Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:56:34 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Aaron Rodgers Told FA's He Wasn't Returning to Green Bay
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Aaron Rodgers Told FA's He Wasn't Returning to Green Bay  (Read 2988 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2021, 01:32:01 pm »

In my opinion he is just saber rattling to avoid camp and to get the attention that he so desperately seeks all the time.  I could be wrong, but I would imagine that he will be behind Center for Green Bay when the regular season starts.  With or without a new contract. 

Both parties have no real leverage, which is weird but true. If the Packers let Rodgers leave or make him sit out by playing hardball, then here comes a 6-10 season at best. On the other hand, Rodgers really can't be traded right now for many reasons so his only real options are to sit out the maximum number of games that would still let your contract toll or retire.

At the end of the day, I think they come to an agreement that this is his last year in Green Bay and he doesn't get any fines for sitting out. You are right, Rodgers loves attention but he is very stubborn and I can't rule out the possibility he retires out of spite. He has a ring, his money and a ticket to Canton. I'm sure he wants to keep going but he wouldn't be leaving with regrets.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2021, 01:56:36 pm »

I love his play but he is a weird dude. There is no telling what he will do as he seems to be pretty stubborn as well. 

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2021, 09:30:35 am »

ProFootballTalk.com reports Aaron Rodgers could save $18.3 million in unearned signing bonus money and roster bonus money if he opts out of the 2021 season by July 2.

It's a new wrinkle in the NFL MVP's offseason saga, and one that should cause tremendous heartburn in the Packers' front office. An agreement between the league and the player's union struck this week grants "broad powers to all players to opt out of the 2021 season, regardless of whether they opted out in 2020 or whether they have been diagnosed with a higher-risk condition since October 1, 2020."

That's a major card to hold for Rodgers and there isn't a lot of time left so there might be some fireworks within the next week. Going into 2021 with Jordan Love as your starting QB means no playoffs and Green Bay knows that. They can use that as a developmental year but by all accounts he isn't going to turn into a quality NFL starter.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2021, 03:31:21 pm »

Lot of rumors swirling that Rodgers is going to retire. Don't know if it's a bluff but something might happen within the next week.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2021, 05:52:54 pm »

Davante Adams and the Packers have broken off contract talks and it's said to be pretty bad between the two right now. I think Adams knows Rodgers is gone and he wants out too.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2021, 01:55:56 pm »

Rodgers is staying. Interesting to see if that has any effect on Adams.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 01:24:04 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2021, 02:46:29 pm »

Rodgers is staying. Interesting to see if that has any affect on Adams.

Haha, I just saw this on Twitter. He definitely wants out but the timing of everything worked against him. With free agency and the draft over, rosters are set. Sure, you do your best to make room for Aaron Rodgers if you can but how many teams have the cap room left in late July? Not to mention, future draft picks are worth less than current draft picks but the time has passed for that.

With Rodgers staying one more year, I don't think Adams extends. He will have another monster year and try to leave town if he isn't tagged. Broncos are probably the top suitors for 2022 although if Tua doesn't work out for us, we will look like a nice destination.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2021, 09:17:41 pm »

Rodgers had very little leverage in this situation; the only real threat he could make was to retire.  I'd say he made out pretty well, considering:

- 2023-24 year is voided
- Rodgers gets to choose whether he will play for GB or be traded elsewhere for the 2022-23 season
- GB agrees not to use a franchise tag on him in the future (if he stays)

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2021, 09:50:49 pm »

Rodgers had very little leverage in this situation; the only real threat he could make was to retire.  I'd say he made out pretty well, considering:

- 2023-24 year is voided
- Rodgers gets to choose whether he will play for GB or be traded elsewhere for the 2022-23 season
- GB agrees not to use a franchise tag on him in the future (if he stays)

Yeah, he definitely made out very well all things considered. Such a bizarre situation and it's obvious this isn't about money. He just wants out. That Love 1st round pick could've set this franchise back 10 years if he doesn't work out.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2021, 01:35:09 am »

Yeah, he definitely made out very well all things considered. Such a bizarre situation and it's obvious this isn't about money. He just wants out. That Love 1st round pick could've set this franchise back 10 years if he doesn't work out.

Rodgers doesn't have 10 years in him. If anything it advances the inevitable.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray