Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:31:06 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Carson Wentz Likely to be Traded
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Carson Wentz Likely to be Traded  (Read 1905 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« on: February 05, 2021, 10:16:32 pm »

This is a crazy offseason and it barely started. Now the Eagles look likely to trade Carson, despite an insane $33.8 Million dead cap hit. The GM is looking for multiple first rounders but that's just posturing since Wentz was perhaps the worst QB in the league last year.

In the end, they would be lucky to get a 2022 1st rounder for him. His salary is too high compared to his production.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 11:48:25 pm »

You're going to see a mess of QBs changing teams this offseason.  After the success Brady and Manning had, everyone will try to copy that way to build a contender quickly.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 03:45:30 pm »

Now it's being reported he could be traded as early as Tuesday. GM is only asking for a 1st round pick back. Philly would take on the largest dead cap number in NFL history so I imagine 2021 will be a pseudo rebuild year.

I don't know what the cap number will be for the team taking Carson on, NFL contracts and numbers are always bizarre.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 12:12:00 am »

Now it's being reported he could be traded as early as Tuesday. GM is only asking for a 1st round pick back. Philly would take on the largest dead cap number in NFL history so I imagine 2021 will be a pseudo rebuild year.

I don't know what the cap number will be for the team taking Carson on, NFL contracts and numbers are always bizarre.

Wentz for Watson straight up would not suprise me.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 02:08:06 am »

Wentz for Watson straight up would not suprise me.
Why would HOU trade Watson to PHI and get Wentz in exchange, when they could trade him to any number of teams for a better QB + picks?

TEN, LV, MIN, ATL, SF, and MIA are all better trade candidates than PHI.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 11:16:59 am »

I've never thought Wentz was really that great.  He's decent, but not any wheres near elite.  It was Foles that came in when Wentz would get hurt and really carry the team.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 11:58:22 am »

I've never thought Wentz was really that great.  He's decent, but not any wheres near elite.  It was Foles that came in when Wentz would get hurt and really carry the team.

He has talent but he was the worst QB in the NFL this year so combined with his contract, I don't know how high the price will be. That being said, if you can take a chance on him for a 2nd rounder AND he can be cut after a year without cap issues, he is worth a shot.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 03:58:56 pm »

Why would HOU trade Watson to PHI and get Wentz in exchange, when they could trade him to any number of teams for a better QB + picks?

TEN, LV, MIN, ATL, SF, and MIA are all better trade candidates than PHI.

Keep in mind that Watson has a no trade clause.  He can void any trade.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2021, 08:35:19 am »

Keep in mind that Watson has a no trade clause.  He can void any trade.

Yeah, but it's likely at this point that he just goes to almost any team because he hates Houston so much. Not just that, but if he plays hardball and only wnats a team like Miami, Houston can call his bluff and play him. He can sit out 7 games and still have a credited contract year but that's money he is losing and Houston might let him. They are REALLY bad at running a football team.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2021, 03:47:58 pm »

Teams are saying the asking price is ridiculous and it's similar to what the Lions got for Stafford. Difference being, Stafford played well last year and that extra 1st rounder was so they would take back Goff. Jared was not a prized asset, he was a throwaway.

Either their GM is dumb or he is just doing this to fuck with Wentz and show him that no one wants him.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2021, 11:05:35 pm »

It's looking like Carson wants to go to Indy, but who knows whether Indy wants to give up what Philly will want.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2021, 07:47:27 am »

I think that just like teams overreach at the QB position in the draft, they also overpay for veteran QBs in trades.  Especially veteran QB's who have had at least some decent amount of success in the past.  It is just the nature of the position of QB.  They are important enough that teams are willing to overpay for them.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2021, 08:43:01 am »

I think that just like teams overreach at the QB position in the draft, they also overpay for veteran QBs in trades.  Especially veteran QB's who have had at least some decent amount of success in the past.  It is just the nature of the position of QB.  They are important enough that teams are willing to overpay for them.

If you are a solid team but need a QB, I can understand the overpayment. Colts almost won the division with Rivers last year, Bucs won the damn Superbowl with Brady. I just don't think a team like Carolina should trade a lot of picks and assets for a guy like Stafford or Wentz since they aren't close to contending.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2021, 09:36:55 am »

If you are a solid team but need a QB, I can understand the overpayment. Colts almost won the division with Rivers last year, Bucs won the damn Superbowl with Brady. I just don't think a team like Carolina should trade a lot of picks and assets for a guy like Stafford or Wentz since they aren't close to contending.

I don't disagree with you.  I was speaking more in general than for specific scenarios.  But I agree that if a team is already solid, excellent defense and an OL that protects the QB well then I would be much more willing to overpay for a QB than I would in a situation like you described with Carolina.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2021, 01:30:41 pm »

Colts have offered two 2nd round picks for Wentz and it's by far the best offer for him so far. No one else is even offering a late 1st rounder. If Philly honestly wants to trade him, they need to come back to reality. They aren't getting what the Lions got for Stafford, which was basically a 1st rounder for the QB and an additional 1st rounder to take Goff and his contract.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray