Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:43:03 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  One of the Worst Articles I Have Ever Read
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: One of the Worst Articles I Have Ever Read  (Read 1652 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« on: February 17, 2021, 04:38:26 pm »

https://www.thephinsider.com/2021/2/17/22287908/miami-dolphins-xavien-howard-contract-resign-byron-jones

He is saying we should resign Xavier Howard and pay him more because salaries for cornerbacks have skyrocketed in the past 2 years. Xavier is under contract through 2024 at a salary that was the largest for a CB at the time. Why would we give him more money? Why would we set a precedent that players can renegotiate their contracts a year or two after signing them?

Other than making Howard happy, what benefit is it to Miami? Let's not forget, Xavier has missed a good amount of time and just had a large off the field issue. He was the best CB this year, but who says he doesn't play only 7 games next year? Renegotiating for more guaranteed money as he enters his 30s? Seems like terrible business to me.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 05:20:19 pm »

Hate to break it to you but I believe he will hold out this year to capitalize on last year's stats. I've heard several talking heads say they expect it so I have to believe it's been discussed with his agent.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 05:42:05 pm »

https://www.thephinsider.com/2021/2/17/22287908/miami-dolphins-xavien-howard-contract-resign-byron-jones

He is saying we should resign Xavier Howard and pay him more because salaries for cornerbacks have skyrocketed in the past 2 years. Xavier is under contract through 2024 at a salary that was the largest for a CB at the time. Why would we give him more money? Why would we set a precedent that players can renegotiate their contracts a year or two after signing them?

Other than making Howard happy, what benefit is it to Miami? Let's not forget, Xavier has missed a good amount of time and just had a large off the field issue. He was the best CB this year, but who says he doesn't play only 7 games next year? Renegotiating for more guaranteed money as he enters his 30s? Seems like terrible business to me.

In realistic terms his contract is really up at the end of the 2021 season because 2021 is the last year of guaranteed money, and no player of his caliber (or even lesser players) is going to step on the practice field without guaranteed money.  So I could understand him wanting to push to rework his contract his year since he had a stellar season last year, and if he gets hurt this year he could be released for next year with no income.  Not that I think Miami should necessarily redo his contract, but...trading him for a couple #1 picks isn't a bad idea either.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 09:51:23 pm »

Hate to break it to you but I believe he will hold out this year to capitalize on last year's stats. I've heard several talking heads say they expect it so I have to believe it's been discussed with his agent.

Xavien better be careful with this strategy. He's contracted to 2024 on a fat deal already and was arguably overpaid up until last year - regardless of his impressive 2020, I doubt Grier and Flores would put up with him sitting out for more money.

Minkah was traded away for not being a team player, and likewise Howard could easily himself on a plane to anywhere that pays us the right draft picks to flip him. Like Detroit - how happy would he be winding up there? It's not like it's the first time our team MVP has wound up in other colors the very next season either - Ajayi & Suh most recently.

Plus throwing in another first found draft pick (or two) could bring Patrick Surtain II into draft day calculations. Instant replacement (albeit a rookie).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 10:13:49 pm by Downunder Dolphan » Logged
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 10:34:01 pm »

Xavien better be careful with this strategy. He's contracted to 2024 on a fat deal already and was arguably overpaid up until last year - regardless of his impressive 2020, I doubt Grier and Flores would put up with him sitting out for more money.

Minkah was traded away for not being a team player, and likewise Howard could easily himself on a plane to anywhere that pays us the right draft picks to flip him. Like Detroit - how happy would he be winding up there? It's not like it's the first time our team MVP has wound up in other colors the very next season either - Ajayi & Suh most recently.

Plus throwing in another first found draft pick (or two) could bring Patrick Surtain II into draft day calculations. Instant replacement (albeit a rookie).

I'd love me some Patrick Surtain II!!!!   If he can be what his father was (and he will likely be better), than one side of the field will be locked down for a while.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 08:00:37 am »

Howard's contract is fine as is.  If he wants to hold out, I'm okay with trading him, we could easily get a 1st rounder for him. 
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 08:49:47 am »

In realistic terms his contract is really up at the end of the 2021 season because 2021 is the last year of guaranteed money, and no player of his caliber (or even lesser players) is going to step on the practice field without guaranteed money.  So I could understand him wanting to push to rework his contract his year since he had a stellar season last year, and if he gets hurt this year he could be released for next year with no income.  Not that I think Miami should necessarily redo his contract, but...trading him for a couple #1 picks isn't a bad idea either.

I am absolutely fine with that, not that he wasn't the best in 2020, but he has an injury and off field history. Not to mention the bad precedent it sets that we redo contracts every 2 years. I wouldn't trade him for anything less than 2 first rounders and maybe a 2nd or 3rd though, we are dealing from a position of strength and maybe him wanting to hold out is just rumors anyway.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 09:09:41 am »

https://www.thephinsider.com/the-splash-zone-miami-dolphins-news/2021/2/22/22294339/the-splash-zone-2-22-21-xavien-howard-on-additional-names-list-miami-dolphins-damarius-bilbo

Bit concerning here in that Howard is loosely involved in a shooting involving his former agent, a case he has refused to be interviewed for by the local PD. Now, this is America and we are innocent until proven guilty, but in the court of public opinion we can make judgements and this doesn't look good for him. The shooting was in June and he fired his agent in October.

Instead of extending, maybe it is time we sell high.

ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 04:08:03 pm »

https://www.thephinsider.com/the-splash-zone-miami-dolphins-news/2021/2/22/22294339/the-splash-zone-2-22-21-xavien-howard-on-additional-names-list-miami-dolphins-damarius-bilbo

Bit concerning here in that Howard is loosely involved in a shooting involving his former agent, a case he has refused to be interviewed for by the local PD. Now, this is America and we are innocent until proven guilty, but in the court of public opinion we can make judgements and this doesn't look good for him. The shooting was in June and he fired his agent in October.

Instead of extending, maybe it is time we sell high.

Loosely involved?   Either he was involved or he wasn't.  This has definitely raised some red flags. 
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 04:13:53 pm »

His name was listed as someone to question and he is refusing, so we have no idea whether he was involved or not but not talking to the cops in a case like this doesn't look great. It is his right, for now, but that doesn't instill confidence into his innocence.

Xavier isn't like you or I, we can't afford the best attorneys in the country so if he is innocent, he should put this to bed so it won't linger.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2021, 04:53:05 pm »

They closed the case today so unless some evidence pops up showing him involved he's in the clear. As it stands he only knows some of the people involved.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2021, 05:07:46 pm »

They closed the case today so unless some evidence pops up showing him involved he's in the clear. As it stands he only knows some of the people involved.

Good to hear but he shouldn't know anyone involved but his agent, who he bizarrely fired a few months later. I still think it might be time to sell high.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2021, 05:28:30 pm »

Good to hear but he shouldn't know anyone involved but his agent, who he bizarrely fired a few months later. I still think it might be time to sell high.
LOL ... I'm betting many if not most of NFL players are friends with a few thugs from back in the day. Very few Ivy leaguers in the NFL.

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2021, 05:53:37 pm »

His name was listed as someone to question and he is refusing, so we have no idea whether he was involved or not but not talking to the cops in a case like this doesn't look great. It is his right, for now, but that doesn't instill confidence into his innocence.

It is however what you SHOULD do .. you should never talk to police unless you have no other choice, and even then you should let your lawyer talk to the police. It is your right to say nothing and not enough people take it.

If you don't believe me, here's a law professor telling students they should never talk to the police, or that their clients should never talk to the police, and that's followed by a police officer telling them the same thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7o9xYp7eE
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2021, 06:05:33 pm »

It is however what you SHOULD do .. you should never talk to police unless you have no other choice, and even then you should let your lawyer talk to the police. It is your right to say nothing and not enough people take it.

If you don't believe me, here's a law professor telling students they should never talk to the police, or that their clients should never talk to the police, and that's followed by a police officer telling them the same thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7o9xYp7eE

Oh, trust me, I know 100% not to talk to the cops without an attorney. I'm just saying that as a public figure that Xavier is, if he had absolutely nothing to do with anything, get your high priced lawyer to setup a small meeting and get it cleared so that the media can move on. With you and I, tell them to fuck off without a warrant, but ESPN isn't exactly interested in us being interviewed.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray