Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:07:32 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  NFL Players and Inflated Measurements
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: NFL Players and Inflated Measurements  (Read 1688 times)
Dolphster
Uber Member

« on: February 24, 2021, 07:37:38 am »

There has always been discussion about whether undersized players overstate their height, etc. in college to make them more "draftable" although the combine measurements kind of put an end to that.  Cardinals QB Kyler Murray was questioned a lot about overstating his measurables.   He played high school ball in the town where I live.  His parents still live here and he was here visiting them last week and he was working out at my gym.  He is listed as 5'10, 207lb.  I'm 5'10" and we looked eye to eye so he is definitely 5'10".   Side note, I didn't want to be a fan boy and bug the kid as he was working out so I just said hello to him and exchanged pleasantries for 15 seconds like I would with anyone in the gym.  Seems like a nice guy, very respectful and patient with all the other people who were wearing him out asking for autographs, etc.  Anyways, there is no way he is 207 unless he drops a lot of weight in the offseason.  He is MAYBE 190. 

And now to the shameless brag hidden agenda for my creating this thread.  Yeah, this old man out-benched an NFL player by 90 pounds.  Granted, he is just an undersized QB but I'm not passing up this opportunity to brag.   Grin
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 01:45:01 pm »

Weight can vary a lot month to month.  And it isn’t hard to update your bio with your actual correct weight when it is maxed out and then not update it when it drops.  Height on the other hand is relatively constant, but once again if I wanted the number to be high, I would make sure the measurement was taken first thing in the morning.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 02:54:59 pm »

Weight can vary a lot month to month.  And it isn’t hard to update your bio with your actual correct weight when it is maxed out and then not update it when it drops.  Height on the other hand is relatively constant, but once again if I wanted the number to be high, I would make sure the measurement was taken first thing in the morning.

That's true.  And maybe he puts weight on during the season for durability reasons and then loses some during the offseason.  My main reason for posting was mostly to brag about outlifting him anyway.   Grin
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 03:30:01 pm »

That's true.  And maybe he puts weight on during the season for durability reasons and then loses some during the offseason.  My main reason for posting was mostly to brag about outlifting him anyway.   Grin

Did he do a lot of reps?  I know a few folks who lift for reps rather than max weight.  I know one former Army Ranger that believes you shouldn’t lift anything you can’t do 4 sets of 30-40 He isn’t huge but he is incredibly durable and rarely gets injured working out. And for almost anything (either in the army or playing football) it isn’t about what you can do once and then need a rest, but what you can do continuously for hours on end. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 04:13:25 pm »

Did he do a lot of reps?  I know a few folks who lift for reps rather than max weight.  I know one former Army Ranger that believes you shouldn’t lift anything you can’t do 4 sets of 30-40 He isn’t huge but he is incredibly durable and rarely gets injured working out. And for almost anything (either in the army or playing football) it isn’t about what you can do once and then need a rest, but what you can do continuously for hours on end. 

I was referencing his one rep max.  He was doing that and then doing lighter weight with 12 to 15 reps.   It really wasn't a very fair comparison that I was making anyway because I'm a reformed bodybuilder who now focuses on  powerlifting so lesser reps with high weight is what I focus on.  If I was going to make a fair comparison I would admit that he runs the 40 in about 4.5 seconds and I have to be timed with a sun dial or a calendar in the 40 yard dash.  The kid is a great athlete.  I just conveniently left that out in my initial post.  lol
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray