Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:13:46 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  CBS Mock Drafts Astound Me
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: CBS Mock Drafts Astound Me  (Read 933 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« on: April 22, 2021, 09:42:02 am »

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/two-round-nfl-mock-draft-giants-make-unexpected-selection-while-micah-parsons-patrick-surtain-ii-slide-down/

They are consistently the most ludicrous mock drafts out there. At this point, they have to be doing this for hate clicks, otherwise no one who makes these has ever seen a football game.

They have Miami trading back with Denver because Pitts and Chase are off the board, that part is reasonable. The insanity comes when we have to throw in a 3rd rounder to Denver to move back 3 spaces and only get a 2nd rounder in return. Basically, we are moving back and only gaining a 2nd rounder while losing a 3rd rounder. We select Waddle over Devonta Smith at 9. He then has us passing on Micah Parsons who is somehow still available at 18 for OL Teven Jenkins.

Just click on it for a laugh as they also have the Niners taking Mac Jones.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 10:56:12 am »

I find it generally unhelpful when mock drafts try to include trades.  It's just impossible to predict...not only who would trade, but to whom and for what.  It's just variables on top of variables to a point where it is literally useless.

I get that not every team is going going to take the guy in front of them, but that method gives you the best mock result.

I drink your milkshake!
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 11:16:13 am »

I find it generally unhelpful when mock drafts try to include trades.  It's just impossible to predict...not only who would trade, but to whom and for what.  It's just variables on top of variables to a point where it is literally useless.

I get that not every team is going going to take the guy in front of them, but that method gives you the best mock result.

Oh yeah, complete shots in the dark with trades but I can understand projecting them at times. They just can't project what teams will give up, and if they do they can't make it laughable. This guy has Miami trading down and getting less than a 2nd rounder for it, that's just nonsense that shouldn't be printed. Not saying we will get a 1st rounder to move down 3 spots, but that isn't out of the question either when a team wants a franchise QB.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 12:56:29 pm »

Mock drafts, including my own which I do a ton of, are of practically no value whatsoever.  They are essentially just wild guesses off of a made up big board, off of made up assumptions about what other teams are going to do before your team, off of made up assumptions about another half dozen variables.  All mock drafts do is give people something to talk about.  And that is fine.  But that is really all they are. 
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 01:15:08 pm »

The big problem with predicting trades is that there are two teams.  So, you're mocking two things at once.

Even if you think Miami might move down, there's just no way to know who will occupy that spot.  So, the team you're picking for most likely won't have a pick that high, so you're selecting a guy that won't be available for them.  If you have the 20th pick, what good does mocking the 10th pick and 2 future first rounders actually give you.  There are other tools for that, but it's not a mock draft.

Just pick who everyone would take if they stayed put.  ...because it's likely to be wrong in both directions....yeah, we might take a guy that would otherwise stay on the board, but the next team will correct.

I drink your milkshake!
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 01:23:00 pm »

As much as we say we can't wait for the draft to come so we can stop speculating, there is basically nothing to talk about until training camp once it is over. Even then, every player "looks great and ready for a breakout year" and the others get hurt. Ghost Town until the season starts after the draft.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 02:00:12 pm »

Is there ay scenario that hasn't been mocked?

Not that fans control what a team does but they were saying on the Joe Rose show how Miami fans would riot if they draft another O-Lineman with a first round pick with all the big name playmakers on offense and defense out there and the fact we drafted so many in recent years. Obviously only Grier and Flores know what they are thinking but it seems likely to me that they are more likely to trade up to get who they want. Grier basically went through all scenarios yesterday but didn't mention a DE. Considering they were ignoring Tua last year in similar fashion I'm guessing that will be our number 2 pick.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 02:04:04 pm »

Is there ay scenario that hasn't been mocked?

Not that fans control what a team does but they were saying on the Joe Rose show how Miami fans would riot if they draft another O-Lineman with a first round pick with all the big name playmakers on offense and defense out there and the fact we drafted so many in recent years. Obviously only Grier and Flores know what they are thinking but it seems likely to me that they are more likely to trade up to get who they want. Grier basically went through all scenarios yesterday but didn't mention a DE. Considering they were ignoring Tua last year in similar fashion I'm guessing that will be our number 2 pick.

Pitts and Chase being gone before we pick is a 50-50 possibility to me at this point, so I am preparing for Miami to draft Sewell. However, as much as I like him and feel he makes our whole line much better, I do want Chase or Pitts and think we would trade back with Denver for more draft picks and end up with Waddle or Smith. Not an ideal scenario but in the long run we should be happy with it as long as Chase or Pitts don't turn into Randy Moss overnight and the guy we draft sucks.

We will be a better team no matter who we draft in the 1st round but we will second guess Grier missing out on the guys we really wanted and only netting a 3rd rounder and a 2023 1st rounder that will probably be in the high 20's if we walk away with Waddle.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 01:59:47 am »

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/two-round-nfl-mock-draft-giants-make-unexpected-selection-while-micah-parsons-patrick-surtain-ii-slide-down/

They are consistently the most ludicrous mock drafts out there. At this point, they have to be doing this for hate clicks, otherwise no one who makes these has ever seen a football game.

They have Miami trading back with Denver because Pitts and Chase are off the board, that part is reasonable. The insanity comes when we have to throw in a 3rd rounder to Denver to move back 3 spaces and only get a 2nd rounder in return. Basically, we are moving back and only gaining a 2nd rounder while losing a 3rd rounder. We select Waddle over Devonta Smith at 9. He then has us passing on Micah Parsons who is somehow still available at 18 for OL Teven Jenkins.

Just click on it for a laugh as they also have the Niners taking Mac Jones.

It is a real pisstake of an effort this one... about the only think I like is us picking up Najee Harris at the start of the second round. Right after our "trade" he projects New England to give up a future first to move up to #7 - we would be better off just dealing with them instead of Denver! I would be very surprised if we would consider moving back down for any less than we gave to move back up again to #6, a minimum of a future first rounder.

As for passing on Parsons if he manages to drop all the way down to #18, pffft....   Roll Eyes

I remember back when CBS used to have some serious NFL analysts doing these mocks, guys with decades in this type of work like Pat Kirwan, Gil Brandt and Charley Casserly (to go along with Pete Prisco and Will Brinson). Between the lot of them you could get some kind of decent guide...

It's just getting ridiculous now - there seems to be a new mock virtually every day from someone I have never heard of. Like you, I think they are doing this for the clicks, and don't care just how crazy they get.   
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 08:08:52 pm »

Well I think it could be right taking Najee Harris @ 36, if he is still available.  But no way Miami is taking an O-lineman at 18, unless Sewell is still on the board after a mysterious bong pic; but I don't think we can go there again. lol
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2021, 09:59:29 pm »

Well I think it could be right taking Najee Harris @ 36, if he is still available.  But no way Miami is taking an O-lineman at 18, unless Sewell is still on the board after a mysterious bong pic; but I don't think we can go there again. lol

If Harris is there at 36 and we are happy with our 1st round selections, then go for it. Just not at 18.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray