Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:03:23 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  With the 3rd pick the Dolphins select DeVonta Smith
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: With the 3rd pick the Dolphins select DeVonta Smith  (Read 4114 times)
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2021, 10:18:07 am »

You guys are probably going to think I'm crazy but I don't even think DeVonta Smith is the top WR in this draft.  Don't get me wrong, Smith is an outstanding receiver, fast, runs excellent routes, great hands, and by all accounts seems to be a hard worker with an excellent attitude.  The only knock I have on him is how thin he is and can he stand up to NFL physicality.  But I would draft Ja'Marr Chase ahead of him.  Chase sat out 2020 (covid precaution) and that is why I think people are overlooking him.  In 2019, he was probably the best WR in all of college football.  Runs just as fast as Smith, but weights 25 pounds more.  He did only have the one season of full time production at LSU compared to almost 3 full seasons of production for Smith at Alabama.  So that would be a vote in Smith's favor.  But if I  have to choose one or the other, I think I'm going Chase. 
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2021, 10:43:57 am »

Chase was the consensus Top WR until a few weeks ago, so I would honestly be fine with any of the Top 3. I don't think any of them will be busts. Trading down a few spots to net more picks and still grab one of them is the preferred plan for me.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2021, 12:57:58 pm »

IMO there are 3 elite WRs in this draft:  Smith, Chase and Waddle

If they reached their full potential and aren't busts:

Smith = Diggs

Chase = Jarvis Landry, but faster (Chase was clocked at 4.5 forty range, Landry is much slower at the 4.7 forty range.  Meaning, Chase could have all the skills Landry has plus he can actually get behind defenders, something Landry cannot do with regularity).

Waddle = Tyreek Hill
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2021, 02:50:25 pm »

I see them more as #1 (Smith), #1a (Chase) and a distant #3 (Waddle).  I am honestly not entirely sure I'd put Waddle at #3. He is fast, but I haven't seen much else from him in the 3-4 games I've seen him play. If I can count TEs as receivers, then I'd definitely take Pitts before Waddle.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2021, 03:09:40 pm »

I see them more as #1 (Smith), #1a (Chase) and a distant #3 (Waddle).  I am honestly not entirely sure I'd put Waddle at #3. He is fast, but I haven't seen much else from him in the 3-4 games I've seen him play. If I can count TEs as receivers, then I'd definitely take Pitts before Waddle.

Waddle is definitely behind those two but would he be an improvement over what we have now?
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2021, 03:23:37 pm »

Waddle is definitely behind those two but would he be an improvement over what we have now?

Oh yes, definitely...but so would Pitts, Rondale Moore (ultimate utility WR), Terrace Marshall and quite a few other WRs in this class.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2021, 01:28:35 pm »

To just momentarily stray from the #3 overall pick talk, I will go opposite end.  With the 31st pick of the 7th round, the Dolphins select Max Duffy, Punter, Univ. of Kentucky.  Haack is an unrestricted free agent and even though he is a pretty good Punter, why spend decent money on a Punter when you can get a 7th round rookie contract for Duffy who is probably the best Punter in college and going to be at least as good as Haack.  Provided nobody else drafts him.  I certainly wouldn't devote anything better than the 7th round on a Punter.  But for the next to the last pick in the entire draft, sure. 
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2021, 01:43:50 pm »

To just momentarily stray from the #3 overall pick talk, I will go opposite end.  With the 31st pick of the 7th round, the Dolphins select Max Duffy, Punter, Univ. of Kentucky.  Haack is an unrestricted free agent and even though he is a pretty good Punter, why spend decent money on a Punter when you can get a 7th round rookie contract for Duffy who is probably the best Punter in college and going to be at least as good as Haack.  Provided nobody else drafts him.  I certainly wouldn't devote anything better than the 7th round on a Punter.  But for the next to the last pick in the entire draft, sure. 

Haack was very good with pinning down the other team, he wasn't that great with booming kicks. I would stick with Haack if he isn't demaning any real money, go with the guy you know. Plus, he is good friends with Jason Sanders so that probably leads to good team chemistry.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2021, 04:34:46 pm »

If this team needs help on the interior line, I would suggest trading down from the 18th pick and drafting Creed Humphrey out of Oklahoma.  He's another Tim Ruddy type player but bigger and with a nastier disposition.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2021, 10:01:08 am »

If this team needs help on the interior line, I would suggest trading down from the 18th pick and drafting Creed Humphrey out of Oklahoma.  He's another Tim Ruddy type player but bigger and with a nastier disposition.

I love Creed Humphrey, and consider him the best interior OL and best OC in this class.  That said, this class is chock full of excellent interior lineman, and there are at least 4 centers that I would be completely happy with.

Also...I've done a number of mocks that has Creed going right around that #16-20 area, so not entirely sure Miami could get him after a trade-down like that. With Miami's needs at WR, OT and RB, I think I almost prefer to wait until round two, and then grabbing Landon Dickerson or Josh Myers.

Lots of talent in a lot of different need areas in this class...I just hope Miami hits on as many of their picks as possible.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 08:34:38 am by Sunstroke » Logged

~ Micah Leggat
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2021, 11:13:27 am »

I love Creed Smith, and consider him the best interior OL and best OC in this class.  That said, this class is chock full of excellent interior lineman, and there are at least 4 centers that I would be completely happy with.

Also...I've done a number of mocks that has Creed going right around that #16-20 area, so not entirely sure Miami could get him after a trade-down like that. With Miami's needs at WR, OT and RB, I think I almost prefer to wait until round two, and then grabbing Landon Dickerson or Josh Myers.

Lots of talent in a lot of different need areas in this class...I just hope Miami hits on as many of their picks as possible.

Considering therising costs of O-Linemen these days, I am fine with using more picks to address it if need be. Even if it means drafting Sewell and using our 18th and 36th picks to trade up and grab a WR.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2021, 06:18:28 pm »

I love Creed Smith, and consider him the best interior OL and best OC in this class.  That said, this class is chock full of excellent interior lineman, and there are at least 4 centers that I would be completely happy with.

I wouldn't mind grabbing Myers in the second round, but I'd take a hard pass on Dickerson.  A buddy of mine is an FSU fan who watched as Dickerson routinely got hurt while there.  He never completed a full season at FSU.  Then he transfers to Bama and suddenly he's gained some serious weight and playing lights out.  Then he gets hurt in the SEC Championship game (or was it the first round of the CFP, can't recall).  That tells me only one thing and it isn't worth the risk.  

Considering the rising costs of O-Linemen these days, I am fine with using more picks to address it if need be. Even if it means drafting Sewell and using our 18th and 36th picks to trade up and grab a WR.

I've looked at some more recent scouting reports and there's a couple other linemen out there that challenge Sewell's dominance.  Rashawn Slater (Northwestern) and Christian Darrisaw (VA Tech) are right there with him.  So while Cincy may be targeting Sewell, they may not be willing to trade draft capital to get him as they may be ok settling for one of those two.  That being said, if we do trade back to 5 with Cincy, we would pick up at least a second rounder.  Then we could draft Smith/Chase, then use two second round picks plus the #18 pick to trade back up and get a quality tackle.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 06:54:25 pm by ArtieChokePhin » Logged
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2021, 07:44:15 am »

I love Creed Smith, and consider him the best interior OL and best OC in this class.  That said, this class is chock full of excellent interior lineman, and there are at least 4 centers that I would be completely happy with.

I hope you are right and I'm wrong about the Centers coming out this year.  I'm a draft nerd like you and I really haven't ramped up my research yet for this year but I'm not terribly excited about the Centers in this draft.  I do like Hill from Georgia because I think he has a good balance of pass protection and creating holes for the run game.  But he needs to clean up a lot of his misfire snaps.   You are one of the few people on here who I always pay closer attention to because you bring your A Game to the board pretty much every day.  So I will gladly defer to you and I hope you are right. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray