Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:26:39 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  The future of streaming and password sharing
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: The future of streaming and password sharing  (Read 2722 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2021, 04:32:24 pm »

Nowadays, you can't get broadcast television without a cable service.  
I am doing it (in HD) right as I type this sentence, and I haven't had cable service since 2007.

edit: Big 10 conference championship game, Ohio State vs. Illinois
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 04:39:29 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2021, 05:35:36 pm »

Nowadays, you can't get broadcast television without a cable service. 

Wrong
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2021, 08:58:22 pm »

I am doing it (in HD) right as I type this sentence, and I haven't had cable service since 2007.

edit: Big 10 conference championship game, Ohio State vs. Illinois

Wrong

So how is it done then? 
mecadonzilla
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2021, 10:28:20 pm »

I don’t have cable. I just have a cheap digital antenna that I got a Walmart. Works just fine. I can watch all the broadcast channels and even a lot of extra subchannels that can be picked up with the digital antenna.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2021, 11:30:50 pm »

So how is it done then?  

This is the antenna that I have mounted to my roof:

I get about 60 channels, though some of the farther ones have spotty reception; I'd say a couple dozen are consistent and reliable.  Of those, roughly 1/3rd are HD.

Most HDTVs have built-in digital tuners, but in my case, I use a device called a HDHomerun that connects to my antenna and plugs in to my network.  With that, I can watch broadcast TV from any computer, newer game console, HTPC, tablet, or phone connected to my network.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2021, 09:41:28 am »

I also have broadcast TV without cable.  I have an HD antenna in my attic, run down through my cable lines.

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2021, 01:12:35 pm »

I use one all the time, without any of the problems you describe.  It's called "broadcast television," and it was the only service available for the first several decades of TV's existence.

The idea that customers have to directly pay for a service to be viable is untrue.  I've never paid for a Google search, or for YouTube, or for the vast majority of websites I visit (thanks, Dave!).   There is a model to make this kind of stuff work.
Agreed, but there are limitations. You need to be close enough to a city that broadcasts and you can only view what they are broadcasting. Not sure you can really compare that to the streaming services which provide a much larger selection of content of higher quality to a larger audience. As I said, you get what you pay for.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 01:30:27 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2021, 01:37:51 pm »

I get most of my music using a similar system, I also get news and sports when driving this way.  It is an even older technology called “radio”
It's funny because my daughter and I were just discussing this in the car the other day when taking her to work. She was trying to find a radio station that played contemporary pop music and she couldn't find any. Where I live there are absolutely zero radio stations that broadcast that content. There are pop stations, but even those tend to have a wide selection of pop music rather then the new artists that you can find on Spotify for instance. The world is changing and young adults are changing their viewing and listening habits and the world is adjusting to that. It's only going to continue.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 01:57:09 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray