Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:51:59 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Hyde: He’s old, he’s the underdog, he showed up Belichick — how can’t you root f
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Hyde: He’s old, he’s the underdog, he showed up Belichick — how can’t you root f  (Read 4692 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: January 25, 2021, 09:05:44 am »

Being a hard core Florida boy Tampa is my second team. I also root for the Jags outside of against the Dolphins. I had already kind of moved passed being angry with Brady for our failings so when he went to Tampa I did not hate it. I know some Phin fans still hate him and I guess I understand but hating Tom at this point because we sucked seems odd to me. I always respect the greatest to play this game. Anyway ... Dave Hyde wrote an article on this subject.

Hyde: He’s old, he’s the underdog, he showed up Belichick — how can’t you root for Tom Brady this Super Bowl?
If you’re looking for a team to root for this Super Bowl — and Dolphins fans are for the 36th straight year — this one’s easy: Tom Brady’s Tampa Bay over Patrick Mahomes’ Kansas City. The Goat over the Kid. The star of the last 20 years over the star of the next 20.

Sure, it’s a little like rooting for Elon Musk to get richer, but this isn’t the New England Brady anymore. He made a mockery of this season of age, defenses and New England coach Bill Belichick. How can’t you get behind that? Even as Tampa Bay celebrated its win against Green Bay in Sunday’s NFC Championship, a photo-shopped image of Belichick’s grumpy face hit the internet atop Bernie Sanders’ slouching, socially popular body.

Belichick, smart as he is, successful has he’s been, must have the scowl on simmer with the rest of New England now. Belichick watched the ex-spouse succeed. What would sting his legacy more: Spygate, Deflategate or Brady winning a Super Bowl the year he leaves?

Brady bet on himself. That’s another reason to root for him. He bet on writing a better ending himself than New England provided. Who can’t appreciate him saying after Sunday’s game, “It’s been a great journey thus far.”

Finally, for any of us growing older – and it happens, look in the mirror – Brady has a chance to be the oldest winner in Super Bowl history. He’s 43. Patrick Mahomes’ dad is 50. Brady represents a chance to think the dimming of the light can be put off a little longer.

He rode Todd Bowles’ defense a lot Sunday, just as he did the previous win against New Orleans. But Brady also picked his spots to change the game. Just before half, Tampa Bay considered punting but kept Brady on the field for a fourth down near midfield.

He completed a 6-yard pass for a first down to Leonard Fournette. Eight seconds left now. Set up a field goal, right? Brady surprised Green Bay by throwing 39 yards to Scotty Miller for a touchdown and a 21-10 lead.

He then closed out the game in a manner Green Bay’s Aaron Rodgers didn’t. Rodgers wasn’t helped by coach Matt LeFleur kicking a field goal late in the game rather than go for a fourth-and-goal at the 8-yard line. Education can be painful sometimes, and LaFleur perhaps cost Rodgers a Super Bowl trip with that decision.

This time of year is harder on older quarterbacks. One week Brady helped retire Brees. This Sunday he helped sent Rodgers home to ponder a 1-4 record in NFC Championship games.

Now comes the risen star of Mahomes. In the AFC title game, Mahomes outclassed Buffalo’s Josh Allen, just as he’s done against everybody for the past few years. He now has the chance to be the first quarterback to win two rings by age 25.

“We’re going to try to run it back,’' Mahomes said, referring to winning the title last year at Hard Rock Stadium.

Tampa Bay becomes the first team to play the Super Bowl in its home stadium. That’s something the Dolphins always talked of doing.

“Home Super Bowl for the first time in NFL history puts a lot of cool things in perspective,’' Brady said. “Anytime you’re the first doing something, it’s usually a pretty good thing.”

Brady and the Bucs won’t be the pick. Not this game. Not against these Chiefs. So you can root for the underdog. He doesn’t need anyone to root for him anymore. He’s won more than anyone in football. And if he was still a Patriot, this Super Bowl would come with a repetitive eye-rolling quality.

But he’s a Buc.

He’s old.

He’s showed up Belichick.

The Chiefs might be the pick. But isn’t it easy to root for Brady this Super Bowl?

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-ss-prem-hyde-super-bowl-teams-20210125-s22xjxzeafehfjgwaa6kjxdgda-story.html
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 09:07:37 am by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 09:54:26 am »

I can never cheer for Brady... Go Chiefs!

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 09:59:49 am »

I no longer hate Tom Brady as I have grown to hate society more and they hate to see him win so Go Brady!
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 10:44:12 am »

I always thought him a cheater.  But after watching him take the losingest franchise in the NFL (and possibly all of pro sports) to a Super Bowl in their own backyard and doing it at an age when most guys are over the hill, I have to admit he really is that good
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 03:57:49 pm by ArtieChokePhin » Logged
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 11:16:27 am »

I don't like Brady for various reasons, but I like Jerry Rice even less.  Brady's continued success means that the last 49er I hear about - Rice in "Best NFL player ever" discussions" - goes away.  So while I'm not rooting for Brady, I'm also not really rooting against him.

However, if the Bills had beaten KC, I would definitely be rooting for Brady to rip out their hearts one last time.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 11:21:20 am »

I don't like Brady for various reasons, but I like Jerry Rice even less.  Brady's continued success means that the last 49er I hear about - Rice in "Best NFL player ever" discussions" - goes away.

You should probably talk to someone about your issues with the 49ers...that really can't be healthy.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 11:38:37 am »

I didn't realize anyone hated Jerry Rice.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 11:54:13 am »

Sunstroke, I have no idea what teams you dislike, so I can't even begin to draw an analogy for you.

CF, imagine if you lived near NYC, and for many years, the media widely considered Joe Namath to be the best QB of all time and Curtis Martin to be the best football player of all time.  How would you feel about the prospect of other players eliminating the mention of filthy stinking Jets from your NFL life?

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 12:27:52 pm »

Sunstroke, I have no idea what teams you dislike, so I can't even begin to draw an analogy for you.

The glaringly obvious reason for that is because I don't spend much (if any) time whining about the teams I don't like.

I have mentioned on a few occasions up here that I absolutely hate the Dallas Cowboys, mainly because of the whole "America's Team" horseshit.

I didn't realize anyone hated Jerry Rice.

People who had to watch him win and win and win...but was never able to celebrate any of it. They're the only ones...

~ Micah Leggat
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2021, 12:38:41 pm »

I don't think it is a coincidence that an avowed 49er fan is always the only person on this board calling me out for my obsessive hatred of the 49ers.  I doubt anyone else notices, even though I've had "Bay Area Niner-Hater" under my avatar since the day I signed up to this forum.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2021, 12:52:21 pm »

The glaringly obvious reason for that is because I don't spend much (if any) time whining about the teams I don't like.

I do.  I hate the teams I hate more than I love the teams I love.  At least historically, but I'm getting softer in my old age.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2021, 01:11:37 pm »

I don’t think Brady winning in anyway tarnishes the legacy of Bill “It is better to get rid of a player too early than too late” Belichick.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2021, 02:09:54 pm »

I don’t think Brady winning in anyway tarnishes the legacy of Bill “It is better to get rid of a player too early than too late” Belichick.
The biggest thing tarnishing BB's legacy to TB's is the fact Bill has 1 playoff win without Tom but Tom already has 3 without him and in less years. I dare say if BB doesn't make the playoffs again next year a lot of Patriot fans will turn on him.  
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 02:11:38 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2021, 02:10:28 pm »

I don't think it is a coincidence that an avowed 49er fan is always the only person on this board calling me out for my obsessive hatred of the 49ers.  I doubt anyone else notices, even though I've had "Bay Area Niner-Hater" under my avatar since the day I signed up to this forum.

Well, yes...and...duh!

~ Micah Leggat
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2021, 02:13:49 pm »

The biggest thing tarnishing BB's legacy to TB's is the fact Bill has 1 playoff win without Tom but Tom already has 3 without him and in less years. I dare say if BB doesn't make the playoffs again next year a lot of Patriot fans will turn on him.  
Speaking of the 49ers: Bill Walsh has zero playoff appearances without Joe Montana as a starter.  I don't know that Walsh's legacy is affected by it.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 02:16:01 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray