would play the slot? If true I think we need a slot receiver more than a wideout because we do have Parker when he's not hurt. We aren't getting much of anything out of the slot. 

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2021, 12:06:36 pm »

I say the odds are in favor of trading the pick right now. Bengals want Sowell, lots of other teams want a QB, be it Wilson or Fields. We honestly are going to have a bidding war and that is great for us and realistic, not just a fantasy trade scenario that we want to happen.

Trade back to 5 with Cincy and we can still probably get Smith. Trade back to 9 with Carolina and that isn't as likely but our trade package will be that much better.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2021, 12:24:00 pm »

I say the odds are in favor of trading the pick right now. Bengals want Sowell, lots of other teams want a QB, be it Wilson or Fields. We honestly are going to have a bidding war and that is great for us and realistic, not just a fantasy trade scenario that we want to happen.

Trade back to 5 with Cincy and we can still probably get Smith. Trade back to 9 with Carolina and that isn't as likely but our trade package will be that much better.

We might be able to do both and pick up a slew of picks.  Imagine having three first rounders in 2022.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2021, 12:44:32 pm »

We might be able to do both and pick up a slew of picks.  Imagine having three first rounders in 2022.

Getting that Bengals 1st rounder in 2022 plus whatever else in 2021 would be amazing since they are all but guaranteed a Top 10 pick next year too because the AFC North is a bloodbath. Similar with Carolina at 8th, their division is tough and a rookie QB won't take them to the playoffs. Whatever trade is made, it has to include making the 2021 better as the main priority and solidifying our "dominance" in 2022 as the secondary choice. Windows in the NFL are usually short and we already killed 2019 for 2020 and beyond, I only want to focus on next season now.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray