Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:46:23 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Rant: The general public are slapdicks.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Rant: The general public are slapdicks.  (Read 5960 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2021, 04:56:04 pm »

They usually have dumb parents that don't have anything to leave that requires much work

So, I actually asked the banker this question and he said that the answer is that they just pay a bunch in taxes.  "People see dollar signs and are just happy that there's a check in front of them".

I drink your milkshake!
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2021, 10:04:04 pm »

I was going to start a new thread, but I realized that my premise was the same.

I am constantly amazed at the lack of general business etiquette when it comes to the general public.

I have had multiple messages from a person who only identifies themselves as "Tom".  Like, who calls a company and only uses their first name?  I can't look up the file and see what the hell the guy is talking about to call him back with the info he wants to know.

How do these people live?  Do they put their underwear on outside their pants?

-----

In other news, my father somewhat recently passed away and he was very prepared in terms of his estate -- everything was worked out with an attorney ahead of time, so there was no probate or anything like that for things like his retirement IRA.  Even still, executing everything was very confusing and required a bunch of work from all 5 of his kids, bankers, attorneys -- we are all intelligent, generally understanding of the process, college educated, etc.  ...not to mention we are all on the same page and weren't infighting -- and it was still a difficult process that required a lot of work and time.

How do dumb people do that?  Do they just get fucked by society?
Yeah, my dad died last Sept. and he was also very prepared in terms of his estate. All investments and money accounts were TOD split evenly between the heirs. There was no infighting, but it is still a long drawn out process. There's still one account open for him to receive his tax return before it's distributed between the heirs. But his return is stuck in limbo with the IRS, so no telling how long it might take to finish everything. Hell, it could take a year or more to settle his estate if it lasts a couple more months. In 2021 it shouldn't be this long of a process for someone who has their estate planned out well.

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2021, 10:11:06 am »

Dave's original post rings true.  The general public really are slapdicks.  In my opinion I think a large part of that is the way over the last 40 years or so, society has seen an enormous decline in just being considerate of others.  We could probably debate the reasons for years, but I think is pretty obvious that a large percentage of people today are just selfish and inconsiderate of others and they think nothing of inconveniencing others.  Common courtesy used to be the standard.  But now it is so rare that if someone makes the effort to be polite, considerate, etc. that when it happens, it really gets my attention.  What used to be expected is now so rare that I feel like singling someone out for praise when they are polite and considerate.  
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 10:38:34 am by Dolphster » Logged
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2021, 10:29:58 am »

Common courtesy...Common sense... Uncommon, at best.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2021, 10:38:56 am »

Common courtesy...Common sense... Uncommon, at best.

Indeed.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2021, 03:14:21 pm »

The problem is that some of us are enablers. We'll bend over backwards to help these people. Some of us need to stop supporting those that waste people's time. Like I mentioned earlier when selling something, it's first come first serve meaning the first person to show up and hand me cash is taking it and I couldn't care less whom that is. Trust me these people that show up hours late will be unhappy when they find out I already sold it to someone else, so we always make sure to tell them if someone comes along first, sorry. You want it, better get here quick before it's gone. Can't come till Tuesday at 7:00 pm, well I hope it's still here when you show up and don't be surprised if I walk out the door to go eat dinner at 7:15 and you're not here. Sucks to be you.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2021, 03:32:25 pm »

Dave's original post rings true.  The general public really are slapdicks.  In my opinion I think a large part of that is the way over the last 40 years or so, society has seen an enormous decline in just being considerate of others.  We could probably debate the reasons for years, but I think is pretty obvious that a large percentage of people today are just selfish and inconsiderate of others and they think nothing of inconveniencing others.  Common courtesy used to be the standard.  But now it is so rare that if someone makes the effort to be polite, considerate, etc. that when it happens, it really gets my attention.  What used to be expected is now so rare that I feel like singling someone out for praise when they are polite and considerate.  

What evidence do you have that people were more considerate 40 years ago (1981) than they are today?  Or is that just a belief based on the mythology of the “back in the good old days”.  There were rude self centered people back then and also polite and considerate people— just like today.

While this isn’t proof people are in general more polite today than 40 years ago, I do know in my town cars are much more likely to stop for pedestrians trying to cross a crosswalk.  Same town, same crosswalks. Only difference is now I am an adult walking for exercise and 40 years ago I was a kid trying to get to and from school.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2021, 04:57:02 pm »

What evidence do you have that people were more considerate 40 years ago (1981) than they are today?  Or is that just a belief based on the mythology of the “back in the good old days”.  There were rude self centered people back then and also polite and considerate people— just like today.

While this isn’t proof people are in general more polite today than 40 years ago, I do know in my town cars are much more likely to stop for pedestrians trying to cross a crosswalk.  Same town, same crosswalks. Only difference is now I am an adult walking for exercise and 40 years ago I was a kid trying to get to and from school.

My "evidence" is purely anecdotal which is why I prefaced my comment with "in my opinion".   It was a generalization based on my own observations.  I agree with you about cars being more likely to allow pedestrians to cross in a crosswalk.  But I think the argument could be made that the specific example you gave although correct is more of an exception than the rule.  I don't have any kind of scientific qualifier (not sure there would even be a way to scientifically qualify whether people are less considerate than they were 40 years ago) to support my claim.  It was just my takeaway from being an observer of human behavior.  I don't think that citing one example which is contrary to my comment invalidates my comment any more than citing one example to support my claim would validate it.  And I didn't refer to them as the "good old days".  Of course there were rude and self centered people back then.  Never said there wasn't.  A 100% positive outcome in a sample size is not necessary in order to make an accurate assessment of something.  You often operate with a 100% or 0% view of things.  I suppose life would be much simpler if that were the case in the real world, but it rarely is. 
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2021, 05:12:52 pm »

I am not claiming people are better.  I am refuting that they are worse. Standard refrain of every group, “back when I was a kid we use to….”

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

― Socrates

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2021, 06:38:41 pm »

I am not claiming people are better.  I am refuting that they are worse. Standard refrain of every group, “back when I was a kid we use to….”

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

― Socrates

I don't really care enough to get into a big debate about it.  It isn't anything that either of us can quantify, so it is just a matter of differing opinions. 
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2021, 09:06:26 pm »

I think in almost every way one can quantify it, people are indeed much more courteous today.

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2021, 09:31:27 pm »

I think in almost every way one can quantify it, people are indeed much more courteous today.
Nope

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2021, 10:14:50 pm »

Obviously crime statistics are drastically lower than they were 40 years ago, but perhaps we're not talking about that kind of considerate.

So I'll say this: if you're not a straight white Christian male, America is MUCH more considerate today than it was in 1981.  And it's not even close.

I don't even understand what the frame of reference is for even trying to claim that people were more considerate 40 years ago.  Are we talking about... TV shows?  Maybe music was less coarse?  It seems like every facet of actual life was demonstrably meaner.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2021, 08:51:01 am »

More courteous or not, one thing for sure is that you were much more likely in the old days to get shot in a saloon.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2021, 08:57:36 am »

I had this conversation a few years ago with Jehovas Witnesses that came to my door. They asked me if i agreed that the world today is more dangerous than it's ever been.  I told them that the opposite was in fact true. Live expectancy has never been higher, people have access to technology that improves their lives and they are connected to each other like never before. There aren't masses of people dying from polio or smallpox anymore. Europe isn't at war and instead is a giant cooperative.

Then of course we had Brexit, and Covid and anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers and Trump in the white house and this thread is proven right. People are just slapdicks. It doesn't matter how much better it gets for people at large, it doesn't matter how much we improve as a society. there are always going to be idiots that do idiotic things.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray