Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:54:31 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Dolphins and Aaron Jones Have "Mutual Interest"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dolphins and Aaron Jones Have "Mutual Interest"  (Read 1084 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« on: February 24, 2021, 08:22:06 am »

Miami Herald's Barry Jackson reports there's "mutual interest" between the Dolphins and impending free agent Aaron Jones.

Just a rumor for now but I am not a fan of this. I think the majority of us don't even want to use a 1st rounder on a running back, so we certainly don't want to use up more than half of our cap space on one. Seems like we are helping with these rumors to drive up the price for our competitors. Jones is great and it's a shame that RBs rarely get paid for such a brutal position, but this would be a terrible move.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 08:51:19 am »

Don't sweat Ross's money.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 09:28:32 am »

I'm with Edge on this one.  With the reduced salary cap for this year and the fact that the Dolphins aren't in great cap shape anyway, I wouldn't spend free agent money on a RB.   Like Edge said, it is kind of a shame that RBs are undervalued since it is such a brutal position.  But the fact of the matter is that with today's passing focused game, RBs are kind of a dime a dozen.  The Fins definitely need to address the position in the offseason, but I'd much rather they do it via the draft where they aren't overspending. 
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 09:36:43 am »

Don't sweat Ross's money.

I don't at all, he has plenty of it and to his credit, he has spent a lot of it on the team. Very good owner. I sweat the salary cap and not adding players at other positions because we broke the bank on a running back. Between signing the draft class with our 2 first rounders, signing Jones would basically be our only free agent acquisition.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 09:39:15 am »

Pump up the line with Sewell and Creed Humphrey (or the best OL we can draft), and then spend a 4th/5th rounder on a RB, and the line will make him look like a first rounder...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 09:50:46 am »

Pump up the line with Sewell and Creed Humphrey (or the best OL we can draft), and then spend a 4th/5th rounder on a RB, and the line will make him look like a first rounder...

We had two guys last year who did pretty well later in the season. I don't know if we should draft a RB at all.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 10:27:03 am »

This. Ever notice how elite RB's go to another team and don't seem to be quite so elite anymore? How about how Zeke Elliot suddenly looked like an ordinary back after Dallas' offensive line fell apart? The line is more important then the back.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 11:35:38 am »

This. Ever notice how elite RB's go to another team and don't seem to be quite so elite anymore? How about how Zeke Elliot suddenly looked like an ordinary back after Dallas' offensive line fell apart? The line is more important then the back.

Yes. Very few running backs are elite like Henry, but the drop off from the 3rd best RB and the 14th best was 130 yards and they both had the same YPC.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 02:53:52 pm »

This really was the Steelers philosophy for decades.  Many RB's left Pittsburgh for big money and were out of the league two years later.  That said if it's a young RB, and he's a top 3 guy that can run, catch, and most importantly get in the end zone; I don't mind paying him.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 04:13:08 pm »

This right here.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 04:42:54 pm »

I don't know if that is what I would do with the first two picks this year, but you are definitely right about an elite OL making good RBs look great.  An elite OL also makes an average QB look great.  Pretty much any QB in the NFL can throw the ball well if they have a lot of time and a cushiony pocket.  Usually what separates QBs is how they are under a strong rush.  Sewell is clearly the best offensive lineman this year but I'm not totally sold on Humphrey.  I know I'm in the minority there as a lot of people really like him.  He snaps left handed which is really rare.  I wonder if Tua being left handed would make that better, worse, or no different?  I really have no idea because I can't think of any other left handed center - left handed QB examples. 
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 09:28:15 pm »

We had two guys last year who did pretty well later in the season. I don't know if we should draft a RB at all.
LOL ... where have I heard that story before? It doesn't ever seem to pan out for us that's for sure.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2021, 08:30:07 am »

LOL ... where have I heard that story before? It doesn't ever seem to pan out for us that's for sure.

I know, I know, but what fair assessment could be made behind our blocking O-Line last year for a running back? Jones is really good but he won't have a repeat performanceuntil the Line improves and we shouldn't be paying top dollar for anything less than top performance.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2021, 10:08:07 am »

I know, I know, but what fair assessment could be made behind our blocking O-Line last year for a running back? Jones is really good but he won't have a repeat performanceuntil the Line improves and we shouldn't be paying top dollar for anything less than top performance.
I don't see us paying a lot for a free agent RB but I really have no faith in what we have. Obviously I'm hoping they do well this year but who knows. I do expect our O-line will be better just based on experience and continuity.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2021, 02:46:53 pm »

Gaskin is a great 3rd down / spell back, but we need someone better.  In the NFL discord chat I'm in, everyone there thinks Miami should get AJ.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray