Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:26:37 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Why is grifting your supporters so common among conservatives?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Why is grifting your supporters so common among conservatives?  (Read 4253 times)
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2021, 11:59:07 am »

A couple of answers to the many questions in this thread.

The reason more far righters fall for the grift than the far lefters (hippies)...HIPPIES HAVE NO FUCKING MONEY!

The reason it is so easy to con a far righter... You just tell them that the worst made-up lie in their head is the truth, and that only you can save them, their families and their God, so give liberally (sorry...just "give more") or you let down your family, your country and your God.

Message To The Far Right:  If you don't give generously, this could be the end of baseball, apple pie, and God. Oh, and guns.  They are gonna take your guns too.
Message To The Far Left:  If you don't give generously, this could be the end of baby seals and trees, and we are all going to drown from global warming. 
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2021, 12:10:56 am »

I want to follow up on something:

The eternal question of "why are republicans so stupid vs why are democrats such pussies"

Based on this response and D4L's response thread, I think the purpose of my original post is being misunderstood.

This is not a "Why are conservatives so racist and evil?" thread; that question does not have an interesting (or productive) answer.  My question is about why conservatives are so eager to fleece people on the same team.  As in, why would you target your own allies as marks for these scams?

I mean, if you're a hardcore libertarian and you believe that anyone who gets talked out of their money didn't deserve to keep it in the first place, then fine; at least that's an ethos.  But if you don't believe in that kind of survival of the fittest rat race, how can you tolerate this kind of behavior?  Why hasn't this been stomped out on the right?

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2021, 08:51:11 am »

Based on this response and D4L's response thread, I think the purpose of my original post is being misunderstood.

This is not a "Why are conservatives so racist and evil?" thread; that question does not have an interesting (or productive) answer.  My question is about why conservatives are so eager to fleece people on the same team.  As in, why would you target your own allies as marks for these scams?

I mean, if you're a hardcore libertarian and you believe that anyone who gets talked out of their money didn't deserve to keep it in the first place, then fine; at least that's an ethos.  But if you don't believe in that kind of survival of the fittest rat race, how can you tolerate this kind of behavior?  Why hasn't this been stomped out on the right?
That's exactly how I see it. If you willingly give someone your money, it's on you. Same when you purchase something on Ebay, Amazon, or a used car lot. Caveat emptor. The same thing happens on the left also, just in a different form.

Females are a perfect example, especially single mothers. I've ran across a few in my day, but they're pretty much everywhere these days. They'll have a few random dudes that they have no interest in. But they'll flirt with them, act interested in them, send nude pictures to them, etc. Then the sob story about needing money to help with rent, fix the car, groceries, kid's birthday, etc. The whole time they have a boyfriend(s) they're living with, in relationships with, fucking, etc.

Even though we're talking about politicians, it's not really even about politics or being on the same team. This type of behavior has always been there, it's just getting worse. We've all probably been ripped off or scammed one way or the other at some point. You learn a lesson and move forward. Or you continue to be the victim.

If you continue to pet a dog that bites you, is it really the dogs fault?

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2021, 08:57:28 am »

That's exactly how I see it. If you willingly give someone your money, it's on you. Same when you purchase something on Ebay, Amazon, or a used car lot. Caveat emptor. The same thing happens on the left also, just in a different form.

I'm with you on this one.  Of course I have empathy for people like the elderly who have diminished cognitive abilities, etc. so I'm not including groups like that.  But for the most part, it isn't anyone else's responsibility to fix people's stupid decisions.  Of course if they are a victim of a criminal scam, that would also be different.  But people who get suckered into giving their money to religious causes or any other kind of thing that this thread has talked about have nobody to blame but themselves.  Poor decisions in life come with consequences. 
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2021, 09:13:24 am »

This type of behavior has always been there, it's just getting worse.

Could we please stop with this kind of bullshit "the past was better and more pure and less mean than now"

That's just simply not true. Every time someone posts this on whatever topic, it's 99% due to ignorance.  The "good old days" weren't good .. scams were way more prevalent. Crime was way higher. Disease was rampant. Child labor was a thing. Your food poisoned you. Civilization literally had to invent crappy beer so they wouldn't die from drinking water.

As I told the Jehovahs Witnesses that came to my door last year, with the premise that the world was getting more dangerous and wanted me to get all jesus-y.

We have never lived in a more prosperous, fair and safe world and as a group, humans have never had longer life expectancy and levels of education. We're even finally turning away from the bronze age superstitions that have shackled us for thousands of years. And finally embracing our potential free from the kind of garbage they were at my door for.

The old days sucked.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 09:15:16 am by Fau Teixeira » Logged
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2021, 10:12:46 am »

Could we please stop with this kind of bullshit "the past was better and more pure and less mean than now"

That's just simply not true. Every time someone posts this on whatever topic, it's 99% due to ignorance.  The "good old days" weren't good .. scams were way more prevalent. Crime was way higher. Disease was rampant. Child labor was a thing. Your food poisoned you. Civilization literally had to invent crappy beer so they wouldn't die from drinking water.
I said behavior. The "I want it now", "hustling", "grinding", "in the bag"(whatever the fuck that means) crowd. All they talk about is money and stuff. Living paycheck to paycheck, behind on bills, and posting FB pictures of themselves at work talking "them coins". My first thought is, "Wow retard, you have a job and make some money to survive." It's a fucked up mindset and it started sometime in the late 90's/early 2000's. These are the same type people that justify taking advantage of other people. Those type people have always been there to an extent. They are everywhere now. It has nothing to do with the "good old days", crime, or disease. It's more like the dumbing down of society.

We have never lived in a more prosperous, fair and safe world and as a group, humans have never had longer life expectancy and levels of education.
And that includes minorities. 2021 and they have never had a more prosperous, fair and safe world to live in. I'm glad you admitted what some of us have known all along.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2021, 12:49:06 pm »

In someways your question is why are conservatives pro-ripping people off. 

But several reasons....

Democrats are in general pro-consumer protection while conservatives are buyer beware.  So it would be very off brand for Bernie Sanders to hide the fact in the fine print that donations are reoccurring, while it is very on brand for Trump.  So republicans are more likely to attempt to rip someone off.  (of either party)

While their are gullible people on both sides.  The republicans have a sizeable group of supporters that are gullible enough to support a party that economic policy greatly hurt them.  Democrats like Warren Buffet who support the democratic party despite not being in his best financial interest do so, his reason is not being gullible but altruistic

Democrats don’t trust republicans.  You need trust for the scam to work.  That is why Trump targeted his own supportsers, rather than Biden’s. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2021, 01:40:12 pm »

In someways your question is why are conservatives pro-ripping people off. 
Democrats are in general pro-consumer protection while conservatives are buyer beware. 
We're not talking about consumers. There is no such thing as idiot protection. You are an adult, it's up to you to determine who to GIVE your money to. If you make a mistake, like we all have in life. You learn a lesson and adjust your actions in the future. If you don't, you're an idiot and deserve the situation that you put yourself in.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2021, 02:28:34 pm »

No idiot protection? I'm sure the Attorneys General office and the Federal Trade Commission would object, as both of these agencies help deal with stopping scammers. For that matter, pretty much everything in the world of law enforcement would qualify as well.

We have a society designed to help protect idiots from criminals...and themselves. Is it 100% effective? of course not. As long as humans are involved, you'll always have imperfections, inconsistencies, biases, etc...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2021, 04:08:37 pm »

No idiot protection? I'm sure the Attorneys General office and the Federal Trade Commission would object, as both of these agencies help deal with stopping scammers. For that matter, pretty much everything in the world of law enforcement would qualify as well.

We have a society designed to help protect idiots from criminals...and themselves. Is it 100% effective? of course not. As long as humans are involved, you'll always have imperfections, inconsistencies, biases, etc...
Most scammers are trying to sell you something. That's not what I"m talking about, I'm talking about people who straight up ask you for shit. Whether you decide to help the local wildlife preserve, the whore that's flirting with you, or a politician. It's your choice to HELP/GIVE/DONATE to them. Once you do that, they owe you nothing.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2021, 04:29:57 pm »

Most scammers are trying to sell you something. That's not what I"m talking about, I'm talking about people who straight up ask you for shit. Whether you decide to help the local wildlife preserve, the whore that's flirting with you, or a politician. It's your choice to HELP/GIVE/DONATE to them. Once you do that, they owe you nothing.

Even then you have the right to not be defrauded, eg told your money will be used to build a wall and the money actually used for someones vacation.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2021, 06:17:49 pm »

Even then you have the right to not be defrauded, eg told your money will be used to build a wall and the money actually used for someones vacation.
Don't trust people with your money because everyone wants your money. Your money is your responsibility. Learn a lesson and move forward.

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2021, 06:19:40 pm »

And that includes minorities. 2021 and they have never had a more prosperous, fair and safe world to live in. I'm glad you admitted what some of us have known all along.

that's true, the problem is that better does not mean equal .. better does not mean fair .. better does not mean equitable

better simply means that compared to being a minority in 1790 or 1820 or 1850 or 1890 or 1920 or 1950, now is better than those days
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2021, 07:46:18 pm »

Not that I necessarily disagree, but this is a really strange statement to hear from a conservative.

So you're saying that we are better (or even, dare I say, greater) than at any point in the past?  2021 is greater than 2015, which was greater than 2005, which was greater than 1985 or 1955...?

It's almost like those who call for a return to a prior time of greatness are referring to a very specific thing...

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2021, 07:05:49 am »

That's just simply not true.
Just a few examples ... In the 80's all of us had guns in their truck let alone they were hanging in the window and no one was afraid they would get shot or that anyone would break the window and steal them. We'd even have teachers or deans come out to look at new guns. Kids could walk the streets pretty much anywhere and not worry about being taken.

Safer schools and safer society  ...  it was definitely better back then regardless of if a man would have been made fun of for wearing a dress.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray