Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:45:27 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  This is why we need less cops and more social workers
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: This is why we need less cops and more social workers  (Read 5143 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2021, 11:34:49 am »

There's also the argument that even if you wanted to speak up, the organization's internal power structure doesn't allow for it.  So, maybe it's better to rebuild that structure.

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2021, 12:45:50 pm »

Trying to bully people into your moral belief system is far from a good thing

Not to sound like a broken record, but you really need to repair or get a new moral compass. You see, Pond, someone macing a child isn't a matter of a moral belief system, it is a matter of wrong vs right.

To quote a semi-wise young poet, who once said "We are born with the natural ability to recognize right from wrong. Heeding that recognition is where people too-often go wrong."

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2021, 01:26:15 pm »

Not to sound like a broken record, but you really need to repair or get a new moral compass. You see, Pond, someone macing a child isn't a matter of a moral belief system, it is a matter of wrong vs right.

To quote a semi-wise young poet, who once said "We are born with the natural ability to recognize right from wrong. Heeding that recognition is where people too-often go wrong."

Again, a simple dictionary search would help your comprehension. A person's moral belief system literally means their personal view of right vs wrong. It means the same damn thing.

mor·al
adjective
concerned with the principles of right and wrong behavior and the goodness or badness of human character.

Anyhow, I think you know I'm not talking about macing a child. I'm talking about trying to shame all of the officers not involved in the incident to form some sort of social justice protest. If they want to get speak out and get involved, then fine. If they don't, that's their choice. That doesn't make them horrible people. Funny how this whole society has turned into "if you don't agree with me, you're bad".

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2021, 01:38:56 pm »

Anyhow, I think you know I'm not talking about macing a child. I'm talking about trying to shame all of the officers not involved in the incident to form some sort of social justice protest. If they want to get speak out and get involved, then fine. If they don't, that's their choice. That doesn't make them horrible people. Funny how this whole society has turned into "if you don't agree with me, you're bad".

My stance is simply this.  Police have two choices.  Take stance against these problems and fix them.  Or we will pass laws to fix the problems without you.  Either the police can fix the problems themselves or people who have never been in law enforcement will be writing the laws.Police have chosen against option one..  So I don’t care how much they cry that they view they are being treated unfairly or something won’t work. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2021, 02:13:35 pm »

Again, a simple dictionary search would help your comprehension. A person's moral belief system literally means their personal view of right vs wrong. It means the same damn thing.

One of us has a reading comprehension issue, and the other one of us was a published writer at the age of 4 and a copy editor for over a decade.

Right vs Wrong isn't a belief system...it is right vs wrong.

Learn it, know it, live it...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2021, 03:19:59 pm »

One of us has a reading comprehension issue, and the other one of us was a published writer at the age of 4 and a copy editor for over a decade.

Right vs Wrong isn't a belief system...it is right vs wrong.

Learn it, know it, live it...

It most certainly is. Everyone has their own beliefs about what is right or wrong in life. In other words, their moral belief system. Quit with the word spaghetti Mr. big shot 4 year old Pulitzer Prize winner.   

Is abortion right or wrong? Is religion right or wrong?

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2021, 05:15:49 pm »

There are certain absolutes:

Macing someone in handcuffs is evil.

Lying to parents and children that you ate taking their children to the showers and then the children disappearing forever is evil.

Honoring a legacy of slavery is evil.

Honoring Nazism is evil.

Inciting a mob to attempt to kill your political opponents to overthrow an election is evil.

Claiming forest fires are caused by a Jewish Space laser is evil. 

Harassing victims of violent crimes and lying that it was staged is evil.

Lying about the election to undermine the election is evil.

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2021, 07:52:32 pm »

There are certain absolutes:

Lying to parents and children that you ate taking their children to the showers and then the children disappearing forever is evil.

Honoring a legacy of slavery is evil.

Honoring Nazism is evil.

Inciting a mob to attempt to kill your political opponents to overthrow an election is evil.

Claiming forest fires are caused by a Jewish Space laser is evil. 

Harassing victims of violent crimes and lying that it was staged is evil.

Lying about the election to undermine the election is evil.
Does not revolting against the wrongs of the world make you evil if you weren't involved in the evil? That's the question. So for sake of arguement let's say the officers that maced the kid in handcuffs are evil. The other officers on the force were not involved in the macing incident. How are they evil? 

There are plenty of evil things on this planet, most of them are subjective. Do you revolt against all of them? Half of the country thinks abortion is evil. Do you revolt against it? If not, are you evil too?

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2021, 08:27:08 pm »

You have an agenda and the people opposite of you have an agenda. The problem is that you're trying to pressure and intimidate people do what you want them to do through ridicule and mockery. Trying to bully people into your moral belief system is far from a good thing
The thing you are describing is called "politics," where one tries to enforce one's personal belief system on the greater society.  I do this, you do this, we all do this.  Any attempt to advocate for (or against) a change in policy is necessarily trying to "bully people into your moral belief system."

Does not revolting against the wrongs of the world make you evil if you weren't involved in the evil? That's the question. So for sake of arguement let's say the officers that maced the kid in handcuffs are evil. The other officers on the force were not involved in the macing incident. How are they evil?
The officers involved are represented by their union; the union acts on their behalf.  If their union leadership acts to protect these bad apples, and the union members continues to support the leadership, they are complicit.

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2021, 10:43:31 pm »

It most certainly is. Everyone has their own beliefs about what is right or wrong in life. In other words, their moral belief system. Quit with the word spaghetti Mr. big shot 4 year old Pulitzer Prize winner.   

Morality is the concern of right vs wrong. a moral belief system is the structure that provides the source for that morality.

To answer your question, a moral belief system rooted in a religion is wrong. (with perhaps 1 exception) but is religion itself wrong . .again that depends on the religion.  Is a hammer right or wrong ? it depends on how you use the hammer.

Abortion is an unfortunate side-effect of someone deciding they would not like to remain pregnant. Whether someone can force someone else to be pregnant or not seems to be to be the moral question.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2021, 10:46:02 pm »

anyways, back on topic .. this isn't a crazy hard thing to solve .. get rid of the war on drugs.. decriminalize the use and possession of these drugs for personal use and you'll see the need for bloated police forces start going down.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2021, 08:42:36 am »

Reading comprehension, indeed... We aren't talking about abortion, or religion.

We were talking about macing a small child.

Now, we're not...

Exactly!

Unless you believe it isn't, of course, in which case, good and evil becomes a hazy belief system. Ask Pond...he'll tell you...about something else.

~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2021, 03:11:31 pm »

Once we start ending up with some dead social workers what are we going to do?  Mentally ill people are some of the most dangerous people that cops come across because they are unpredictable, and can be violent towards themselves, other citizens, or the police.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/02/06/denver-sent-mental-health-help-not-police-hundreds-calls/4421364001/

Hundreds of calls, zero dead social workers. We need more of this.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2021, 05:10:03 pm »

Looks like sending people specifically trained to work with people suffering mental health issues produces better - and safer! - results than sending a guy (with handcuffs and a gun) specifically trained to enforce compliance.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2021, 05:19:06 pm »

I think that's great. I question some of the calls from other stories I've read but obviously this is helpful to both public and police. 3% of the calls isn't like they are pushing police out.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray