Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:18:16 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Trading out of the #3 spot
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Trading out of the #3 spot  (Read 2022 times)
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« on: February 18, 2021, 10:13:44 am »

A buddy of mine posted this article on Phinfever.  It's worth a read. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-draft-what-past-decade-says-about-moving-up-for-a-quarterback-plus-some-trade-hypotheticals/

I'm surprised they didn't include Cincy in this article but of the five scenarios, I would say a trade with Atlanta works best.  More than likely, they will grab Zach Wilson at QB to eventually replace Matt Ryan, and we can still get Smith or Chase at #4 and pick up two second rounders.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 10:23:47 am »

The article doesn't really address who we want to draft and that has to factor into the cost. We want to draft either the best WR or best OT. If we move back to 8th, we won't do either so there will be a cost attached to that and it ain't:

Dolphins receive: No. 8 overall, 2021 seventh-round pick, 2022 first-round pick*, 2022 third-round pick*
Panthers receive: No. 3 overall, 2021 fourth-round pick

We're not missing out on the best WR or OT for a 2022 1st and 3rd while we give up a 2021 4th. The cost would be lower for the Falcons since we probably still get our pick of OT and WR, but not the Panthers.

Ideally, if we are set on WR, trade down with the Falcons and then trade down with the Bengals. Let them have Sewell and we pick up a bunch of 2nd rounders from both. Not to mention, there is a bidding war for our pick because many teams want a QB, so that will inflate the price. I'm not trying to say we are going to walk away with 23 1st rounders but we won't be missing out on our top choice for 2022 2nd rounders.
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 11:23:56 am »

Keep #3 and # 18 please.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 11:54:49 am »

Keep #3 and # 18 please.

The picks don't mean anything, it's what we are getting with them, whether it would the top WR or OL or trading them a bit for more players that helpfully provide quality and depth. I wouldn't be happy with trading down to 8th for 2022 picks but I would be okay with trading down to 5, getting our Top WR and more good draft picks.

It's very hard for us to lose in this situation. Not impossible, but tough.
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 12:07:22 pm »

The way I feel about is the Dolphins gave up some good players to get that third pick. Don't squander it. Go out and get the best WR or OL. You're not getting the very best of anything if you move down.

Bibamus, moriendum est

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 12:22:01 pm »

The way I feel about is the Dolphins gave up some good players to get that third pick. Don't squander it. Go out and get the best WR or OL. You're not getting the very best of anything if you move down.

I definitely hear what you're saying but it also comes down to trade partners and a bit of luck. If we trade down to 6 and get a 2022 1st rounder out of it, plus more in 2021, we can still get 1 of the top 2 WRs and then we do an "Eagles Draft Pick Watch". This is not a good team and with the dead money they are taking on, it's quite possible this will be a Top 10 pick. Now, is that worth the risk and is the 2022 draft good enough where the #8 pick makes it worth our while? Can't say but I don't want to hurt the 2021 team just to have draft picks in 2022. Any trade we made has to leave us in a position where we are still going good for this season as the primary focus. I don't want to trade any lower than 8th and that's only if we can still get a Top 3 WR.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 04:03:41 pm »

The article doesn't really address who we want to draft and that has to factor into the cost. We want to draft either the best WR or best OT.
From what I'm hearing the OT thing is a no go for the Dolphins. We've spent the last couple of years drafting people who do not score TDs so this draft will be heavily into offensive weapons. Supposedly we missed out on 3 RBs last year because they didn't fall as far as we thought they would.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 04:14:52 pm »

From what I'm hearing the OT thing is a no go for the Dolphins. We've spent the last couple of years drafting people who do not score TDs so this draft will be heavily into offensive weapons. Supposedly we missed out on 3 RBs last year because they didn't fall as far as we thought they would.

I think it's a longshot we draft Sewell but you never know. As far as last year's draft goes, we took a few projects in the 1st round. Jackson made sense and did okay but Noah at CB seems like a big miss and not worthy of the pick. We definitely should've drafted a RB but with how the O-Line mostly blocked instead of opening up holes, would it have mattered? No one ran for anything until the last 4 games.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 08:30:08 pm »

From what I'm hearing the OT thing is a no go for the Dolphins.

That's a smokescreen.  The Dolphins WILL be drafting Sewell.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2021, 08:08:01 am »

I am of the opinion that you have a better chance at drafting an impact player drafting two second rounders than one first rounder so I always favor drafting down for more picks.  This year with no combine, less prodays etc, I think moreso.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2021, 10:30:28 am »

I am of the opinion that you have a better chance at drafting an impact player drafting two second rounders than one first rounder so I always favor drafting down for more picks.  This year with no combine, less prodays etc, I think moreso.

In general, I think you're right, but not with the #3 pick. Whoever we pick is far more likely to be a Pro Bowler than three 2nd round picks. Now, dropping down to #7 and picking up a few 2nd rounders is a different story.
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2021, 12:25:20 pm »

You're Bill Belichick aren't you?

Bibamus, moriendum est

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2021, 12:32:46 pm »

Please no RB in the 1st round. Almost anything else would be better. I'm not against drafting defensive players in the 1st round. Make the defense even better if you don't like the options on offense, that's fine with me. Just no RB's. They are a dime a dozen and NONE of them are worth a 1st round pick anymore. Even the best RB in the league is only that way a year or 2 at best.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2021, 12:48:41 pm »

Please no RB in the 1st round. Almost anything else would be better. I'm not against drafting defensive players in the 1st round. Make the defense even better if you don't like the options on offense, that's fine with me. Just no RB's. They are a dime a dozen and NONE of them are worth a 1st round pick anymore. Even the best RB in the league is only that way a year or 2 at best.

I would be okay with taking that Alabama kid in the 2nd round if he were still available but I won't be heartbroken if we don't either.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2021, 01:27:15 pm »

In general, I think you're right, but not with the #3 pick. Whoever we pick is far more likely to be a Pro Bowler than three 2nd round picks. Now, dropping down to #7 and picking up a few 2nd rounders is a different story.

Obviously you aren’t trading #3 overall for a pair of second round picks. It was a more general statement.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray