Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:12:58 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Hank "The Hammer" Goldberg passes away at 82 on July 4th
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Hank "The Hammer" Goldberg passes away at 82 on July 4th  (Read 559 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: July 06, 2022, 09:02:27 am »

Historical South Florida fans know him as the beginnning of sports and sports radio. He called the 72 Dolphins games and broke the story of Shula's retirement. He was the mouth of South Florida sports for a very long time.

RIP Mr. Hammer!

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 10:08:48 am »

I used to listen to that guy every day.

He was all about gambling before you could openly discuss it, so he would talk in code.

I drink your milkshake!
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 10:28:22 am »

I would listen to him on QAM as well.  Great guy, but if a caller said something stupid, Goldberg would rip him to shreds.   That's why they called him The Hammer.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 02:40:21 pm »

He was too old for me.  I preferred other guys on there.  Hank talked about horse racing and lines and stuff that I wasn't interested in when I was 17.  I still listened regularly during Dolphins season, but I felt like he was from a different era.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 03:54:24 pm »

He was too old for me.  I preferred other guys on there.  Hank talked about horse racing and lines and stuff that I wasn't interested in when I was 17.  I still listened regularly during Dolphins season, but I felt like he was from a different era.
He did a lot of odds stuff for ESPN too. Obvioulsy gambling on sports was big in his life long before it became what it is today.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2022, 04:19:03 pm »

He did a lot of odds stuff for ESPN too. Obviously gambling on sports was big in his life long before it became what it is today.

They've loosened it up hugely and there are shows that outright talk about gambling, but the NFL used to crack down on that stuff really hard, I assume.   So, Hank would go on and say things like "I expect the Dolphins to win....and WIN BIG this week."  Or, "I expect the Dolphins to win but eek this one out in a tight game"  ...basically saying about covering spreads, but his annunciation was kinda cheeky.

But yeah, looking back, his show was for gambling derelicts...he would talk about the Preakness and all that crap.  I always hated that.

I drink your milkshake!
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2022, 08:13:06 pm »

They've loosened it up hugely and there are shows that outright talk about gambling, but the NFL used to crack down on that stuff really hard, I assume.   So, Hank would go on and say things like "I expect the Dolphins to win....and WIN BIG this week."  Or, "I expect the Dolphins to win but eek this one out in a tight game"  ...basically saying about covering spreads, but his annunciation was kinda cheeky.

But yeah, looking back, his show was for gambling derelicts...he would talk about the Preakness and all that crap.  I always hated that.

I ran into him in Baltimore one year on Preakness weekend, he was doing a radio broadcast from inside the ESPN Zone Restaurant.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray