Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:50:39 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Rant: The general public are slapdicks.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Rant: The general public are slapdicks.  (Read 6068 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: April 23, 2021, 01:14:34 pm »

I am trying to give away some items and I'm constantly in awe of how unreliable the average idiot is.  I deal with this at work, with people who just have excuses for not doing things.  And I'm in a costume group where I volunteer my time to help people along and they're just unmotivated turds waiting for life to come to them.

It's maddening.

I am trying to give away a set of bunk beds.  So, I use a free site -- have some interest, and then ghosting when it comes to actually committing to coming to get the stuff.  So, then I figure if I sell it, people will attach a value and be more motivated to lose a good deal.  So, within minutes, I get offers, and then people just ghost.  Later on, if they eventually reply, it's just bullshit.  I got busy.  Yeah, well, we're all fucking busy.  Life is busy.  Handle your shit.

The costume club is especially bad.  People will ghost you or set timelines for themselves that they constantly don't meet -- and it's simple stuff like reviewing a website and making a choice on which costume you like.  ...and then three weeks later, they'll be like, "oh sorry, my uncle was in the hospital."  And I'm like "oh...I didn't realize he was the one who had to pick your costume for you, so who gives a shit."  Excuses are the worst.  Do shit.  Everyone has kids, jobs, lives, parents, work.  Make it happen.

And I get it -- money is tight or whatever.  Don't spend it.  Fine.  But saving doesn't just happen.  Nobody just drops the money in your account for you, so you have to make a plan and follow-through to make it happen.

You want these bunk beds but don't have a truck?  That problem doesn't solve itself -- call around and find a truck.  Or don't -- but then the bunk beds don't just appear in your house.  You can't wait your way into that solution.

End rant.

I drink your milkshake!
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 01:58:43 pm »

This is why when i commit to going somewhere .. i show up .. on time .. and ready .. if i dont' want to do it ..i wont' commit to it
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 02:16:41 pm »

This is why when i commit to going somewhere .. i show up .. on time .. and ready .. if i dont' want to do it ..i wont' commit to it

Yeah, same here.  If someone asks me if I want to do something, rather than doing the wishy washy "maybe" answer, if it is something I want to do I will say so and I will do it.  If it is something I'm not interested in, I just simply say, "I'm not interested."   Re: Dave's story about people ghosting when he is trying to give stuff away, I think I would just prefer to throw something away than to do deal with unreliable douchnozzles. 
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 02:18:41 pm »

^ I battle between not wanting to wait on the wishy-washiness of others and waste.  I hate waste.  I hate the idea of this perfectly good set of bunks that I know people would use and like -- and think that it could end up in a landfill....or even someone wasting money on it.

So, I can't bring myself to put it out on the curb.

I drink your milkshake!
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 04:00:56 pm »

I am trying to give away some items and I'm constantly in awe of how unreliable the average idiot is.  I deal with this at work, with people who just have excuses for not doing things.  And I'm in a costume group where I volunteer my time to help people along and they're just unmotivated turds waiting for life to come to them.

It's maddening.

I am trying to give away a set of bunk beds.  So, I use a free site -- have some interest, and then ghosting when it comes to actually committing to coming to get the stuff.  So, then I figure if I sell it, people will attach a value and be more motivated to lose a good deal.  So, within minutes, I get offers, and then people just ghost.  Later on, if they eventually reply, it's just bullshit.  I got busy.  Yeah, well, we're all fucking busy.  Life is busy.  Handle your shit.

The costume club is especially bad.  People will ghost you or set timelines for themselves that they constantly don't meet -- and it's simple stuff like reviewing a website and making a choice on which costume you like.  ...and then three weeks later, they'll be like, "oh sorry, my uncle was in the hospital."  And I'm like "oh...I didn't realize he was the one who had to pick your costume for you, so who gives a shit."  Excuses are the worst.  Do shit.  Everyone has kids, jobs, lives, parents, work.  Make it happen.

And I get it -- money is tight or whatever.  Don't spend it.  Fine.  But saving doesn't just happen.  Nobody just drops the money in your account for you, so you have to make a plan and follow-through to make it happen.

You want these bunk beds but don't have a truck?  That problem doesn't solve itself -- call around and find a truck.  Or don't -- but then the bunk beds don't just appear in your house.  You can't wait your way into that solution.

End rant.

I get this all the time trying to sell stuff on Facebook Marketplace.   People hit you up for stuff, act as if they are interested, then just randomly ghost.  That prompts me to respond with, "Hey fucknuts!!  Did you want the<item> or not??"   Then if they don't respond or respond in a nasty way, I report them to Facebook Marketplace. 
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 08:33:02 pm »

There are these things called charities that I think would love a set of bunk beds. You can't wait your way to a solution.  Evil
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 08:49:50 pm »

I spent too much of my time waiting on wishy washy people, so I just don't do it anymore.  When they finally get around to showing up, I just say too bad the items gone or i'm not interested anymore.  As for selling things I've switched to putting it with a consignment shop or places that have semi-monthly auctions.  I only get about a third of what I probably could sell the items for, but it's a lot less hassle.  I've also found a couple consignment shops where you can buy really good furniture and other items for really cheap (people die and the families don't want to be bothered).  Fifteen years ago when I bought my house I could have saved thousands of dollars on furnishings if I knew about them then.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2021, 09:15:06 am »

When selling stuff, my wife always makes it clear that it's first come first serve and don't mark it as sold until someone carries it away. My wife finds this tends to get people motivated to come pick up the stuff that they have said they want.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2021, 06:19:31 pm »

I'll admit I can be wishy washy some times. I have no idea what I will feel like next Saturday. Usually if I leave something up in the air though I  should just say no immediately but I feel too guilty to tell someone that I don't feel what is important to them iis worth my time.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2021, 09:02:01 am »

There are these things called charities that I think would love a set of bunk beds. You can't wait your way to a solution.  Evil

You'd think, but you'd be wrong.

Lots of places won't even take them because they fear some kind of insurance risk with kids crawling on it, falling out of it, etc.  Some of these places won't touch any items meant for children that have safety issues -- bunks, car seats, pack and play, cribs, etc.

And there were places that would come pick it up (I called many of them -- that was my starting point) but they weren't available for pickup for like 6 weeks -- all backed up and short-staffed from COVID.

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2021, 10:14:37 am »

And there were places that would come pick it up (I called many of them -- that was my starting point) but they weren't available for pickup for like 6 weeks -- all backed up and short-staffed from COVID.
Dave you need to invest in a truck...just don't tell anyone or they will call you to help them move.  Evil

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2021, 11:00:57 am »

So, I sold the bunkbeds.

The person who got them was a slapdick.  Late by about 45 minutes on the first day.  Didn't even message me until 8 minutes after they were supposed to arrive.
They could only fit about half in the truck.

The 2nd day, they were an hour and a half late, no message at all.

Slapdicks.  But that problem is gone and I got $60 out of it, which I was willing to give for free.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2021, 01:09:27 am »

You'd think, but you'd be wrong.

Lots of places won't even take them because they fear some kind of insurance risk with kids crawling on it, falling out of it, etc.  Some of these places won't touch any items meant for children that have safety issues -- bunks, car seats, pack and play, cribs, etc.

I had no idea. I don't have kids and the closest I have dealt with anything resembling a bunk bed was a  loft in college and those things were easy to pass around.  I get it though. So sad we have become so litigious that charities will not accept perfectly good bunk beds.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2021, 01:03:59 pm »

I was going to start a new thread, but I realized that my premise was the same.

I am constantly amazed at the lack of general business etiquette when it comes to the general public.

I have had multiple messages from a person who only identifies themselves as "Tom".  Like, who calls a company and only uses their first name?  I can't look up the file and see what the hell the guy is talking about to call him back with the info he wants to know.

How do these people live?  Do they put their underwear on outside their pants?

-----

In other news, my father somewhat recently passed away and he was very prepared in terms of his estate -- everything was worked out with an attorney ahead of time, so there was no probate or anything like that for things like his retirement IRA.  Even still, executing everything was very confusing and required a bunch of work from all 5 of his kids, bankers, attorneys -- we are all intelligent, generally understanding of the process, college educated, etc.  ...not to mention we are all on the same page and weren't infighting -- and it was still a difficult process that required a lot of work and time.

How do dumb people do that?  Do they just get fucked by society?

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2021, 01:49:27 pm »

They usually have dumb parents that don't have anything to leave that requires much work
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray