Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:18:40 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  NFL rules question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: NFL rules question  (Read 1420 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: March 03, 2021, 02:18:00 am »

I yahoo'd this with no success.  I yahoo'd what does chuck a receiver mean?

Within the five yard zone, a defender may chuck a receiver.  Chuck usually means throw or toss, but I've never seen that happen.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/illegal-contact/ 

The nfl's video doesn't really make it clear.  It shows contact within the five yard zone.  It seems like a more accurate word to use would be CHECK a receiver (like hand-check). 

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 10:35:15 am »

It basically means you can block, divert, or shove.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 01:07:47 pm »

This isn't a rules question, it is a vocabulary one.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 01:39:21 pm »

Dictionary.com says this about the word "chuck" - to toss; throw with a quick motion, usually a short distance:
Chuck that book to me, will you?

Seems pretty straight forward

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 01:48:58 pm »

It's saying you can yeet someone within 5 yards.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 02:09:49 pm »

Dictionary.com says this about the word "chuck" - to toss; throw with a quick motion, usually a short distance:

I have never seen a cornerback take a receiver at the line of scrimmage, lift him off the ground, and then throw him.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 02:19:12 pm »

I did, and now I need a new laptop  Cheesy

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 02:24:13 pm »

That leads into this question about the holding call that negated the interception in the Super Bowl.

You are not allowed to hold within the five yard zone.  You are allowed to maintain contact if you stay in front of the receiver, but you must release him after he exits the five yard zone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nLraMI5Au8&lc=Ugx154WM-ZmDhcmBFZB4AaABAg.9JW59qbLGTm9JuuNyt5I4v

The hold in question is at about the 2:50 mark of the video.

Is this holding?  Or does he maintain contact?  He DOES release the receiver after the five yard zone.  He puts his arms around the receiver again, but this is after Brady has released the football.

I think this was a bad call, because this contact by the Bucs in the divisional round against the Saints was just as bad, if not worse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzF3r8L4OM0&t=33s

What do you think?

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 05:08:53 pm »

On that first one, it's holding or not holding depending on which way the wind blows....by the letter of the law, yes -- it's holding because he's just outside of the 5 yard zone.  But these are not black and white things.  It's about nuance, it's about applying the rules evenly to both teams.  And it's about applying the rules when they matter to the play and not making the flow of the game be more about applying the rules over letting the guys play football. 

It's been said 100 times before, but you could probably call holding on every play in the NFL, because there's judgment there.

In the 2nd instance, I don't think that's obvious holding, because it's well well well within 5 yards -- maybe he was a little bit too handsy.  But also, you just can't compare a different ref in a different game on a different play.  There are too many variables, especially with something as gray as a holding call.

I drink your milkshake!
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 05:35:49 pm »

On that first one, it's holding or not holding depending on which way the wind blows....by the letter of the law, yes -- it's holding because he's just outside of the 5 yard zone.  But these are not black and white things.  It's about nuance, it's about applying the rules evenly to both teams.  And it's about applying the rules when they matter to the play and not making the flow of the game be more about applying the rules over letting the guys play football.  

It's been said 100 times before, but you could probably call holding on every play in the NFL, because there's judgment there.

In the 2nd instance, I don't think that's obvious holding, because it's well well well within 5 yards -- maybe he was a little bit too handsy.  But also, you just can't compare a different ref in a different game on a different play.  There are too many variables, especially with something as gray as a holding call.

Holding has nothing to with the five yard zone.  Illegal contact does.  

The question I have is, what constitutes holding when it comes to a defensive back?

Holding usually involves completely encircling the receiver.

When people say you can call holding on every play, I thought they were talking about the offensive line.

Holding also involves the jersey grab.  The NFL rule book states that any grab of the jersey is supposed to a penalty for defensive holding, but refs do not enforce it this way.  They often let a jersey grab go if it is not flagrant and/or if it is accompanied by an attempt to make a play on the ball.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 06:04:57 pm by dolphins4life » Logged

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 06:21:19 pm »

Also, look at the first call in the video against Breeland.  He does hold his arm, but it doesn't seem to affect his ability to run the route.  He simply slips and falls while making his turn.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2021, 08:11:41 am »

Fair point about illegal contact vs. holding, but my overall point remains the same.  Whatever illegal thing you call it: It doesn't matter.   These are all judgment calls about how much impeding you do, how blatant, who sees it (you're watching on a slow-motion replay), the flow of the game, the person calling the play, whether it affects the play, if it's been happening on lots of play, whether both sides are doing it, etc.

Looking at one isolated holding call doesn't really amount to anything.  It's an exercise that's not going to teach you anything because the exact same play can not get called next week and they'd both be correct.

I drink your milkshake!
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2021, 08:47:03 pm »

I don't even know what constitutes pass interference anymore.  I've been watching the NFL for over 40 years, and they have changed the rules so many times it's just stupid.  There are things that used to be pass interference that aren't anymore, and there are things that are pass interference now that weren't before.  Unless the defender is tackling the receiver before the ball gets there it's pretty much a coin toss whether interference will be called.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray