Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:28:51 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  No QBs drafted in first round from 2009-16 will be on original team in 2021
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: No QBs drafted in first round from 2009-16 will be on original team in 2021  (Read 1116 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: February 19, 2021, 11:06:51 am »

And most likely only one from 2017 will remain on their team. It sure seems like the NFL is in a QB shortage like never before.

2009: Stafford, Lions; Mark Sanchez, Jets; Josh Freeman, Buccaneers.

2010: Sam Bradford, Rams; Tim Tebow, Broncos.

2011: Cam Newton, Panthers; Jake Locker, Titans; Blaine Gabbert, Jaguars; Christian Ponder, Vikings.

2012: Andrew Luck, Colts; Robert Griffin III, Washington; Ryan Tannehill, Dolphins; Brandon Weeden, Browns.

2013: EJ Manuel, Bills.

2014: Blake Bortles, Jaguars; Johnny Manziel, Browns; Teddy Bridgewater, Vikings.

2015: Jameis Winston, Buccaneers; Marcus Mariota, Titans.

2016: Goff, Rams; Wentz, Eagles; Paxton Lynch, Broncos.

There were three quarterbacks taken in the first round of the 2017 draft. Two of them — Mitch Trubisky and Deshaun Watson — may be with different teams next year, but it seems unlikely that Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs will be splitting up in the near future.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/18/no-qbs-drafted-from-2009-16-are-set-to-be-with-team-that-drafted-them/

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 12:31:33 pm »

Looking at those names and it reaffirms my belief that QB is such an important position, teams are taking guys who aren't even 3rd round talent in the Top 10 just because of need. Look at all of those names and they were never even predicted to be any good aside from a few of them like Newton, Luck, RG3 and Tanny. Injuries derailed Newton, Luck and RG3 and poor team management derailed Tanny.

My God, Blake Bortles was picked 3rd overall. He was a 5th round talent overall.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 12:38:00 pm »

Looking at those names and it reaffirms my belief that QB is such an important position, teams are taking guys who aren't even 3rd round talent in the Top 10 just because of need. Look at all of those names and they were never even predicted to be any good aside from a few of them like Newton, Luck, RG3 and Tanny. Injuries derailed Newton, Luck and RG3 and poor team management derailed Tanny.

My God, Blake Bortles was picked 3rd overall. He was a 5th round talent overall.
Injuries didn't help Tanny either. He lost essentially 1.5 years due to injury at a point in his career that he would have been a decent game manager. Seeing how he's seen in the league now if he didn't lose those 1.5 years, not sure he wouldn't have been considered a decent pick. A lot better then most of these other QB's taken.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 12:43:57 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 12:47:02 pm »

In all honesty, he held up his end of the bargain. Not his fault we surrounded him with the worst O-Lines in team history and little other talent. Showing what he can do now in Tennessee, I would say he was worth of being a Top 10 pick.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 02:36:22 pm »

What's even crazier is that of the 22 names listed, at least half of them are out of the league. 
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 02:43:11 pm »

What's even crazier is that of the 22 names listed, at least half of them are out of the league. 

You can probably add any of the Top 5 QBs to this list from 2021 not named Trevor Lawrence. Any QB who "improves their draft stock" at the combine or at the last minute usually amounts to nothing.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 02:46:34 pm »

You can probably add any of the Top 5 QBs to this list from 2021 not named Trevor Lawrence. Any QB who "improves their draft stock" at the combine or at the last minute usually amounts to nothing.

That's why the Combine being cancelled this year may be a blessing in disguise for NFL teams.  So many years I've seen a guy who didn't produce in college suddenly rocket to the top of the draft boards because of an amazing showing at the Combine.  More often than not, those guys turn out to be busts.  And I'm not talking about just the QBs but all positions.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 11:48:38 am by ArtieChokePhin » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray