Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:25:00 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Fernando Tatis 14 Year/$340 Million Extension
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Fernando Tatis 14 Year/$340 Million Extension  (Read 1852 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« on: February 18, 2021, 09:27:11 am »

This is a very interesting deal. Tatis has done very well on the field so far, but has only played in 143 games due to the shortened season and being called up in the middle of 2019. This is the longest deal in MLB history and I think 3rd largest money wise.

Tatis will take the money to ensure he has a very comfortable future and injuries won't be able to take that away from him. That being said, this comes out to around $24.3 Million a year. Certainly not poverty wages, but let's say in 2026 he has 2 MVPs to his name, how will he feel being the 60th highest paid player in MLB and knowing he will only drop down that list further as time goes on? I just don't see Fernando being happy with this deal in 5 years if he continues to play the way he has been.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 11:11:55 am »

As the board's resident Padres fanatic, I jumped for joy at this extension. I don't give two plump shits about the money, I just want my Padres to have enough talent on the roster to give the Evil Blue (Dodgers) a good fight.

Within 5 years, this contract will be cheap...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 12:01:51 pm »

As the board's resident Padres fanatic, I jumped for joy at this extension. I don't give two plump shits about the money, I just want my Padres to have enough talent on the roster to give the Evil Blue (Dodgers) a good fight.

Within 5 years, this contract will be cheap...

I like the moves the Padres are doing, one of the few teams that isn't applying for welfare and focused on building a winner. From the team's standpoint, it's a risky deal if he starts getting hit with injuries, but an absolute bargain if he fulfills his potential. I'm just curious as to how Tatis will feel if he is the superstar they think he is and he isn't even in the Top 50 of salaries. I don't think he can redo the contract like in the NFL but you don't want the face of your franchise to be unhappy either.

Regardless, I hope the Padres take the NL this year for putting wins above profits.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 08:48:53 pm »

This is a very interesting deal. Tatis has done very well on the field so far, but has only played in 143 games due to the shortened season and being called up in the middle of 2019. This is the longest deal in MLB history and I think 3rd largest money wise.

Well only if you exclude Bobby Bonilla's contract from the Mets.  He hasn't played since 2001, yet the Mets pay him $1.19 Million every July 1st, and will continue to pay him until he turns 72 in 2035.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 07:08:15 am »

Well only if you exclude Bobby Bonilla's contract from the Mets.  He hasn't played since 2001, yet the Mets pay him $1.19 Million every July 1st, and will continue to pay him until he turns 72 in 2035.

Both Bobby's and Fernando's deals will end in 2035, which is simply outstanding.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 02:29:47 pm »

Deferred payments are a good thing and should be considered by every professional athlete in all major sports.   Ever see ESPN 30 for 30- Broke?   Bobby Bonilla will not fall into that category. 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray