Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:12:50 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Movie Review: Birds of Prey (2020)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: What did you think of Birds of Prey?
*****   -0 (0%)
****   -0 (0%)
***   -1 (33.3%)
**   -1 (33.3%)
*   -1 (33.3%)
I'd like to see it.   -0 (0%)
I'm not interested.   -0 (0%)
Total Voters: 3

Author Topic: Movie Review: Birds of Prey (2020)  (Read 786 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: January 18, 2021, 10:46:55 am »

Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (2020)

Premise: After her breakup with the notorious crime boss, Joker, a psychotic scorned lover finds that the protections from her previous beau no longer exist, and she has to navigate depression, bad blood and her own moral compass, as the mob closes in.

Rating: Quirky storytelling, meta-humor, unforgiving language and violence, and a unique voice elevate what would otherwise be shlocky material into a worthy entry into the superhero genre.

Birds of Prey takes a page from the Deadpool playbook.  Its language is over-the-top and the violence is brutal and played for laughs, and the timeline jumps back and forth.  Characters break the forth wall with voice-over.  Where Deadpool goes sarcastic, though, Harley Quinn is instead demented, unforgiving and damaged, while still retaining humanity and some level of compassion.  She straddles the line between lovable and horrific.  You can't help but root for her, though, as she's up against a bunch of toxic dudes.  Margot Robbie delivers a rock-star performance because this could've gone real cheesy, really fast.  It's a tough line to walk.  She pays homage to the animated Quinn, while still feeling real to this world.

I can't help but feel that this movie is a cross between the Joel Schumacher Batman films and John Wick.  The set-pieces are classic campy Batman (abandoned amusement parks, chemical plants) and the film doesn't shy away from the visual style and colors and Burton-esque style that you'd expect to see.  Normally that wouldn't work for me, but here, it's offset with brutal close-quarters, laugh inducing violence, which creates a unique juxtaposition.  One scene literally involves roller-skating to chase a giant diamond, almost exactly the same setup as in the awful Batman and Robin.  It's nuts that two scenes could so closely share a bad idea and come out completely differently.

Films that center around forming a team have a formula, and this is no different, as several femme fatales group to take down the big-bad boss, Roman Sionis (Black Mask), played by Ewan McGregor, in a way I've never seen.  But Birds of Prey seems to be in on its own absurdity, and makes fun of itself.  It mocks the 80s cop stereotype, the character that gives herself the stupid name, nostalgic references to previous material and the thief with the heart of gold trope.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this movie.  It's in the upper tier of the DCU films, just behind Wonder Woman and Man of Steel.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 06:23:14 pm by Dave Gray » Logged

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 12:46:58 pm »

Interesting take. You are the only person that didn't trash this movie to me.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 01:16:10 pm »

Interesting take. You are the only person that didn't trash this movie to me.
Me too. Based on Dave's review I'm likely to check it out now.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 11:46:00 am »

This was one of the worst movies I have ever seen, and I love comic books.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 02:27:07 pm »

This was one of the worst movies I have ever seen, and I love comic books.

I've "started" watching this movie twice now...haven't made it more than 10 minutes in before I was bored with it.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 03:36:31 pm »

I have an unexplainable attraction to weird looking chicks and have thought about watching this movie just to enjoy Margot Robbie decked out in her character.  If I didn't see the first movie, would I be completely confused by Birds of Prey or can I watch it as a stand alone film without having to go back and watch the first one?
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 04:49:12 pm »

The first what?   Suicide Squad, you mean?

It's not a sequel to anything.

Harley Quinn is Joker's ex-girlfriend.  You need to know that Joker is a crazy bad guy, but he's not in the movie....it helps if you're familiar with who Joker is.  That's it.  Everything else is fresh.  And even the Joker stuff is understandable even if you've never seen any Batman movies.

There are little Easter Eggs to other stuff, but that's just extra stuff for fun, like Harley's out outfits, other side characters who were in other movies and comics from the past.  ...but it's all pretty surface-level.

I drink your milkshake!
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 07:32:43 am »

Sorry, yeah, I was referring to Suicide Squad.  Thanks for the answer.  I think I'll tell the wife I want to watch Birds of Prey this weekend.  After she rolls her eyes because she will know I want to watch it solely to deposit the image of Harley Quinn in the spank bank for future use, we'll watch Birds of Prey. 
SlothVomit

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 09:30:24 am »

I'm in the same boat as Sunstroke. Me and my GF started this movie and less than 20 mins in had to turn it off. That's saying something when i can actually sit through the theatrical release of JL.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray