Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:06:18 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  What is a misconception about your job?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: What is a misconception about your job?  (Read 2306 times)
BoSoxGrl
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Yes, It's real.

479075719 BoSoxGrl577 BoSoxGrl577
Email
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2021, 10:04:06 pm »

^^^ I worked in sales for a year and did ok but it wasn't for me. Really hated cold calling. I think you are either a sales person or you aren't. It's a tough job but if you're decent at it you can make some serious money.

Thanks for that.  I was sure I'd get bashed for posting so I appreciate it.
I will say, I am pretty savvy with social media and that helps me out a great deal because I don't think prior to the advent of things like Facebook and Instagram I would ever have the stones to just call someone and say "Hey, want me to make your house smell good?!?!"   Now it's fairly easy for me to just post a picture and people just want what I have. Yay technology! (obviously i do more than that, but you get the idea)

Hey, Any team can have a bad century.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2021, 12:23:48 am »

Hi!  I haven't been on in a long time but I feel compelled to share. 
I am one of "those people" who work in Direct Sales.  A common misconception I get is that it is a scam and not a "real" job.  There are plenty of people who join my company or any other DS company in general and don't make millions of dollars.  I see it all the time and I look back and I see that they all have one thing in common:  they don't treat it like a business, don't work like it's a business and then lo and behold, they fall out and that's that.
Then there's me.
I have an office, I have office hours, I work HARD, I've built and entire little empire and I make more money now than I ever did in a "real job."  I get that not everyone "gets" what I do, but I assure you, my job is very, very real.
7 years since your last post!  Don't be a stranger.

My first job was in commissioned sales and I hated it (well, I hated the work).  My experience was that it definitely takes a certain type of aggression to excel (read: climb the ladder) in sales, but I'm sure many people are able to make good money in sales while maintaining a good work/life balance.

One of the reasons I like working in support (vs. sales) is that I always felt that in sales, I wanted something from the customer (a purchase), while in support, the customer wants something from me (to fix their problem).  I never liked that perceived power imbalance.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2021, 05:43:32 pm »

7 years since your last post!  Don't be a stranger.

Unrelated, I haven't seen any posts from DaLittle B in a while hope he's okay: I always like his point of view and comments.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2021, 05:46:21 pm »

Hi!  I haven't been on in a long time but I feel compelled to share. 
I am one of "those people" who work in Direct Sales.  A common misconception I get is that it is a scam and not a "real" job.  There are plenty of people who join my company or any other DS company in general and don't make millions of dollars.  I see it all the time and I look back and I see that they all have one thing in common:  they don't treat it like a business, don't work like it's a business and then lo and behold, they fall out and that's that.
Then there's me.
I have an office, I have office hours, I work HARD, I've built and entire little empire and I make more money now than I ever did in a "real job."  I get that not everyone "gets" what I do, but I assure you, my job is very, very real.

I think of DS as a tough job, you have to have the right personality to sell.  Not to mention you have to have a good product that you believe in; and with the internet I'm sure having a large network for referrals helps.
BoSoxGrl
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Yes, It's real.

479075719 BoSoxGrl577 BoSoxGrl577
Email
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2021, 08:06:19 pm »

I think of DS as a tough job, you have to have the right personality to sell.  Not to mention you have to have a good product that you believe in; and with the internet I'm sure having a large network for referrals helps.

Thanks, I like to think I am pretty decent as a person  Cheesy  .  My products are pretty amazing and YES< having the interwebs helps  a billion times more thank when I can remember my mom doing avon or tupperware parties!

Hey, Any team can have a bad century.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2021, 08:49:21 am »

Unrelated, I haven't seen any posts from DaLittle B in a while hope he's okay: I always like his point of view and comments.

I follow him on Twitter, and Lil_B, the Redneck Phins Phan from Missouri and co-host of the critically acclaimed and award-winning "The Dolphins Make Me Cry Saturday Night!!" radio show seems to be doing fine.

I wish he was still up here more as well...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2021, 03:17:47 pm »

I follow him on Twitter, and Lil_B, the Redneck Phins Phan from Missouri and co-host of the critically acclaimed and award-winning "The Dolphins Make Me Cry Saturday Night!!" radio show seems to be doing fine.

I wish he was still up here more as well...

Good to hear about B. I miss that show.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray