Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:38:38 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Movie Review - A Trip to the Moon (1902)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: What did you think A Trip to the Moon?
*****   -0 (0%)
****   -1 (25%)
***   -1 (25%)
**   -0 (0%)
*   -0 (0%)
I'd like to see it.   -0 (0%)
I'm not interested.   -2 (50%)
Total Voters: 4

Author Topic: Movie Review - A Trip to the Moon (1902)  (Read 594 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: February 22, 2021, 08:29:04 am »

A Trip to the Moon (1902)

Premise: A group of scientists plan a rocket trip to the moon, where they encounter hostile moon-men.

Rating: Short enough to watch as an educational tool to understand the evolution of film, but not entertaining on its own merits.

This is thought to be the first sci-fi film.  It's black and white, silent, and only lasts 13 minutes.  It's kinda cool to see really basic concepts that we still use today in their inception.  Ideas like overlays and matte paintings, miniatures, and quick cutting to remove an object in the frame are used pretty effectively.

The plot is essentially that the lead scientist, though I read them more as a group of magicians, proposes a trip to the moon, gets some pushback from his colleagues, but ultimately convinces them to go.  Then, they construct this giant bullet and shoot into the eye of the moon, which is represented as a human face (you've probably seen this image before -- it's really famous).  There, they encounter a weird fantasy world with aliens, are brought to their leader, and then discover that they can beat them up into a cloud of smoke.  They return home, have a party, and then there's an alien dancing around Earth.  ...that's at least what I think happens -- it's not that easy to understand since there's no dialogue and everything has to be conveyed with really grandiose movements like you'd see in someone playing charades.

There is one special effect that I thought was pretty cool where this dude's umbrella was turned into a mushroom, as well as a couple of matte painting shots that cheated perspective a little bit.

If you're interested, you can watch it for free here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLVChRVfZ74
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 08:35:08 am by Dave Gray » Logged

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 08:31:19 am »

I've watched this short several times in the past...it's a mind-blower, no doubt about it.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray