Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:40:57 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Running up the score
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Running up the score  (Read 3652 times)
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2021, 08:43:50 pm »

I imagine some high school students would be offended.  I think the biggest factor is the attitude and behavior of the dominant team. He didn’t allow trash talking or belittling of opposing players.  I imagine if the kids were taunting saying things like “we can beat you even with one hand” it would be offensive.  But rather his players knew that it was stupid that a school with over 2000 students was matched up a school of less than 100 and treated the opposing team with respect.  As he would tell his kids pre-game, “it takes character and courage to step out on the court every game knowing you have almost no chance of winning.  Stepping out on the court knowing you will win is easy.  Treat them with the respect they deserve”

Agreed. 
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2021, 06:25:07 am »

Unless it's the most social of (even amateur) games, here in Australia running up the score is seen as normal - as a result of a tie at the end of the season, usually the first key tiebreaker to whether you make the finals/playoffs or any home field advantage is score percentage.

So running up a score here is not usually seen as personal, just smart... although sometimes I admit, it is mainly personal.  Wink Grin
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray