Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:10:17 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Teams don’t punt anymore?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Teams don’t punt anymore?  (Read 815 times)
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« on: December 25, 2022, 08:45:28 pm »

Is it just me, or are teams going for it a lot more on 4 and short this season than ever before?

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2022, 11:07:52 pm »

They are.  They are finally figuring out what some of us have known for a decade.

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 11:15:19 am »

The question is, has it helped them win? I think that's much more debateable. How many times have you seen a team go for it on 4th down, convert and still get nothing out of the drive and punt anyway? How many times have teams not gotten the 1st down? Cost Green Bay a FG trying to go for it with a fake punt in their own territory. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I think it makes more sense if you have a good offense as opposed to a good defense. If your defense is better than your offense, I think punting and playing for field position is the better option still.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2022, 12:51:22 pm »

The question is, has it helped them win? I think that's much more debateable. How many times have you seen a team go for it on 4th down, convert and still get nothing out of the drive and punt anyway? How many times have teams not gotten the 1st down? Cost Green Bay a FG trying to go for it with a fake punt in their own territory. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I think it makes more sense if you have a good offense as opposed to a good defense. If your defense is better than your offense, I think punting and playing for field position is the better option still.

Statistically, it leads to more wins, but some games won't work out. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2022, 09:58:21 am »

Statistically, it leads to more wins, but some games won't work out.  
Is that just an assumption?

I don't think there's proof of that at least not for every team. In my opinion if your offense is much better than your defense than it's maybe a decent assumption but if your defense is about on par with your offense, I don't think it is and perhaps that's why the thinking has changed a bit. Offenses have become more important than defenses and it wasn't always like that.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 10:00:56 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2022, 07:26:01 pm »

Is that just an assumption?

I don't think there's proof of that at least not for every team. In my opinion if your offense is much better than your defense than it's maybe a decent assumption but if your defense is about on par with your offense, I don't think it is and perhaps that's why the thinking has changed a bit. Offenses have become more important than defenses and it wasn't always like that.

Some mathematician did a statistical analysis on punting vs going for it and concluded that teams punted way too often.   

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray