Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:26:08 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  No Fun League
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: No Fun League  (Read 3686 times)
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« on: April 24, 2021, 04:36:47 pm »

Penalizing for trash talk??  Dude, it's part of the game.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1384954954528473088
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 11:44:26 am »

I'm ok with it.

They're trying to cut down on fights.  It's a business.  They want good football plays, not a circus of fighting and bad press.

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 01:07:11 pm »

No Fracas League

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 10:41:26 am »

So the premise of this thread is the definition of "fun" is "poor sportsmanship, harassing others, and provoking fights"

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 12:24:04 pm »

Trash talking doesn't bother me nearly as much as the knuckleheads who strut and swagger after a meaningless 4 yard pickup.  Before any word nazis ask me to provide specific examples of a meaningless 4 yard reception leading to strutting and/or swaggering, I was speaking in generalities and most people will understand the point I was making. 
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 01:04:15 pm »

Trash talking doesn't bother me nearly as much as the knuckleheads who strut and swagger after a meaningless 4 yard pickup.  Before any word nazis ask me to provide specific examples of a meaningless 4 yard reception leading to strutting and/or swaggering, I was speaking in generalities and most people will understand the point I was making. 

I would genuinely love penalties like this. "Personal foul, unnecessary celebration, Number 88. Player danced after converting a 1st Down while down 39 points. 15 yard penalty, first down."
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 01:39:31 pm »

^^^ and ^^^

Yes to both posts above. When I see that sort of thing I always wonder if success comes so infrequently for that player that they need to dance around after doing what they are paid to do.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 07:19:03 pm »

The one kind of trash talking and/or taunting that should always be permitted is pointing at the scoreboard.  There are a lot of times when people like to run their mouth, and pointing at the scoreboard is the only appropriate response.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 04:09:06 pm »

The one kind of trash talking and/or taunting that should always be permitted is pointing at the scoreboard.  There are a lot of times when people like to run their mouth, and pointing at the scoreboard is the only appropriate response.

Agreed.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 05:05:46 pm »

It's one of the things I dislike about the UFC.  They play up the antics because it gets them short-term ratings, but it makes the whole sport look like a circus and keeps it from reaching its fullest potential, IMO.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 05:15:18 pm »

Not to sidetrack, but after Chael Sonnen, Conor McGregor, and Colby Covington, Dana White's management style is clear: saying controversial things will get a good fighter the treatment of an elite fighter, and get an elite fighter free rein of the company.

White is a lot more like Vince McMahon than most would like to admit.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2021, 05:28:01 pm »

Dana White is a lot like McMahon.  He brought the sport a long way, but there's a ceiling to how he handles it.  It lacks legitimacy.

I drink your milkshake!
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2021, 08:41:46 pm »

Dana White is a lot like McMahon.  He brought the sport a long way, but there's a ceiling to how he handles it.  It lacks legitimacy.

i was picking up wings at a buffalo wild wings with my son and they had UFC posters on the walls. He asked me if UFC was like WWE.. and after thinking about that question .. my answer was .. kinda.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2021, 09:10:19 pm »

i was picking up wings at a buffalo wild wings with my son and they had UFC posters on the walls. He asked me if UFC was like WWE.. and after thinking about that question .. my answer was .. kinda.

The only difference is UFC doesn't have pre-determined matches.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2021, 10:30:28 pm »

The only difference is UFC doesn't have pre-determined matches.

that you know of
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray